This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too close and no comfort in Death Valley

An entry on herd mentality reminded me of this one. Many years ago, after I just retired from the Army, I and the family spent three months traveling around the western US. Our final destination was Death Valley. When we pulled up to the 150 space camp site, we found we were absolutely alone. It was August and about 115 during the day so not too many people camping. That's how I liked it. Sometime during the night, another group arrived. They drove around the camp site twice looking for a spot. They then decided the best spot was the one closest to mine. You could reach out and touch both my tent and theirs. Some people just have to be close to others.

Maybe they were hoping that when Jason shows up, he takes you out first, giving them time to escape.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Safety in numbers? I second the idea that they didn't want to be too far away from the only other people in the area.

Comment

Reminds me of when I bought The Most Beautiful Car In The Universe. Loved that thing. When it was a couple of weeks old, I went to the local mall. I parked out in the south 40 lot; I was the only car there. When I came out, there was one other car. Parked right next to me. And there was a ding in my door.

Comment

This happens to me ALL THE TIME when we go out to try and get some solitude. I just can't fathom how out of scores of places they always think the best spot is next to us.
          Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth gbsi View Post
            Our final destination was Death Valley.
            *snerk*

I really hate when people do this. Especially in the ladies' room.
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Oh yeah, I know this wheeze. It used to happen to me on the bus all the time. Like, geeze, it's 10pm, I'm going home from uni. There's maybe 5 people on the bus when I get on and I pick a seat all to myself. Headphones on, giant textbook with itty bitty printing open on my lap.

Bus stops at next stop, lady gets on. Instead of picking her own seat, she comes all the way to the back of the bus and sits in MINE. And starts talking to me. Then gets offended when I ignore her. She gets even more offended when I get up and squeeze past her to pick a new seat because she just won't shut up and I'm trying to study.

I'm not a social creature. But people behave around me like cats do when you try and ignore them. It just makes them want to get all up in your space and force you to interact.

Sometimes I really hate people.
              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                Bus stops at next stop, lady gets on. Instead of picking her own seat, she comes all the way to the back of the bus and sits in MINE. And starts talking to me. Then gets offended when I ignore her. She gets even more offended when I get up and squeeze past her to pick a new seat because she just won't shut up and I'm trying to study.
                When I'm on a half-empty bus, I always put my backpack on the seat beside me & sit with my back against the side of the bus & the thigh nearest the back on the seat (not my shoe, just above the knee, honest!) Amazing how few people are willing to sit down when I look up over the top of my glasses & glare.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                X