Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naughty way of getting my debit card details...(with bonus stories!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naughty way of getting my debit card details...(with bonus stories!)

I was shopping for interview clothes yesterday, and after I got myself a lovely skirt-suit from Marks and Spencer, I went to Dorothy Perkins and got myself a blood-red blouse to go with. After trying it all on together I took it over to the counter to pay (where I also saw some job vacancies to apply for yaaay).

Anyway, as the girl is ringing up my blouse she asks me if I'd like to sign up for this points system where you can collect stamps with a purchase and then get money off. Virgin Records back in the day used to do this, and nowadays I have a Tesco Clubcard, a Superdrug points card, a Debenhams Beauty Points card (rarely used XD), a Gamestation points card and even a Hot Topic points card (also rarely used, as I live in the UK :P). I am all for free points cards...the information you give them can be quite minimal and nearly all of those cards (except the Debenhams one) has given me a saving at some point. So I said "sure, why not".

I need to point out here, that she actually showed me the thing in which you collect your stamps- a little paper-card (not plastic card) thing folded in two, with little boxes printed in. She's already given me one stamp in one box. She did not say ANYTHING about a store card nor did she appear to be holding one. She asked me to move over with her to the next checkout, where she said she needed me to listen to this one phone call quickly.

I thought this was odd, but obliged. I was put on the line and the automated voice said (while mentioning nothing about a store card once again) that I should have been given a booklet to read first, and to press 1 if I had, or 2 if I hadn't. Alarm bells now ringing, I press 2, and it disconnects, which i tell the cashier. She says she can give me the information booklet and then says "Can I just see your debit card, the one you were paying with?"

It was in my hand- I had actually already inserted it into the Chip and Pin reader before we moved, so thinking that it was just for the process of the transaction, passed it over. Then she whipped out a form and started taking the details off it.

This wasn't happening.

Me: "Excuse me, but, why do you need that information?"

Cashier: "Oh well, you see, because its a store card-"

And there, those fateful words were finally uttered, after she was halfway through writing my card number.

So I interrupted and said sorry, but I didn't realise it was a store card, I said I thought it was going to be more like my Waterstones or Superdrug card and that I didn't want a store card. I said sorry for the misunderstanding (as I had just handed her my CV and I didn't want her to get annoyed and just bin it!), paid for my blouse and went on my way.

But in all honesty, I think that was very naughty! She did not mention anything about a store card, and only told me why she wanted that information when I realised she was copying it down. Once again, also quite sneaky as I was actually making a purchase at this point and had my card out ready. I wouldn't just whip it out for no reason!

I was telling Bear about this and he told me that being stalked by retail companies is becoming more common in the US:

Bonus Story! Farting in Radio Shack!

He said that the local Radioshack really started to get on his nerves as anytime he went in there, even to get the smallest thing, they would pester him for as much personal infomation as possible- address, phone numbers etc. They weren't offering customers to sign up to something, just taking this stuff down by not explaining why. Bear always refused to say anything, but on the last occasion he got rather annoyed by their badgering behaviour.

He was literally buying a pack of batteries and they were bugging him for all his personal details.

So he outright said "What, you stalking me or something?"

To which the cashier said "Oh no, man, we're just gonna sign you up so you can get all this stuff."

Bear: "But I don't want it."

Cashier: "But you'll get all this cool free stuff in the mail and stuff-"

*rinse and repeat- Bear does not want, Cashier wants desperately to give.

Bear: "Dude, I'm buying batteries! You do not need my details for batteries!"

Bear finally buys his batteries without relinquishing any details...but being an evil, beary Bear, he pauses at the door, lifts one leg and, in his own words "farted as loudly and smellylily as I could" and said "Suffer!" before quickly closing it, trapping the death cloud inside, with the hapless Cashier...

Bonus Suck The Second: Loss of all Tact (Self Sighting)

This was not worth a post of its own. But you know, many of you have mentioned the "do you work here" stories on numerous occasions. Up until now, it has only ever happened to me when I'm in a Claire's Accessories...thats because I dress Goth and Claire's has a relaxed dress code (the manager of one locally has pink dreads). Doesn't bother me there.

But apparently, being out of work for about a month and a half has had a detrimental affect on my ability to be tactful and polite towards strangers.

Either that, or Good Friday shopping just turns you into a prick, which is also likely.

Why were we shopping In Asda on Good Friday? Good question, I had forgotten for a bit. But unlike the majority of the idiots we had the pleasure of bumping into on Friday afternoon, my dad and I have a Mummy who has been bed-bound for days. Won't go into too much details, but having a fibroid can be very painful and the drugs knock her out, so she wasn't able to shop during the week. So we decided to go, right when people panic because a bank holiday weekend is approaching and little is open on Easter Sunday.

I was looking for interview clothes then as well, and I went into George's fitting rooms to try on some trousers. I was queuing up, wearing a black pair of jeans, New Rock boots, a black hoody with kitty ears on the hood and an evil kitty pathc on the breast, and black and pink evil bunny bag. And a lady comes up to me and asks:

"Do you work here?"

And I knew that I ought to be rearranging my face into the "customer service" face I have worn so long, I knew I ought to assume a polite voice, and instead I said:

"Pfft! Does it really look like it?"

To which, she hung her head slightly and said "No, not really," quietly.

To which I thought I ought to say something to be polite, but I think I just made things worse with; "I'm sorry, but it was just such a silly question!"

*face desk*

I suck XD

Nah, you weren't sucky; why should you even pretend to be nice to people that clueless unless you really do work there?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I know we are supposed to want to be nice to retail workers but I'd report that shop assistant to M&S. 1)Even if it is a store card she doesn't need to take your debit card details at the till and 2)She clearly didn't give you the required information before trying to sign you up.

I know we've seen a lot of pressure for selling the extras including possible firings but that is still too far!
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

While I understand the frustration of being hounded for unnecessary personal details, it's not fair to take it out on the cashier.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
          He said that the local Radioshack really started to get on his nerves as anytime he went in there, even to get the smallest thing, they would pester him for as much personal information as possible- address, phone numbers etc.
          The US Radio Shacks used to do that. They must have gotten a lot of complaints because for the past few years they no longer ask for that information. At least the few I shop at don't. Or maybe the economy forced them to cut down on all the flyers they liked to mail out to the addresses they collected.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Personally, I've had problems with literally every single thing I've ever bought at Radio Shack, so I won't go there anymore for anything, but when I used to shop there, they would ask for my ZIP code and I think my phone number. I never got anything special from them because of it, either.

When I signed up for a store "bonus card" at one supermarket, they wanted my social sec. #. I asked why. They said if you want to cash checks there, they would need that. I never do that so I declined to put it down. Still got the bonus card, which gets you good sale prices on things.

The stupidest reason anybody wanted my SSN was the library, "in case someone steals your card."
            I told them, "dude, if someone steals my wallet, I highly doubt they're going to head straight here, borrow a bunch of books on my card and rack up a bunch of fines." Plus, if someone else is using my card, how exactly is the library going to know it's not me? There's no photo on those.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Personally I don't see that you or Bear were sucky.

1) Your first story - you were polite and simply said "no".
              2) In Bear's story - he kept saying "no" in the first place. I see no suck in being "rude" if they refuse to listen to the first few "no"s.
              3) Last story ... eh, you're a customer. You have no requirement to put on a CSR face.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                The US Radio Shacks used to do that. They must have gotten a lot of complaints because for the past few years they no longer ask for that information. At least the few I shop at don't. Or maybe the economy forced them to cut down on all the flyers they liked to mail out to the addresses they collected.
                They haven't done that in at least a decade. And yes, I was one of the people who couldn't see the point of having to give my address...on a 35-cent resistor purchase. There was no reason, other than compiling a list to sell to telemarketers, for them to have that info. But, if they persisted, at least I could mess with them. I'd give them the address to my dad's old office building. After my dad's ad agency moved out of there, someone set the building next door on fire destroying both. If Radio Shack really wanted to send junk mail to any "customers" at those addresses, more power to them
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

A friend of mine used to have the addresses for various retail establishments and the head offices memorized. Whenever he'd be asked for an address, he'd give out one to whichever company had annoyed him the most recently.

Comment

i don't remember if they still do that.

i know i gave my bf's number to the one down the road from us, but that was only because i was getting a protection plan on the card reader i was buying for him.

he did try to upsell me with batteries twice but ... yeah we don't need batteries. we have a lot of them as it is. but hey if they're like my store they get good marks for selling protection plans, so he got that at least (and didn't even have to upsell it either since i asked for the plan myself).

Comment

I agree with Real, as it was a little overly stupid to ask. But I bet you looked cute in that outfit while you said it. x]

And kudos to Bear, for that release of gastrointestinal revenge. I tip my fedora to you, sir!
                      People may think I am a Satanist, but I'm really not.

Why would I worship those that I rule?

Comment

Due to a house move I have recently found the perfect response to the "Can-we-just-have-your-number-for-research-not-a-telemarketing-list-honest-pretty-please-with-sprinkles" type questions.

"I don't have a telephone"

In these days where everyone seems to have at least one phone (Mobile or landline) it completely throws them for a loop.

Online forms that require a telephone number before it'll let you submit them have been the bane of the last three weeks for me though.

Comment

"I don't have a telephone"

I would be particularly inclined to use this line while talking to them on the telephone you have just mentioned you don't have. Then ask them to take your number off their database, hang up quickly and have the joy of imagining them thinking that little nugget of information over...

"Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I did that once. The guy called back! It was rather funny, and he said he understood that I wanted to be removed from the calling list.
                            Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. - Elbert Hubbard

Comment

This is one of the main reasons I keep my VOIP landline. It's the cheapest they have, no long distance, barely local, limited everything, because it's the number I give out to people or companies when I never, ever want to talk to them, or get sales calls, or have my number sold, and so on.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X