This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise ship sighting

My wife and I just got back from a week long Norweigan cruise. Several sightings, nothing worth speaking until departure. While in line at customs I saw by all appearances an able bodied woman being wheeled around by a ship employee. I made several comments to my wife but kept it mostly to myself. Maybe she had a real problem after all.

Just a few minutes ago she told me the rest of the story. She did not tell me earlier as my comments would have been much louder and directed right at the woman. During departure on the ship there is a line of employees with wheelchairs ready. We were sitting near them and my wife saw this. The woman came up to the employees and asked them how much it cost. When they replied that the wheelchairs were a complementary service to their disabled customers she suddenly became unable to walk on her own and demanded wheelchair service.
    Last edited by ReverendBSB; 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM. Reason: Removed reference to customer's skin colour

BITCH needs to be slapped.

Comment

What the fraggin .....

That is just NOT ON!
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Lazy is not a disability it is a choice. If you want to see a bunch more like her spend the day at Walmart and watch who rides the motorized carts 90% of the time.

Comment

Reverend:

I do appreciate you having kept your comments to yourself until you actually heard the full story. I am, to all appearances, perfectly healthy. Until you've seen me after trying to walk 'too far'.

(How far is 'too far'? It varies from day to day. But the signs are unmistakeable. I'm limping, my skin colour goes greyish, I lost the ability to maintain proper posture ... and that's about when my family insists that I rest. So I'm not sure what would happen next.)
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Pharm Girl View Post
            Lazy is not a disability it is a choice. If you want to see a bunch more like her spend the day at Walmart and watch who rides the motorized carts 90% of the time.
            I work at grocery stores, so I see it every day.

Comment

Yeah, can't really say anything since we don't know if she has a hidden health problem. After what we deal with and post about here, I know my knee-jerk reaction would be 'lazy woman.' Now, if I heard her BRAGGING about it or something later, that would be another story!
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                Now, if I heard her BRAGGING about it or something later, that would be another story!

Having previously worked for Norwegian Cruise Line...I can't tell you how many times we dispatched crew with wheel chairs only to have the guest come back and complain that if we provide the service they expect to be able to get a wheelchair to be carted around if they "didn't feel like walking" Or, "the "real" disabled already should have their own personal chairs.
                My personal walk away moment was when the lady told me to get off my lazy ass (I worked the front desk..standing all day thank you) and get her a chair and take her where she wants...since this is her "dream vacation" and if I refused, she would make sure I was living on the street. Very smug...
                Someone else did it for her, and they ended up taking her from bar to bar so she could get drunk and then get carted back to her cabin when she was finished.
                Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

This interests me because I'm going on a cruise with Norweigan next year... what was it like? My sister went once and said it was great.

Comment

Agreed with you cant judge unless you really knkw. I can walk perfectly well. However due to nerve injury I dont feel pain in my feet. I currently have an open wound on my left foot that continues to be injurd when I walk on it. So I am one of those supposid lazy fat people that use the motorized chairs in stores. I dont want to use them. I hate it but at the same time I dont want to loose my foot. Hopefully it will eventually heal. I miss walking.

Comment

I also look healthy, but if I stand/walk to long my legs start shaking I get dizzy and I have to sit down. I still don't use a wheelchair (I am stubborn)..those who need it are more then welcome to use them, those that don't..yes..they make me angry.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I wish we could all have a chest full of ribbons like the military for our (proven) accomplishments and disabilities...

Mine would include Ornery Old Coot, Blind As A Bat, HSD, Allowed Younger Siblings To Survive...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                          This interests me because I'm going on a cruise with Norweigan next year... what was it like? My sister went once and said it was great.
                          Norwegian is great. Freestyle dining. No assigned seating or dining times. Several sit down restaurants, a buffet, a 24 hour diner and room service all free. Then they have several nicer restaurants that charge a cover, usually from 10 to 25. Steakhouse, Asian fusion, teppanyaki, sushi, Italian, French, and maybe more depending on the ship. Drinks can be expensive but you can sneak on your own liquor in a mouthwash bottle. And you can bring on any of your own non alcoholic beverages.

Lots to do, lots of fun.

Comment

Working...
                          X