Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was someone's hero :) (long, but then it seems all my stories are)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was someone's hero :) (long, but then it seems all my stories are)

BG: During the Easter weekend I attended a convention in Boston. I was traveling with my wife, my 10 month-old boy, and the in-laws.

Friday's Timeline (not exact times, but close enough)

1:45am: my wife and I leave our friends at the hotel bar and we make our way to bed. We need to get up around 7 for the shuttle to the convention center.

2:30am: Baby Rainman wakes up, I feed him a bottle and put him back to sleep.

3amish: Fire Alarm goes off! We have to evacuate the floor! FML! takes about 5 minutes to get everyone up and dressed enough to get downstairs and outside.

(Just as a side note here, my son was a hoot during all this, he was giggling and laughing and was just loving all the people around him. A nice lady said he was making this whole ordeal bearable, sorry, new dad pride here

4amish: we go back to the our rooms as the all clear is given

4:15am: the official all clear is blared out of the same speakers as the alarm was.

5amish: Fire alarm goes off again, we later found out it wasn't reset properly, I tell my family to leave me to die in the fire, as I just want to sleep.

530ish: blaring all clear is given again.

6:45am: Baby Rainman wakes up for good, so that means the rest of us do too!

Mrs. Rainman and I head down to the lobby to meet up with our party to hit up the shuttle. Wouldn't you know the line was already too long to make the 7am departure, so we will wait for the 8am one. I head over to the desk to see if any more details of the night's fun have been learned by the staff. It's still early, and there are only two people at the desk, both of whom have large lines. I'm not going anywhere so I wait. The guy in front of me starts to reveal himself as the SC here. I started listening when his voice started to get loud.

(Paraphrasing)

SC: This is bulls**t! I was kept up all night because of that alarm! My day is going to be horrible now because I got no sleep, and you are telling me XXX hotel isn't going to comp my night?!

HotelEmployee (small girl, visibly shaken at this verbal assault): As I said sir, I am sorry for your night, but XXX hotel was in no way at fault, I've already told you that another guest who was drunk thought it would be a great joke to pull the alarm, and the police already have him in custody, I dont understand what else you want me to do.

SC: I want you to comp last night because I didn't get any sleep at all you stupid little b***h! I frequent this hotel all the time and I can't believe you aren't doing more for your guests!

(This went on and on for another 5 minutes or so, and being quite grumpy with a lack of sleep myself, I kinda blew up at him)

Rainman: DUDE! get your f**king head out of your f**king ass! She's told you how many f**king times you aren't getting a free night! JESUS, there is a line behind you, you f**king dick! Quit yelling at the woman and go jump into traffic!

(alot of F bombs yes, but I was tired and he made me mad )

SC did an about face, saw that I am much bigger then him and with a few mumbled parting shots, walked off.

Folks, HotelEmployee looked at me with a smile of wonder that children probably give the shopping mall santas the first time they see him.

HE: Oh my god thank you! You are my hero right now do you know that? I have never been talked to like that and I was about to start crying because this is only my second week here as MOD (she started rambling)

Rainman: Well sorry I swore so much, he's right about the lack of sleep, but he shouldn't have been talking to you like that, plus you were right, how is it XXX hotel's fault some drunk asshole did that?

HE: well as a thank you from me and as an apology for your less than satisfactory stay XXX hotel will pay for your last night's stay sir.

I told her she didn't have to do that but she insisted. She then asked me what I was doing that night! lol. I showed her my wedding band and said I was flattered but spoken for.

So I didn't mean for this to be me tooting my own horn, but an SC was involved so I thought I would share. Laters!

How sweet it is to be Karma's hammer from time to time! Well done.

Comment

You rock! That guy was an idiot. I'm sure you made that poor girl's day!

Something very similar happened to me at a con, years ago. Their alarm went off a bunch of times one night, and the next day I heard FIVE different stories as to why. AFAIK the real reason was that it was a new system and had a few glitches in it.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Your story reminds me of when my family stayed at Great Wolf Lodge for the Military Ball, having all those men in small quarters and giving them booze? Not a good idea. We went to bed, and woke up to the alarm blaring! We started heading down when we were told it was a false alarm and to go back to our rooms. I felt a bit sorry for all those new parents running for the exit with their children in their arms. The alarm would go off all night, and didn't find out til the next day that a drunk soldier had pulled a sprinkler out! And they couldn't fix it until at least 2:58 that morning, I remember, cause that's when the alarm last sounded and I looked at the alarm clock. We however got a comp...

Comment

Alarm pulls in the middle of the night at a con? Happened before, and it'll happen again, I'm sure. Sucks one hell of a lot, but what can the hotel do about a drunk being a dick? Especially after he's been caught.

Way to own the SC. I would have paid money to see that.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

That was wonderful.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Rainman this world needs more people like you. Alot more.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                Rainman this world needs more people like you. Alot more.
                Hells yeah, that was awesome man
                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                What's the difference?
                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Now I'm stuck wondering if you were at PAX or at AB >.>
                  I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

I tell my family to leave me to die in the fire, as I just want to sleep.

Yeah, that would be me too. I don't like not getting my zzzzzs!

Awesome that you were rewarded in the end. Ah, the universe is a mysterious thing!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Taurus52 View Post
                      How sweet it is to be Karma's hammer from time to time! Well done.
                      Agreed!

Comment

Working...
                      X