This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Quiet!

My cousin, B, wrote an essay about the Holocaust. Her teacher submitted it to a state-wide contest and she won first place. B had to go to Raleigh on Sunday to receive her award during a Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day is April 19th, but this one was held late for some reason), ceremony.

B's parents (Aunt D & Uncle R), Aunt C, Uncle F, Mom, and I went along. The ceremony was a humbling experience. Jay Ipson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_M._Ipson was the main guest speaker. The program lasted two hours and had songs, prayer, interpertive dance, and guest speakers.

The only bad part was the two women behind me that would not shut up. Seriously... the only time they were quiet was during the moment of silence after a prayer for all of the victims of the Holocaust. They provided a comentary on everything... Why is he (Mr. Ipson) wearing a cowboy hat? That girl has a lovely voice. Aren't those kids cute (a boy scout troop was the color guard). That girl's dress is adorable (talking about B). Why is he blowing the shofar (a trumpet of sorts made out of a ram's horn) that way? Just on and on... It was very hard to hear and a news crew was filming the ceremony.

At one point during a segue, I turned around to ask them to please be quiet, but Mom stopped me saying I would be embarrising B. Later, Aunt C said she felt like smacking them upside the head with her program. B said the woman that handed her the award for her essay said, "Congradulations, Wanda," instead of B's name that is no where close to that, but I didn't hear it.

I hate it when people do that. Back in 2000, my sister was the valedictorian for her high school class and as such had to give a speech during the graduation ceremony. During her speech, the people behind us would /not/ shut up. Laughing, giggling, making little jokes between each other. My uncle finally turned around and said 'Will you people shut up?? I'm trying to hear my niece!' They quieted down a bit but they were whispering between themselves, still loud enough for us to hear it, likely grumbling about being told to shut up because at a few points they pointed at my uncle's back. Some people just don't care.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

The people talking should have been embarrassed. Asking someone to behave civilly is acceptable.

Personally, I have a glare of iced spear death that I employ.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Oh I HATE that!

We went to a concert years ago by Charlotte Church. Some idiots behind us starting singing along. I paid to hear someone with a fantastic voice, not Ms. Average Jane, damn it!!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
        X