This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearly you don't have children...

Said to me as, seconds from her grasping hand, I snatched up to safety the last Rainbow Dash toy from the shelf of a local supermarket. We were standing in the toy section, and I just had to have Rainbow Dash. The woman, with her oh so disappointed daughter (actually, she was tapping away at some kind of electrical game device), glared at me and said her piece.

"Clearly, you don't have children."

I replied, "Actually, I have four."

Silence. I went to pay for my prize. No, I don't have children, but I do have four neices and nephews; I just left that last bit off. xD
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

bwahaha XD very cool!

Comment

Score!

Seriously, what does having children have to do with whether or not you picked up the toy she wanted?
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Well, with that kind of person, if it makes sense, then it's not allowed! XD I'd bet that she's an SC as well who comes up with the "everyone else lets me!" excuse whenever thwarted.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Well, if the child was obviously crushed, I would have given it up. But since it seems the kid wasn't even that interested, good for you.

I kind of think maybe the woman wanted the toy and not the girl at all.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I'd have gone with something like, "Generosity isn't my strong suit, but honesty is. You're a bitch."

In all seriousness, I have a fairly simple rule with toy collecting that if a kid at the time clearly wants something that I'm getting, and it's reasonably suited to their age group, then I let them have it if their parents are willing. Otherwise, nope, I got it, it's mine, and no amount of parental whining is going to take it away.

Since the kid didn't seem to want it, you're perfectly in the clear.

Comment

*yay* I nearly have all of the ponies; just need Applejack now. If I can't buy her in a shop, I guess I'll have to go online. XD

I just don't understand some parents; they put so much emphasis on getting the right toy, then the child doesn't even notice. Some people I used to know bought their toddler a giant toy garage... which the child promptly ignored and started playing with the box.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                Score!

Seriously, what does having children have to do with whether or not you picked up the toy she wanted?
                because some mothers LOVE playing the "I have children" card.

Comment

Apparently adults aren't allowed to collect toys in her world. She's go nuts around my place. My wife and I both collect toys, but from different lines.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  *yay* I nearly have all of the ponies; just need Applejack now. If I can't buy her in a shop, I guess I'll have to go online. XD
                  I'd help you out, Lance, but I have enough problems finding any of the toys over here, except for the first wave of mystery bags.

And I've now had three different people (beyond Seraph's request) wondering if I was going to San Diego Comic Con and if I can bring them back the exclusive.

(No, I'm not going, but I am actively trying to find one of my friends that is...)
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I fully agree with the 'Toys are not just for little kids' idea. Yesterday, I was trying to find Sailor Moon merchandise at Target (there was none. ) and passed by a display of Brave toys. I almost bought one of the Merida dolls they had.

My mom and I, on our way out of the mall, *did* stop at Subway, though, to order a kid's meal so we could get one of the Brave bags.
                    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

This woman's head would implode, methinks, if she knew just how many adults watch and love My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. And how many are men. XD

I watched the show the moment it came out, cuz as a little girl I played with My Little Ponies and watched the show, and the new one is a zillion times better than the old one... wait, wrong expression? Oh fine, I'll bite.

It's 20% cooler!
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                        Apparently adults aren't allowed to collect toys in her world. She's go nuts around my place.
                        She'd have a fit at my place too. Between the Lego collection and the toy cars...her mind would explode
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                          Apparently adults aren't allowed to collect toys in her world. She's go nuts around my place.
                          Quoth protege View Post
                          She'd have a fit at my place too. Between the Lego collection and the toy cars...her mind would explode
                          Same here. My DVD collection is mostly Disney animated movies.

Comment

She would have fun seeing my room with posters, t-shirts of various things (Lion King ftw) stuffed animals and Batman stuff.

Now if the kid truely wanted it, I would give up and let them have it. Hell, I gave up my Batman wrist band to a kid I didn't know cause he loved Batman as much as I do.

Comment

Right now, underneath my monitor I have ...

From left to right...
                              Admiral Ackbar, miniature Silence, miniature blue Dalek, miniature Doctor 11 in a dark brown tweed, miniature Doctor 11 in a light brown tweed, Amy Pond (5 inch version), wind up TARDIS (4 inches tall which makes amy look like a giant)

There are stuffed animals here but most of them are put away in some fashion as to not tempt the doggy. Cos she's well behaved but lately she's been picking one item a week or so to chew on. as if she doesn't have enough toys and bones to play with....
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X