Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not talking business when I'm eating dinner, thanks.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not talking business when I'm eating dinner, thanks.

So. My friend and I met up at one of our favorite restaurants last night. This place is located right on the water, has an outdoor bar, and thus is a popular destination during the warm months. My friends and I are regulars there as we stop by after work once a week to have dinner and a few drinks.

The bar was VERY crowded, but we luckily got seats and started looking through the menu. A guy on the other side of me started talking to us and generally telling us his life story in between taking shots with this buddies. I'm rather quiet with new people and this guy was starting to make me irritated already by putting his arm on the back of my chair and squeezing me in a side-hug a couple of times. He wasn't exactly flirting with me or my friend because he kept talking about his wife. He was just getting nice and toasted with a side of obnoxious.

ANYWAY... he asked us how my friend and I know each other. My friend said that we met while working for the same company, but that we've been besties for a few years. He asked us where we worked and she told him which bank it was.

That was it. His eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas and he went on a spiel about the banking industry and how horrible banks are blah blah blah. THEN he asked about the rates we were offering on different types of mortgages, etc.

My friend and I are tellers. Actually, I am in a position where I have some capabilities to do customer service things at the teller line, but mortgages and other loans are referred to specific people in our company. The tellers are told NOT to go into details about rates because it is different for every individual dependent on credit/income/debt.

We both told him that and tried to get back to attempting to order our meals. He kept asking WHY won't we give him details? WHY can't we just tell him some inside information. The OTHER bank told him THIS and could we match that rate?

My friend just about had it. She said we were tellers. We don't have the information he wanted, we are trying to have a peaceful dinner and if he wanted to speak to someone, here's the number of our customer service line and you can ask all the questions you want to someone who is actually on duty and getting paid to put up with him.

He was blown away. A couple minutes later he got his jacket and he and one of his buddies quietly left the bar to go home. It. Was. Brilliant.

I love my friend!

This story reminded me of this clip from The Room
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvfau1fWrI
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

exactly right.

you're on your off time. you shouldn't have to wear your "employee hat" just cos he wants you to serve him

Comment

Working...
      X