This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with your thread title - wow.

That attitude sure sums up a lot of what's wrong in the world, though. No job is so "low" that the person doing it doesn't deserve respect. The jobs need doing, from digging ditches to retail to running companies, and whoever is doing them should be respected, regardless of the size of their paychecks.

So a person is in a low paying job, big deal, you obvious need someone to do that job for you or you wouldn't be there, so be thankful someone is willing to do it.

Who the blazes are they to judge? Anyone working a low paying job could be doing it for any of a hundred reasons - going to school, laid off from a better job, they don't need a big paycheck and that job just suits them, or heck, maybe they don't even need money at all but want to keep busy and enjoy it? Doesn't matter. They're serving a useful purpose in society, providing a needed service, they're due all the respect given to anyone doing the same at any level job.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

In regards to corporate vs retail or other service jobs, I bet some of these white collar types also think they`re better than the cleaning and maintenance crews who look after the office buildings they work in. I`d like to see how well they get along without these supposedly poor and worthless cleaning and maintenance workers for a week or so. Let`s see how they like dealing with overflowing garbage cans, dirty bathrooms, burnt out lightbulbs, fruit flies, rodents, and all the other assorted shades of nasty that a sizable office tower would turn into without the efforts of all those poor and worthless workers that they love to sneer at, right along with the retail workers that they apparently despise. And that`s just routine office cleaning and light maintenance- how would they like their office building`s air conditioning to crap out on one of the hottest days of the year, because the lowly grease monkeys who maintain it are no longer there? Given some businesspeople`s insistence on wearing full suits on the hottest of days, you can imagine how nasty that would get. Or how would they like to get stuck in an elevator for the same reason? Gee, shame all those lowly technicians all quit and got desk jobs!
      Last edited by Amanita; 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
        Working in a department store wasn't ever on my list of dream jobs, but it pays the bills and puts food on the table.
        And for some of us, life has a funny way of NOT working out like we'd planned it to.

I didn't dream of working in a grocery store when I was growing up . . . I wanted to work with computers or teach (actually both.)

But since college requires money and I couldn't get financial help to pay for it, more immediate needs had to be met (rent, food, utilities, gas for car, etc) and Mom couldn't do all that by herself (as her 2nd hubby had walked out on us right after I'd graduated HS) I had no other choice to but take whatever job I could find to help with life at home.

24+ years later, I'm still at it . . .it sure beats the alternative though. And I'm not a fan of being homeless, hungry and/or broke. So it is what it is.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Amanita View Post
          I`d like to see how well they get along without these supposedly poor and worthless cleaning and maintenance workers for a week or so.
          Yes, it's funny, that... they turn their noses up at cleaners and janitors and housekeepers, but how many of them would stay in a hotel room that wasn't clean? How quickly would they complain if a hospital ward wasn't spotless? Odd isn't it, how cleaning only becomes important when it's not done?
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Aren't these idiots with the superiority complex the same ones who bitch, whine and moan when, for any reason, a store is closed and they can't get in to shop?

So apparently, the world needs retail workers to keep those stores operating. If they all quit and got "better" jobs, who would put up with the unbelievable crap these EW's hand out?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Please forgive my little rant; this kind of bitchitude really chaps my hide.
              Quoth pageantmama quoting a troll View Post
              "If you work in retail, i assume you make minimum wage and are on food stamps. If you are my cashier, it is your job to respect me, it is not mine to respect you. Again, i assume you are poor and worthless. Get a respectable job and i will respect you. Until then, STFU and take my return or check me out, I have better things to do then waste any more time then i absolutely have to with your kind. "
              Oh, you ASSUME I am poor and worthless? Well, we all know what happens when you ASSUME: you make an ASS of U and ME! Though mostly of U, because let's face facts, the crap you dish out, you couldn't handle for ten seconds.

What you call "respect" is merely basic courtesy, and every person deserves that, unless they act like an asshole, then they deserve a good swift kick out the door. Yes, that means you.

And what's with this "your kind" crap? You and I are not different "kinds"; there is no caste system in the US. All citizens are equal under the law. And what, pray tell, do you consider a "respectable job"? Yes, I make minimum wage. I get real money for doing real work, pay real taxes, make a real contribution to society. I am a real person, not shit on your shoes, and you would not appreciate it if I were to treat you the way you treat me. Grow the hell up and start acting like a decent human being.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Speaking as a pizza delivery driver I WOULD LOVE to see some of these lazy couch potatoes have to get their asses out of that chair and actually have to go to a pizza place and pick up their own order.

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAA I have to use my own gas. I have to abuse my own car, I have to go out in this skin blistering mind numbing heat and get all sweaty and dirty and smelly and nasty. I WANNNNAAAA be lazy

I WANT DELIVERY!!!!!!!
                Sorry we no longer offer delivery serivce
                WAAAAHHHHHHHHHH WHY?????
                Because you kept telling our driver to get a "real" job, so they did. NOW no one wants to do a "unreal job". So sit in your own soup and stew.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The SC in the original post probably wouldn't think much of my job either. I'm a dishwasher. That's certainly not a 'real' job. Then again, I wonder how he'd like to go to his favorite restaurant and not be able to get any food because there weren't any clean pots and pans to cook with or dishes to put the food on?
                  Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I'll never understand the correlation some people make between a person's job or the size of their bank account and their worth as a human being. Maybe it's just what they have to tell themselves in order to feel better about their own miserable lives?
                    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I find it both hilarious and pathetic that most of these people refer to customer service oriented jobs as "Not real jobs!" Funny, I don't ever recall being paid in Monopoly money when I worked a customer service job.
                      My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                      My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        WWWWAAAAAAAAAAA I have to use my own gas. I have to abuse my own car, I have to go out in this skin blistering mind numbing heat and get all sweaty and dirty and smelly and nasty. I WANNNNAAAA be lazy

I WANT DELIVERY!!!!!!!
                        Sorry we no longer offer delivery serivce
                        WAAAAHHHHHHHHHH WHY?????
                        Because you kept telling our driver to get a "real" job, so they did. NOW no one wants to do a "unreal job". So sit in your own soup and stew.
                        It gets better.

WAAAHHHHH! I'm almost out of gas, and on my way to the pizza place all the gas stations had signs "no fuel available".

WAAAAHHHHHHHH! The pizza place is out of dough, cheese, and almost all the toppings.

Looks like the truck drivers went and got real jobs.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Looks like the truck drivers went and got reel jobs.
                          Yep. Gone fishing.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I wonder where this forum was...

Comment

I was thinking that, as well.

Bus drivers, train drivers, truck drivers.
                              The people who do nothing but stand at roadwork and flag which side can go down the one-lane that's available. (That's a clear 'not a real job' by their standards - but by mine it's crash prevention.)
                              As someone else said: janitors, repairmen, maintenance, yardwork, in all their endless variations, including road cleaning and graffiti removal.
                              Lifeguards.
                              Security officers.
                              Carers and nurses and counsellors and so forth.
                              Nappy (Diaper) cleaning services.

And so on, and so on, and so on.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I firmly believe that EVERYONE should have to work retail for 6-12 months, especially in a gas station. But definitely as a cashier somewhere.
                                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                                X