This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I'm at Subway...

Judging from some of these stories, it seems Subway attracts quite a few SCs.

I get there in the early afternoon, and it looked like I just missed the peak time, which was great. There was only one customer ahead of me, and I saw he was reading from a piece of paper, and indeed he had about a half-dozen orders. Another employee comes up to me and asks what I want. Cue SC:

SC: "Excuse me, I was here first."
    Employee: "Yes, sir, you are being helped at the moment. I'm helping the next in line."
    SC: "Whatever."

So, he gets my order, consisting of a single cold sandwich that could be made in 30 seconds. Meanwhile, the SC is on his fourth sandwich, and he isn't finished yet. The employee gestures to me to come to the register to get me rung up.

SC: "Hey, you're cutting!"
    Me: "You're not done yet."
    SC: "Well, you gotta wait until I am done! This isn't faiiiiiiir!"
    Employee: "I ring people up in the order their sandwiches are finished. He had one sandwich which could be prepared quickly. Your--"
    SC: "Well, if youuuuuu were alllllso helping meeee maybe we'd be finished, huh?"

Fortunately the SC didn't pursue the issue further, but he had a scowl for the rest of the time I was there. The employee did proceed to help make the remaining sandwiches for the SC.

The SC might have had a point that his order should have been done by two people at once from the beginning, but his irritating whiny tone and ridiculous expectation that his order should hold up the line indefinitely until his is finished just irked me.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Jesus. So he thought the entire staff of Subway should all gather around and make his 2,000 sandwiches that he couldn't freaking CALL IN and (in the process) ignore everyone else and end up backing the line out the door?

Great plan, genius.

Entitled asshole.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I'm so glad I don't eat at Subway.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That's just stupid. I've never been in a single Subway where multiple employees worked on a single large walk-in order. They seem to operate on the idea that you should understand that your large order will take time, and rightly so.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Perhaps he could even call his order in ahead of time. Just a thought.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

the one i use to go to had a rule that if you had more than 3 sammiches you had to call it in (or fax it in)

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              That's just stupid. I've never been in a single Subway where multiple employees worked on a single large walk-in order. They seem to operate on the idea that you should understand that your large order will take time, and rightly so.
              I would thnk it would be hard for two people to work on one order at Subway, since there's no "regular" way to fix a sandwich. As the customer tells exactly what they want on each sandwich, usually with the employee adding it as they tell them, trying to tell two employees what's wanted on two different sandwiches at the same time would be pretty confusing, and SC's are confused enough as it is.

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

And the one by me, one person starts the sandwich, bread, meat, cheese, it movesdown the line where toppings and condiments are added by a second person, and then a third rings you up. It works well but if they tried to do what pissy man wanted, it would have messed thigns up completley.

Comment

My God, what a whiner. I'm so glad the employees didn't cave and leave you stuck behind him
                  "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                    And the one by me, one person starts the sandwich, bread, meat, cheese, it movesdown the line where toppings and condiments are added by a second person, and then a third rings you up. It works well but if they tried to do what pissy man wanted, it would have messed thigns up completley.
                    This is the standard that the one I prefer to visit uses. It allows each section to build up that nice flow and keeps the line down.

Calling in larger orders just seems like common sense, because then you usually can just walk in, pick up the order, pay and leave. But common sense isn't as common as the name implies, now is it?
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I wonder what his answer would have been if you'd asked, "So, do you skip people in line at the buffet?"

Maybe that would help him see how asinine his expectations were.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                        I wonder what his answer would have been if you'd asked, "So, do you skip people in line at the buffet?"

Apples and Oranges to these people.

So long as they get ahead, they don't give a crap what rules get bent.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post

I was yelled at for skipping a line in a buffet in Vegas going directly to what I wanted. I just blew it off but really I have no idea what the etiquette is or if I was in the right or the wrong (if I was sure I was in the right I would have given the woman something to think about instead of ignoring her).

I was thinking more along the lines of a deli. Does this guy expect every deli employee to work on his order and not serve anyone else until he is all finished?
                          You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                            I was yelled at for skipping a line in a buffet in Vegas going directly to what I wanted. I just blew it off but really I have no idea what the etiquette is or if I was in the right or the wrong (if I was sure I was in the right I would have given the woman something to think about instead of ignoring her).
                            It depends on the layout of the buffet. When I was on a cruise with a buffet they had a very well-defined line, with the roped off areas and the "ENTER HERE" sign. If you didn't see anything like that, I think you were probably in the right. Most "restaurant-style" buffets you just go up to the individual food you want without waiting in line.

In my experience it's quite clear which buffets are which. If there's a long line of people, then chances are it's considered rude to cut in, but if there's only a few people or it looks like a free-for-all, there's nothing wrong with "cutting".
                            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                            Fiancee: What?!
                            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Most buffets I've encountered are set up so that it makes sense to follow the line all the way through. You pick up a tray and possibly a plate and glass at the beginning, then go through sections dealing with salad, hot food, bread, drinks and dessert (not necessarily in that order). You simply slide the tray up when there's space to do so.

If someone's being unreasonably slow, you can then pick up your tray and go around them. That seems to be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X