This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note I sent to corporate

I hope I didn't get the cashier in trouble. I had no issues with her.

I just wanted to pass on my experience this afternoon at (grocery store that has very high customer service standards). I had completed my shopping, entered the checkout lane and unloaded my groceries. Joking with my two daughters that the light was on but nobodies home. The bagger apologized and went looking for the cashier. The cashier on the next register and her bagger kept apologizing. She had a steady stream of customers otherwise she would have taken my items to her register and ring me up. After being unable to locate the cashier for several minutes. They got customer service to page her to return. When she got back she stated that she had been helping a customer. Luckily I wasn’t in a hurry and I wasn’t upset. She finished ringing my transaction and I wrote a check for the purchase amount plus ten dollars. Somehow the cashier mistyped the amount of my check. Instead of ten over it was ten and some change. When I pointed it out she didn’t know what to do. She wasn’t sure if she needed to give me the amount she entered or just give me ten. She sent the bagger to get a CSR named Micheal to help. Micheal was at the end of the row of registers by the pharmacy attempting to use a balloon and tape on a very long string to retrieve a couple of other balloons that were in the rafters. He initially ignored all attempts to get his attention. Finally when the bagger and cashier called out for him together. He yelled in reply loud enough to be heard throughout the entire front of the store “I AM BUSY!” The cashier then asked another bagger to please go over there and take the balloon away from him and tell him she needs his help. After she did that he finally came and took care of the problem. I again want to say I was not bothered by the absence of the cashier. I understand that she was helping another customer and couldn’t immediately return. I also wasn’t annoyed about the mistake she made on entering the amount of the check. Mistakes happen. However, I was highly offended by the response from the CSR. Balloons should not take priority over customers and yelling is completely inappropriate. Not only did it upset me it was shocking and embarrassing to all the other employees in the immediate area who had to keep apologizing.

Was I wrong to send the e-mail about this? I was just so shocked that I just wanted to leave instead of seeking a higher up manager at the time.

Sockpuppet

Frankly I would have asked for a manager immediately. That sort of behaviour on the part of the CSR is disgusting.
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
      Frankly I would have asked for a manager immediately. That sort of behaviour on the part of the CSR is disgusting.
      I understand it would have been better to do that however I am a very introverted person. It is very hard for me to immediately cope with situations like that.

Sockpuppet

Comment

I can't imagine our CSRs behaving in that way. Even if they're busy, they tell us they will be over as soon as they can. They have an urgency about being there for customers, as it's their JOB.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

If you are uncomfortable with face-to-face confrontations, then I see nothing wrong with an email. And provided you made it very clear that your complaint was about the CSR and not the cashier (and I'm guessing you did), I don't see any problem with how you handled it. The CSR was a mile out of line. The damn balloons aren't going anywhere, and even if they do ... what's the big deal??

Comment

Nothing wrong with sending a complaint by email. For retail/grocery stores, these comments are often seen by corporate (bigger bosses!) who will question the store's standards and push for action. When I worked at *big box retail*, a lot of face-to-face complaints were blown off. Not necessarily because the manager didn't care, but because they were so busy and not the direct supervisor of the employee being complained about. An email to corporate made the store take things seriously.

Honestly though, I'd be miffed about the disappearing cashier. If she was off helping a customer, she knew to turn off her light before leaving the register. Makes me think that she didn't turn off the light, because it would flag management that she had left her post.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Honestly though, I'd be miffed about the disappearing cashier. If she was off helping a customer, she knew to turn off her light before leaving the register. Makes me think that she didn't turn off the light, because it would flag management that she had left her post.
              It could be that she thought it would only take a second to assist the customer, and didn't think it was necessary to turn the light off - especially if she is partnered with a bagger who can say "Yes, unload your stuff she'll be back in just a minute." I mean, if I walked up to a light on register, and saw no cashier but a bagger, I'd inquire and if I was in a hurry I'd just move to a register that had a cashier standing there.

If not in a hurry I'd probably just unload my stuff and idle away on something else, I sometimes like errands to take a bit of time in order for me to process ideas I get while I'm wandering around.

At the big red bullseye, the off switch for the light is this tiny little thing at a decently high-height, I can't tell you how many times I stepped away from my register to take care of another duty then had to hoof it back ASAP because I forgot the light switch. It's just something that happens, not typically a sneaky run around management knowing she was away from her post.

Though if she was partnered with a bagger (as it sounds like she was) then the bagger could've flicked the switch off too.
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                At the big red bullseye, the off switch for the light is this tiny little thing at a decently high-height, I can't tell you how many times I stepped away from my register to take care of another duty then had to hoof it back ASAP because I forgot the light switch. It's just something that happens, not typically a sneaky run around management knowing she was away from her post.
                Plus, I can' tell you how many times as a cashier and as a manager that my higher ups have wanted us to do things (stock candy, zone jewelry and accessories, clean up dollar spot), and keep our lights on at the same time.

They want more and more of you.

Comment

She may be chastised for the light issue. However even you stated that you had no problem with that, or the delay.

and that the part you were upset over was the OTHER employee's childish outburst, and that... the only way to make him help was to take his toy away.

and then you closed with reminding them that the cashier was not the problem.

i think it should be OK.

Comment

Ok, update time.
                    I didn’t mention in the previous post (I didn’t think it would be relevant) my husband is in management at that grocery chain but not that store and not cs. I told him about it and he was shocked but also disappointed because to quote him. “Why does that stuff always happen when I am not there. I would have had no problem going to management or name dropping.” He personally knows almost every one of the managers at that store.
                    The next day while he was at work he was telling the story to his employees/co-workers (just conversationally) when he said the name of the offender one of his employees said “it must be another Michael. I don’t think it was my son.” Well it turns out it was her son. She must have said something because the next day he hand delivered an envelope to my husband for me. It was an apology note, though very generic. You could tell that he wasn’t sure what he did to offend.
                    This morning I got a phone call from the Customer Service Manager and explained what happened and did tell her about the apology note from him. I was able to give her the names of the cahier and the time of the incident. I had not thought to give that information when I first wrote the note. She assured me that she would talk to everyone and make sure that he realizes his mistake and that it wasn’t at the level of standards expected. She also confirmed that the cashier was the one that sent the bagger to take away the balloon and stated that it sounded like she at least did the right thing.

Comment

you know that's the ONLY way I think you can ever get a store to make an employee write an apology... Sic his mom after him!

I'm glad they took action for you though.

Comment

Working...
                      X