This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Bartender

This actually happened a couple of months ago, but I never got around to posting it. Not sure why.

This happened at a local bar that I used to go to all the time for karaoke, until the main karaoke guy quit. Since then, it changed ownership, and they started bringing karaoke back, so I gradually started going there again.

At the time, they only had it on Saturdays. Back in the day, they had it almost every night. One Saturday, I went with this couple that I'm friends with. They had money, so they decided to treat me this time. There was a new bartender working there, and she was not very pleasant to deal with. She kind of reminded me of the surly waitress from Tenacious D and the Pick up Destiny, both in appearance and attitude. Every time she served us, she just acted like it was a huge imposition for her. She also tried to call last call at 1:20, and wasn't happy when the other bartender -- who we knew from when we were regulars there before -- overrode her on it and told her to keep serving. And I thought she was going to have a fit when we ordered something after what she tried to make last call.

The following Saturday, we were looking for something to do again. We went back to that same bar, even though our last visit left a bad taste in our mouths. This time, my friends were broke, so I covered them. That same bartender was there, although she was a lot nicer this time. I was willing to chalk it up to her having a bad day. We all have them, and while we're not supposed to let it rub off on the customers, it happens to the best of us. Things were going great, until she tried to pull an early "last call" again. She brought me my check, and I thought it seemed a little high. But we did order food, and maybe we drank more than we thought, so I was about to pay it without question. Then I took a closer look and though, "WTF is this? None of us drinks Miller, and no one got shots!" I showed it up my friends, and they were just as confused as I was.

At this point, the other bartender -- the good one -- notices something's wrong, and asks about it. And I'm sorry to say, I had a moment of suckiness, and kind of went off on her. I told her, "We have a problem. We didn't order any of this shit!" She looked kind of scared and said, "OK, calm down. We'll get this sorted out." That's when I realized I was acting sucky, and apologized for it. All in all, there was about $30 of stuff on our tab that wasn't ours. The other bartender was not happy about having to correct our tab, and tossed the revised check in front of us, and said, "HERE!" rather coldly.

At this point, my friends started to wonder if she had done the same thing to them when they paid last time. Their bill was around $100, but they didn't look at it as closely as I did mine, and paid it without question. True, we did two rounds of Jager bombs, but at $6 each, that would have only accounted for $36. Other than that, we only had beer, and we didn't get food that time.

I was pretty put off at that point, and didn't come back to that bar for several weeks. Then one night, I was out at another bar, and found at that the sucky bartender had been fired. It turns out that not only was she rude to the customers, she was also drinking on the job. And I'm wondering if she was charging her drinks to the customers' tabs and hoping they wouldn't notice. And as drunk as I've seen some people get, I'm sure a lot of the time, they didn't.

Since then, I've become a regular at that bar again, and there haven't been any problems.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Wow. Thats a new low that I hadnt heard of before. Glad you called her on it.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      She brought me my check, and I thought it seemed a little high. But we did order food, and maybe we drank more than we thought, so I was about to pay it without question. Then I took a closer look and though, "WTF is this? None of us drinks Miller, and no one got shots!" I showed it up my friends, and they were just as confused as I was.

Then one night, I was out at another bar, and found at that the sucky bartender had been fired. It turns out that not only was she rude to the customers, she was also drinking on the job. And I'm wondering if she was charging her drinks to the customers' tabs and hoping they wouldn't notice. And as drunk as I've seen some people get, I'm sure a lot of the time, they didn't.
      If she was doing that, she should have at least charged them to tabs where people had bought a lot of the same drink she was drinking (after all, who's more likely to notice an "added" drink - someone whose group ordered 10 Miller, and 12 show up on the bill, or someone whose group didn't order Miller, and 2 show up on the bill?) Of course, that would assume some intelligence from a thief who's been boozing it up.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The other bartender was not happy about having to correct our tab, and tossed the revised check in front of us, and said, "HERE!" rather coldly.
        Her fuckup, yet you're somehow being treated like you're the problem?

I'd say it's worth having a talk with the manager / owner about. It's not as if you're expecting her to worship you or kiss your ass... but you DO expect a bill that's accurate, and not to be treated like you're the cause of all her life's problems when you tell her that you don't want to pay for stuff you never ordered.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          Her fuckup, yet you're somehow being treated like you're the problem?

I'd say it's worth having a talk with the manager / owner about. It's not as if you're expecting her to worship you or kiss your ass... but you DO expect a bill that's accurate, and not to be treated like you're the cause of all her life's problems when you tell her that you don't want to pay for stuff you never ordered.
          Quoth MadMike View Post
          Then one night, I was out at another bar, and found at that the sucky bartender had been fired. It turns out that not only was she rude to the customers, she was also drinking on the job. And I'm wondering if she was charging her drinks to the customers' tabs and hoping they wouldn't notice. And as drunk as I've seen some people get, I'm sure a lot of the time, they didn't.
          Little late to talk to the manager now, seeing as the bartender's already been fired....
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            Little late to talk to the manager now, seeing as the bartender's already been fired....
            woops i missed that part.

and drinking on the job? Now personally I don't mind if a bartender partakes - if the owner (or the law) allows. But it sounds like the owner didn't allow it.

and now I'm wondering if this is where those "extra" drinks on the tab were coming from. If perhaps she was putting her own consumption on other people's bills to cover up the theft.
            Last edited by PepperElf; 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

and drinking on the job? Now personally I don't mind if a bartender partakes - if the owner (or the law) allows. But it sounds like the owner didn't allow it.
              I've never seen a bartender drinking behind the bar, so I'm guessing the law doesn't allow it. The liquor laws here in PA are on the strict side.

and now I'm wondering if this is where those "extra" drinks on the tab were coming from. If perhaps she was putting her own consumption on other people's bills to cover up the theft.
              That was my thought as well. Up until I found out she'd been getting drunk on the job, I thought she was just being stupid and careless and putting someone else's drinks on the wrong tab.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

She was pissed because correcting the bill meant she'd have to pony up the money for what she drank, I guess. People always get nasty when they're caught trying to pull a fast one.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  I've never seen a bartender drinking behind the bar, so I'm guessing the law doesn't allow it. The liquor laws here in PA are on the strict side.
                  If that's the case, this would be the only way she'd be able to cover her drinking on the job. What's sad? She might not have gotten caught as quickly if she hadn't tried putting it on people's tabs...
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I don't think the law allows bartenders to drink on the job ANYWHERE in the USA, but I could be wrong. A bartender who is drinking cannot keep track of what the customer's are drinking, and it inhibits their decision making process. There are a lot of places in the USA where a bartender is expected to have the clarity of thought to go, "Sorry buddy, you've already had one too many, gonna have to cut you off."

Seriously though, that bartender would've gotten no tip from me, and probably a few choice words the first time around. I don't drink a lot, so I'd be the designated driver/bill checker/etc. I actually wonder that if they could prove she put drinks on tabs that she had drank herself, if she could be arrested for theft or fraud?
                    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      And a good riddance to her too. It takes only one bad experience to turn a good customer off and just her attitude (not to mention her drinking) was causing the bar to lose money.

Comment

in some areas, perhaps but afaik it's not across the board.

although it's not a recommended practice because you can end up drinking away your profits, and make bad business decisions too. and if you do something stupid and injure a client then you'll probably be in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                        X