This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm invisible!

It's been happening for a while now. I started to suspect that I was fading from view about a year or so ago when I noticed a sudden increase in shoppers at the mall walking straight towards me, with purpose and conviction, never wavering or shifting their route, until they were practically right on top of me, and then going, "Whoops!" and sidestepping. It became obvious that I was virtually invisible unless one was right next to me; anything more than five feet was out of range.

The problem seemed intermittent, but the fact that it wasn't limited to people with cell phones wedged in their ears made me wonder whether something else was going on. These people weren't entirely distracted; they might be glancing into windows at a walker's pace, so I should have triggered their proximity alarm at some point, however, the fact that a five foot eight hairy man dragging forty pounds of bags through the mall is standing right next to them doesn't register until they're practically on top of me, at which point they give a little yelp, mumble their pardons, and scurry away. Nor is the mall crowded - they're not being funneled towards me by the pressure of other people weighing in on them. They simply and confidently march in my direction, sometimes looking right at me, until I startle them by existing.

It happened five times at the mall today, and never by a distracted person. The guy in the Hoverround was the most startled - I had no idea those things could go that fast. But the middle-aged lady who said "Oh excuse me!" to me, turned, and walked straight into a sweater display was, at the least, most interesting. I left the Sears half expecting to hear an almighty crash and a string of swear words.

Worst of all, it's starting to happen when I'm driving. There seem to be a lot of people who want the lane I'm in and aren't in the slightest bothered by the fact that I'm in it.

So, that's it. I've become invisible. I'm thinking of whistling everywhere I go. Wearing tap shoes might help, too. Or maybe I could just go without bathing.

Who said that?

cwutididthere

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
      It's been happening for a while now. I started to suspect that I was fading from view about a year or so ago ...
      You will be glad to know its not just you
      Its been happening to me for years & I managed to prove it a couple of months ago!

I was waiting at a crossing in a store car park entrance, watching cars go past me as usual when a man walked up on the far side of me from the traffic. The car approaching the crossing practically stood on the brakes to stop & let him cross... the driver looked rather startled when I walked across too, thanking the gentleman for helping me prove my theory

Oddly enough, for a couple of weeks after I appeared to be somewhat visible again but alas, it didn't last long

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
      So, that's it. I've become invisible. I'm thinking of whistling everywhere I go. Wearing tap shoes might help, too. Or maybe I could just go without bathing.
      If I had a mean streak I'd be tempted to carry on as normal & just scare the heck out of phone toting & line disrupting people
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

On the bright side, invisibility is the best defence when trying to navigate town centres filled with charity muggers and pushy salespeople

(edit: I'm referring to the ones who stand in front of you, physically blocking your path, or try to chase you down the road even after you've said "no thankyou")

Comment

Go out naked and see how long the invisibility lasts
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            And even if it does last long enough for people to walk into you...you'd get some more interesting swear words. And possibly a few comments
            I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
              Worst of all, it's starting to happen when I'm driving. There seem to be a lot of people who want the lane I'm in and aren't in the slightest bothered by the fact that I'm in it.
              There's a reason why I drive with one hand over the horn. I've even asked friends if they can, in fact, see my car!
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                Hell no! They'll stand on the brakes, slam it into reverse, and hit me again!

Gotta make sure that one's dead!, LuElla!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                  I'm invisible!
                  And a razor of love!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfH8qHFvEEY

Comment

I've gone invisible any number of times. Sometimes I can even do it intentionally. It's quite useful when I'm waiting for a bus in a grungy part of town, but not so convenient when it happens at random, like when I'm trying to get waited on in a store.

I can't really offer any advice, though. Just sympathy!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I am most definitely invisible. You wouldn't believe how many times I've just been standing three feet from a car, staring at the license plate, and they still drive off. What are you doing, person? I have your plate number. You're...you're toast. Do you realize how badly you are toast?

I also have people who will completely and totally cut me in line. I'll be standing in line and pow. Cut. Done. And of course I will actually stand so far up their ass that when they step back, they step back onto me. I do it on purpose because I am mean and vindictive.

I was invisible in high school too. People would walk right into me. College not so much. I was like a tiny little battering ram in college. Elbows out.

Comment

Sometimes I could swear that I'm invisible at work, particularly when I'm pushing a book cart in the children's room. Many's the time someone has darted in front of me, and because the carts we use for the children's materials are NOT easy to push, I can't just move out of the way.

Comment

I think I found Ben Who's picture!

I think. Weird, I could've sworn I had something for those img tags...
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

For the last time, guys: Just because you get less stealth penalties the less armour you're wearing, it doesn't mean you're invisible just because you're naked.

Now put your damn clothes back on.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                              F

Now put your damn clothes back on.

Now that was a short subject.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X