This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Scan Suckage

Went down to the supermarket just after the schools were done for the day and the place was PACKED, every man and his dog was shopping. I got in line for the self scan which was a traffic jam and waited and watched people going in, out, backwards, forwards and everywhere. Complete and utter chaos which is most likely why these two guys just up and decided to scan their stuff, bag it and walk off without paying. I was just behind them in my own little world and only noticed when I went to use the scanner they had used after them. The alarm beeps of stuff not being paid for was lost in the general noise. I notified the self scan attendant who punched in some numbers and took the reciept for the books. Unfortunetly, they two guys were pretty fast at getting out of there but I did give the attendant a brief description. $60 of shopping stolen just like that. The attendant and I got to talking and this happens alot at that time of day, just so much nosie and confusion and chaos it's easy to walk out without paying.

Bah, SCOs are only to keep honest people honest. I had a discussion with one of my CSMs when they put in SCOs at the Mart of Walls I worked for. Apparently, corporate figured the cost of the unit PLUS the attending shrinkage was less than the hourly wage of a peo... err cashier.

Between that and the lack of door greeters, it's gotten a lot easier to walk out with $20k of merch, as one of our local Wally Worlds just found out. Friend of my parents says it's not uncommon for the normal lifters to wait until she's busy cursing at one of the SCOs to start their "scan - bag" act and just walk right on out. Fortunately (or un) they haven't taken anything too valuable, but still... LP is working on catching them. *snort* Right.. without door greeters, that's not likely to happen unless the SCO attendant suddenly grows an extra set of hands and eyes to spot them before they act.

And cashiers aren't paid enough to undergo that genetic experiment.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
      every man and his dog was shopping.
      Damn, that's a well-trained dog. Where can I get one? I wouldn't mind a little help with the weekly shop.
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
        Damn, that's a well-trained dog. Where can I get one? I wouldn't mind a little help with the weekly shop.
        Last week someone came in with a puppy in a push chair and we don't have to wait for people to bring in snakes they get everwhere naturally. Mostly it's birds who get stuck in store, poor things

Comment

Being a greeter is hazardous. I keep seeing stories of greeters being attacked by SC's. Although they don't always get away with it.

Had one year a year ago who hauled off and punched the greeter when the greeter asked to see the woman's receipt. SC tried to argue she hit her "accidentally" but the security camera tape showed her leaning back, planting her left foot, and swinging her fist into the greeter's face, and then standing there watching as the greeter fell.

Boom. Jail time.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

At one of the local grocery stores, there are printed notices taped to each SCO reminding customers to show their receipts to the attendant when leaving.

Of course, since this store doesn't believe in scheduling anybody to actually be the SCO attendant, the whole thing is moot.

I almost want to do a Mr. Bean and just wave my receipt around in the air with a big stupid grin on my face.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
              Mostly it's birds who get stuck in store, poor things
              Don't be so sure that the birds are stuck. I've read about birds learning how to operate the automatic doors (fly in front of the sensor), and moving in to stores (mostly "big box" home and garden stores). Nice weather all year round, dine at the "all you can eat" ripped bags of seed, drink at the garden fountains on display.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              X