X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I Sucky?

Hi!

I haven't posted in a while. About an hour ago, I had to make a run to the grocery store across the street to buy some girly items... (Hubs and I have been trying for our first baby for a few months and we keep getting a monthly disappointment. ). I asked the cashier for a bag and she rolled her eyes at me. Yea I know it was two items and I usually wouldn't ask for a bag for two things. There is a Tim Hortons inside the store and I was going to be buying a coffee and a bagel so I would've been juggling everything without a bag and walking home.

Was it sucky for me to ask for a bag?

ExArtShopSlave.

No you weren't. If someone asks for a bag to put their items in they should be given one.

Comment

Nope, cashier was total suckster here. There are any number of reasons why you'd want a bag for two items, heck even for one item, it's none of the cashier's business to be all judgmental and bitchy because, oh no, she has to do 3 seconds more of work.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Cashier needs some retraining ... or possibly a layoff notice. I almost always get asked "Do you want a bag?" even if I've only got a couple of items, at least in grocery stores. Not her business why you want a bag.

Comment

I will say it now, someone is only sucky when they make a bigger deal out of what is not a big deal. If you shout and make a scene, then you are an SC. Normal people know that it is not polite to yell and shout when they dont get their way.
          "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

My eyes are on gimbals I roll them so much. And I had customers at the c-store who would demand a bag for a candy bar, step away from the counter with it, remove the candy and throw the bag away in the store.
            But I still wouldn't have done so here. You're a customer, you ask for a bag, you get a bag from someone w/o attitude, the world moves on.

Suck: EASS - 0 Clerk - 1

And btw, I do the same. When I shop I'll bag my own groceries and have one bag with just one or two things in it, as I stop somewhere else on the way home and know I'll fill it there. I'm a very good recycler and nice person, and I'M the one to "judge" what bags I need.

Comment

Quite apart from the suckiness of the cashier, best of luck for you and hubs!
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

No you weren't. Even if a customer only has one or two items, I'll ask them if they would like a bag. They usually don't but if they do, no big deal. For the cashier to roll her eyes at you over such a small request, that was sucky.
                I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

It never has, and never will be, sucky to ask for a bag for one's purchases.

Cashier was being a buttpimple.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm sorry - sucky for asking for a bag so the whole world doesn't know you've buying personal girly items? I don't think so. I wouldn't want the world to know what I was buying either and I'm not all that girly (most of the time anyway).

I would have been tempted to ask if it was that time of month for the cashier.
                    Random conversation:
                    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Um no. You were in no, way, shape or form sucky. Proper response from a clerk, when a customer asks for a bag, is "Sure!" or "Of course!" NOT an eyeroll!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I always ask customers if they want a bag when they have one item or several small items. Even for feminine products. I have some customers that do and some that don't. I've had customers get snarky with me for even asking. I mean if you have several small items that you brought to the register in your hands I know you can carry them. But I'll still ask. And when customers get pissy and say 'Of course I want a bag!' I just plainly state that I ask everyone. If I forget to ask and someone asks me I'll gladly give them a bag. /rant
                        Sorry your cashier was a jerk.
                        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I don't know about the OP's area, but many places have instituted a tax on shopping bags, or have outlawed some bags altogether. I have seen news reports from Montgomery County, Maryland, about customers going ballistic over the 5 cent bag tax. I think it makes perfect sense to ask a customer if they want a shopping bag. But we all know customers that don't know what "perfect sense" means.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            I don't know about the OP's area, but many places have instituted a tax on shopping bags, or have outlawed some bags altogether. I have seen news reports from Montgomery County, Maryland, about customers going ballistic over the 5 cent bag tax. I think it makes perfect sense to ask a customer if they want a shopping bag. But we all know customers that don't know what "perfect sense" means.

Bags are not outlawed or taxed here. There used to be a five cent tax on bags, but they got rid of it. I do believe however that bags will be outlawed come the new year though. That is ok. I'll just have to try to remember to bring my reusable bags with me. I am always forgetting them lol

Thanks for all your replies, everyone.

ExArtShopSlave.

Comment

nothing wrong at all. there's plenty of reasons to need bags even for small items.

you could be shopping more, elsewhere, or taking a bike etc

Comment

Working...
                              X