This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapskate aunt

Last month it was my uncle's birthday so we went to Chili's. It was me and my sister, my grandma, my cousin and her son, and my uncle and his wife. We did have to wait a bit but to me that's expected because there were 7 people plus while it wasn't exactly slow it wasn't dead either.

Honestly the food wasn't the best but that's hardly the servers fault. I mean, it wasn't bad to the point of being inedible or anything.

Okay, the way we paid was like this: Aunt and uncle together, cousin and her son together, me, my sister and grandma together (Although I was planning on paying for me and the sister but my grandma paid before I knew what she was doing).

Well, apparently my aunt was offended or something because when she signed her credit card slip she put a zero on the tip line. Now, my cousin left $3 but hers was only $14 and I don't know how much my grandma tipped but I don't think it was that much. Maybe $4 i think. (I'm not mad at my grandma. The difference is that my grandma doesn't really know better and at least she left SOMETHING. The aunt was just being a cheapskate.)

So yeah, the poor server got a 7 dollar tip on a bill that was something like $80. I was appalled. I didn't have any cash on me or I would have left more. It really upset me because I always tip at least 20%, more if it's a regular server I like. I might do 15% if the server is bad but there was only one time I didn't leave a tip and I seriously wanted to punch that waiter by the time we left.

Anyways, I'm never going to eat with that particular aunt again.

Is it possible that Chili's put on 15% already since many places will do that if it is a party of six or more. I'm not certain if they do or not.

Edit to Add: From a quick google, it looks like Chili's adds on 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more.
    Last edited by Heksubah; 11-11-2012, 11:57 PM.
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
      Is it possible that Chili's put on 15% already since many places will do that if it is a party of six or more. I'm not certain if they do or not.

Edit to Add: From a quick google, it looks like Chili's adds on 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more.
      But the check was split, so there were basically three checks. How would they add 18% gratuity on that? Unless they just put on an additional 6% on each check?
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I was split up into 3 checks. And they didn't add on a gratuity. I caught a glance of my cousin's check.

Comment

I always try to leave a tip. Especially with my bartenders. Once at the bar I didn't want to calculate up a tip so I'm like 4 sounds about right, turns out it was like 40%. He was happy!

Comment

In instances like that I've been known to go to the bar and buy something piddly (a mint, soda to-go, etc) and leave additional tip for that specific server. I can do that on my card since I rarely carry cash either.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
              But the check was split, so there were basically three checks. How would they add 18% gratuity on that? Unless they just put on an additional 6% on each check?
              Um... it would still have to be 18% gratuity on each of the three separate checks, if you wanted to reach 18% in total. You can't multiply percentages that way.

@OP: Did your aunt say anything about why she didn't leave a tip? Is that something she regularly does?
              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Do you remember the name of the server? If so, you could go back and ask to sit in her section and tip based on both meals.
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                  @OP: Did your aunt say anything about why she didn't leave a tip? Is that something she regularly does?
                  She didn't really say anything. This was actually the first time I'd been anywhere like that with her. She's my aunt by marriage and hasn't been married to my uncle all that long. According to other people though this kind of thing is very typical of her.

Do you remember the name of the server? If so, you could go back and ask to sit in her section and tip based on both meals.
                  I'd thought about that but unfortunately I don't remember.

Comment

Working...
                  X