This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sith happens

we go to Wal Shart (thanks Irving Patrick Freleigh!!) early in the morning on the weekends to avoid the frontdoor money-hustlers. my husband doesn't like to deal with crowds of walkers but they manage to find him anyway. we're just about done shopping and head to the registers to check out and GTFO. the SCO registers are filled with problems and each one has the little red lights going off. no, can't go there - have to trek down further to the only two registers open. now he's wearing gray cargo pants and a black t-shirt with "sith happens" and lord vader in all his glory. he's stopped twice by people telling him he has to open up more registers. really? when did they change the store uniform?
    there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

What are these "front door money hustlers" that u speak of?...LOL!

Comment

Red buckets, ringing bells... the usual fare for this time of year.

Tell hubby that he needs to perfect the happy, helpful look, because the death glare seems to be a sure fire sign that you work there. Only people who work there hate their job enough to give the death glare! Everyone else should be delighted to be there!

What really amuses me is the fact that he probably looks like a very competent guy no matter what he's wearing. So, they mistakenly assume competence equals management
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

the bell ringers, cookie/jambalaya/sandwich sellers, church groups, cheerleaders going on a trip and need your money, lots of people trying to get into your pockets. they usually stand right at the door and you can't avoid them
        there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
          the bell ringers, cookie/jambalaya/sandwich sellers, church groups, cheerleaders going on a trip and need your money, lots of people trying to get into your pockets. they usually stand right at the door and you can't avoid them
          I just say 'no' and keep walking. I guess I don't look like the kind of person they dare continue to harass. Maybe it is the large solid cane?

Comment

I freaking love Jambalaya!

When I used to smoke, I would light up a smoke right by them just to annoy the hell out of them, because well, that's what they were doing to just about everyone else.
            If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

they usually stand right at the door and you can't avoid them
              At my store there is a side door that we can go through to avoid them. I feel a little guilty for doing that but I can't afford to make a donation every time I see one.

Comment

around here all the door ringers are for a charity i don't support. i say no, and if they insist i tell them i just don't donate to their particular charity, but to my local food bank instead (which does a similar job but needs the money more)

walmart is bad for people randomly assuming other people work there. i've gotten asked to help someone a few times in street clothes, and once in decked out rave gear. sigh.
                Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

And usually ask everyone for cash. My problems with them:
                  1) Given how often I see particular groups, I'm sure that many of them have high overhead. I would rather give to a group that's going to spend my money on what they say, instead of fundraising costs.
                  2) Stop asking me. Put up the display, and let me come to you. If you act as annoying as street beggars, then you are as annoying as street beggars.
                  3) Work takes me to places where they beg constantly. Can't afford to support them all, even if I wasn't caring about #1.
                  4) When Red Bucket Organization starts begging at the start of November (literally-- Nov 1), that's when I stop thinking of them as a charity and more as a professional fundraising organization.

[/rant]

Comment

he's wearing gray cargo pants and a black t-shirt with "sith happens" and lord vader in all his glory.

Now I want this t-shirt.
                    Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

I lived in a Salvation Army once and had a horrible experience. Because of this I have found a good tactic to avoid the bell ringers... put out a vibe of 'leave me the eff alone', lower head, do not look at them, and hurry past! They never talk to me.
                      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

More to the point...is there a link to an image of this shirt or to a place where it is available to buy?
                        We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Quoth Rebel1012 View Post
                          More to the point...is there a link to an image of this shirt or to a place where it is available to buy?
                          http://www.spreadshirt.com/sith-happ...-C3376A2189771

Comment

When confronted by any 'gimme money', I use the phrase 'not today' or 'not this time'. The implication being that I might give them money elsewhen, but not actually making any promises. It works great even on pushy checkout folk (very rare, fortunately), and mostly works on the rest. Any that it doesn't work on arebimmediately branded as 'hustler' in my mind, and never get anything.
                            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I have a few stiff questions I ask bell-ringers who are pushy. If they can't answer/ answer in a way that vibes badly with me, I'm off. Salvation Army has never once passed this test.

Comment

Working...
                              X