This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want your germs!

I recognize that a lot of people are sick right now. However, that doesn't mean it's okay to cough in the cashier's face!

I had two customers cough directly in my direction today (I felt saliva hit my face, it was disgusting), and many others who simply turned their head and coughed all over my work area. I started getting a sore throat by the middle of my shift, so I hope it doesn't turn into a full-fledged cold.

THANKS A LOT, SCs.

I always cough into my elbow, it's really the only way you can prevent the spread of germs. Even coughing into your hand you then handle cash or something else then germs sprreeaaaddd.

I'm sorry people have been so indecent as to just cough right on all over you, that sucks so bad. I suggest a lot of fluids, vita-C, and resting as much as you can before your next shift.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

OMG, that's disgusting. I would've had a hard time not grabbing the hand sanitizer and cleaning myself up with it in front of the idiot(s)!

A co-worker of mine, when he sneezes, tends to turn away and bend towards the floor as he sneezes. Not nearly as bad as sneezing on the work area but still ... NOT the right way to do it. Either sneeze into your hand(s) (and then WASH YOUR HANDS IMMEDIATELY) or turn your head and sneeze into your shoulder -- I've been told the latter is a good idea as your clothing doesn't give germs much of a lifespan.

Comment

Ouch, doesn't hand sanitizer sting if you use it on your face?

I'd lock the till, call a manager, walk away, and go wash my face with soap and water.

Comment

I felt saliva hit my face

that's just gross.

Comment

People often expect that since I am a nurse and I work in a hospital, I don't ever get sick. So coughing in my face must be acceptable. I've pissed off more than one person by "gently reminding" them that that's not appreciated or sanitary. More than once the response to my direction to a person to cover their mouth is "I'm sick." I usually say "we'll, I'm not and I'd like to keep it that way. Cover your mouth." Then I hand them tissues and leave. I've been told I'm the mean nurse.

But really...That's just nasty.

Comment

Can't always go for the elbow, but I do go for the shoulder that isn't occupied by the kidlet. Bad enough that I have nieces and a nevy that likes sharing everything with me and mine, including colds! I'd rather not have strangers sharing with me too.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

WHO (World Health Organisation) recommends the elbow, but the shoulder does sound like a good alternative if your hands/arms are occupied.

If I'm overtaken by a sneeze in the middle of cooking, I'll twist myself and sneeze onto the floor. If I try to use my elbow, I fear that some of the droplets will miss and get into food or onto worksurfaces. Whereas the floor of a kitchen should be considered contaminated the moment someone has walked onto it.

I'm rarely overtaken by a cough with too little warning to use a tissue or put myself where I can safely use my elbow. Only when I'm sick enough that I shouldn't be cooking anyway, and am in a sick-bed/in my 'comfy chair'. (But that's me, personally. I know many people who get surprised by coughs, so....)
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

When I get those surprise coughs I immediately duck my head down and kind of cough into my chest. I don't know if that helps stop spreading germs but it's kind of my instinct to do.

I've never been surprised by a sneeze though, so those go in the elbow, lol.
                  My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                    I recognize that a lot of people are sick right now. However, that doesn't mean it's okay to cough in the cashier's face!

I had two customers cough directly in my direction today (I felt saliva hit my face, it was disgusting), and many others who simply turned their head and coughed all over my work area. I started getting a sore throat by the middle of my shift, so I hope it doesn't turn into a full-fledged cold.

THANKS A LOT, SCs.
                    Eww, that's disgusting. Jerks.

If it's any consolation...if you're sick it probably wasn't them. If I understand correctly it takes hours-to-days for you to get sick after exposure to cold germs. They have to incubate. But perhaps one of the nurses on the site can correct me if I'm wrong?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Eww, that's disgusting. Jerks.

If it's any consolation...if you're sick it probably wasn't them. If I understand correctly it takes hours-to-days for you to get sick after exposure to cold germs. They have to incubate. But perhaps one of the nurses on the site can correct me if I'm wrong?
                      You'd be surprised. I was babysitting a little girl a few years ago, and she sneezed all over the pizza we had just ordered. I figured "it's gross, but I'll just get a piece from the opposite side." My nose was running about two hours later.

Comment

I've literally been turned into the management for 'having the brazen audacity to use sanitizer' in front of a customer who was sick when the hacked all over me. THEY took offense to
                        It thinking I was "too good" to get sick.
                        NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Quoth Kitten in the box View Post
                          I've literally been turned into the management for 'having the brazen audacity to use sanitizer' in front of a customer who was sick
                          Ditto that. Too many times to count at the c-store. They'd pull money from their somewhere nasty, or put it in their mouths, or cough on it etc. and I'd scrub up. Apparently that's rude.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            WHO (World Health Organisation) recommends the elbow, but the shoulder does sound like a good alternative if your hands/arms are occupied.
                            So do the Mythbusters.
                            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                              You'd be surprised. I was babysitting a little girl a few years ago, and she sneezed all over the pizza we had just ordered. I figured "it's gross, but I'll just get a piece from the opposite side." My nose was running about two hours later.
                              Still might not have picked it up from her....unless she was absolutely the only person you were around for a day or so....
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X