This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neat stuff at the local gas station

we had a new gas station open up recently here, a brand I've never heard of...

I don't know much about the company but... I do think the way they operate some of the common-touch items is interesting.

Drink lids: these are kept in (IIRC horizontal) tubes in the wall. It operates like a pez dispenser, giving out one lid at a time. So... you don't touch any other lid but the one you're going to use.

Registers: The cashiers don't have to count change out to the customer. The change just falls out of the register into a small dish. So, you're going to get the right amount of change and... it's been touched a little less. (save for the coin dish of course).

All I can think is that... this sounds kinda cool. Not perfectly germ-free but, it can't hurt.

Oh and the coffee mess... you can avoid the register completely if you want, or if you're in a hurry. They have a drop box for money (honor system).

on top of that... they tend to under-cut the other gas stations by at least 5 cents usually.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    They have a drop box for money (honor system).
    Watch how fast they stop doing that.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
      They might not stop it, actually. Coffee isn't really a high cost thing to maintain.

Edit: How do I know this? Because at my store, policy is to change out the coffee and make a fresh batch every 20-45 minutes, even if the coffee pot is full. If it was a huge hit to profits to do this (which is more often than not especially once you get into the afternoon and evening) then that wouldn't be a policy.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
        If they tape a pair of eyes on or near the container for the money, they will find their takings are better than if they don't.
        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I wanna see the Pez lid dispenser!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            I wanna see the Pez lid dispenser!
            Me too!! That sounds epic.
            If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Except for the honor box, that sounds like a SHEETZ gas station.

Comment

Drink lids: these are kept in (IIRC horizontal) tubes in the wall. It operates like a pez dispenser, giving out one lid at a time.
                One brand of station here has those, or at least something similar in concept. They're really neat.

Of course, some unusually clumsy people can still manage to spill a half-dozen lids on the floor, just the same... not that I speak from experience or anything...

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                  If they tape a pair of eyes on or near the container for the money, they will find their takings are better than if they don't.
                  it's in sight of the counter.

and irv - i found a pic of it on their main page. you pull the square down and a lid pops out for you.

Comment

Several stores used to have the auto-change counter/dispenser thing, too -- it's great, and it pretty much kills any "you gave me the wrong (coin) change!" complaints before they start. GreenWall used to do that a few years back, but they took them out >_<
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                      Except for the honor box, that sounds like a SHEETZ gas station.
                      I know all about sheetz. I had a friend that lived in the north east for awhile. All she ever did was rave about how good they were.
                      If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

"Sheetz"

isn't that what you get when you eat too much oatmeal?

Comment

C-Store chain has those type of lid dispensers. I believe the name of them is Lid Savers. Not entirely sure. Of course, my store is one of the old ones that they continue to neglect while building new ones on every other corner, so we don't have them. They are really neat, though. The change thing, I've only seen at the local taco place that I frequent in the town my nephew lives in. I seem to remember them being in use more several years back, though I could be wrong. Anyone else have any memory of them?
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

They have a drop box for money (honor system).
                            I can't find an image, but it sounds like the system Dante uses in Clerks.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              I can't find an image, but it sounds like the system Dante uses in Clerks.
                              lol no worries, i've seen it.

Comment

Working...
                              X