This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well this is a great reason to avoid the on-base dog park

we've only been to the on-base dog park a couple of times... and didn't like it exactly. the park was perhaps better kept than the one we normally go to, but it was also much smaller and kinda boring because there wasn't any other dogs for ours to play with.

but now... perhaps it was a good thing there weren't any other dogs around.

We took our dog to the vets (on base) for an annual checkup. She's heavier than we realized, so we're cutting back on her food a bit (less snacks, less treat in her kibble etc). And we happened to mention that we were taking her to the park after the visit.

Vet did this cthulhu-thing with her fingers at her mouth (like mimicking tentacles) - her way of indicating that her information wasn't "official" and proceeded to warn us about the dangers of dog parks.

in general, you're more apt to have dogs share germs etc. but in specific... she cthulhu-warned us away from the on-base dog park.

Apparently one of her other patients (she can't tell us WHO, just that the person exists) likes to bring her dog there to let it bite other dogs. And I'm not talking playful nips but what the vet called "blood bite" - deep enough to draw blood.

Apparently the dog owner ... did it on purpose, claiming that her dog wasn't "happy" unless it got a blood-bite in once a month. Oh and she thought it was funny too.

No one's stopped this lady yet. I don't know if the vet can call the cops on her or not, but she DID note it in the medical records. So... if anyone actually DOES file a complaint against this dog-owner, then the records will indicate that yes, the owner does it on purpose. I guess only then can the base take action.

bleh.

oh and at the nameless owner for thinking it funny.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM.

Sounds like there's something wrong with the way the dog is being treated if it's not happy unless it's attacking something; I think it's the OWNER that's not happy unless she gets to sic her pet on another innocent dog; Sadistic much? And couldn't you call the authorities to have the dog taken if it DID attack your dog?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

On base?!!

If the owner is active duty, retired, or a dependent (so I assume, since the dog park is on base) this is the kind of thing that gets reported to the chain of command, and causes people to have their on base access revoked, or worse if the offender is active duty).

I think you should have a talk with Vet, and let her know that if she has not reported this to her superiors, you will be having a talk with your own superiors about this threat. A dog that is encouraged to bite other dogs will certainly bite a human sooner or later.

And if this woman does cause her dog to bite yours, summon the MPs immediately and have her arrested.

I don't know if the vet can call the cops on her or not, but she DID note it in the medical records.
      Horse hockey. This is a reportable offense.

Uniform Code of Military Justice. 934. ART. 134. GENERAL ARTICLE
      Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.
      Last edited by Dytchdoctir; 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

If the owner is active duty, retired, or a dependent (so I assume, since the dog park is on base) this is the kind of thing that gets reported to the chain of command, and causes people to have their on base access revoked, or worse if the offender is active duty).
        Yes. If the other party actually reports it.

As for the vet - I'm not going to go "holy crusader" on her. As far as I know she did report it. Plus, remember, she also made a point to document it too.

The hard part is the evidence. The only "evidence" the vet has is the dog owner's own comments which might not be admissible as evidence in court; even though it's military they still have to follow specific procedures for prosecution. The owner's comments could easily be just passed over as "talking shit". (which would pretty much mean "no case")

However since it was put into the dog's records... now that MAY change things. If one of the other dog owners calls the cops and reports a bite, then they have to check the records and will see that the bad owner's words were documented. Then they'll have actual MP evidence to add to this in order to get a solid case.
        Last edited by PepperElf; 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

If you ever do go to that dog park again, with or without your pets -- bring a cameraphone and have it ready to snap, in case this loony shows up again! That, and warn your friends about her (in a "word through the grapevine has it" kind of way).

There is no excuse for someone exercising that kind of cruelty on other animals/their owners, by proxy.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've met a woman who was like the one your Vet warned you about. She had a fairly sizable dog as well (think German Shepard sized, but it wasn't a GS.)

He went after a dog when I was at the park. Not "Hey let's play" but "RAWR FULL ATTACK GOING TO GET YOU." Unfortunately for the attack dog, I was nearby when he launched the attack and landed a full blown heel kick right into his ribs, knocked him sideways and he went scuttling away with his tail between his legs. (Note: UNLESS YOU ARE VERY EXPERIENCED AND KNOWLEDGEABLE IN HOW TO HANDLE DOGS, DO NOT EVER DO THIS.)

Of course, the owner starts screaming at me for abusing her dog. I simply pointed at the young American Eskimo that now had red instead of white fur, and said, "Lady, you got a hell of a lot more to worry about than screaming at me for STOPPING your dog from killing another one."

Turns out that the lady abused the hell out of her dog, which in turn made it deflect its aggression onto smaller animals. Happy ending is that the dog was taken away, not put down, and successfully rehabilitated. I'm not sure what happened to the woman.

So basically what I'm trying to say is, spread this information around to other on-base dog park goers, tell them to be aware and to report any dog bites/aggressive dog behavior. If this woman continues to encourage the dog to "blood bite" a smaller dog may very well end up permanently injured or worse, dead.
            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

All I can say to that story is: thank goodness you were there, and protected the two dogs from the crazy woman.

I hope the injured American Eskimo made a full recovery as well. And I'm very glad the 'not-a-german-shepherd' was able to be rehabbed.

I hope the woman was put in front of a judge, and one who understands animal cruelty violations as serious.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

most likely we'll never go to the on-base ones anyway, although we may warn a couple of friends who go there sometimes. we've been to both (there's 2 on base) but they were smaller than the one we normally go to. plus the regular park has more dogs to play with.

but yes, when we go to the regular park i usually have my itouch on me and my bf has his phone anyway.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

I hope the injured American Eskimo made a full recovery as well. And I'm very glad the 'not-a-german-shepherd' was able to be rehabbed.

I hope the woman was put in front of a judge, and one who understands animal cruelty violations as serious.

The American Eskimo did recover, but now walks with a permanent limp so his gait is a little off. However, he doesn't seem to give a damn and is pretty damn fast.

I believe that the "not-a-german-shepard" was a Norwegian Elkhound; very beautiful dog.

I also agree on hoping the women got some jail time, and a heavy fine. I asked around after posting and have been informed (though a grape vine, so I'm not sure it's fully the truth) that she is forbidden from having any pets at all (including fish!) or else she'll be dragged right back in to court.

What I do know is that she's been blacklisted from adoption/buying pets with every legitimate breeder/pound. So at least there is that.
                  My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I guess that blacklisting doesn't apply to her buying a dog off another person/craigslist, etc.

Sick, sick woman.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                    X