This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do a good deed, get hit by a car

I did not have the best night closing cafe last night, and was starving when I got done. Since I was doing a close/open, I thought it might be better to go through a drive-through than cook at home (more time, getting to bed later). On my way back I was just at the entrance to my complex, ready to make a right turn. I saw 2 pedestrians were coming my way, probably intending to cross the entrance. I could've made the turn, but in the dark late at night I like to be on the safe side. So I decided to wait the extra 30 seconds for them, especially since it looked like the bike guy was faltering or turning to look back at the other person.

That's when I saw them: headlights. My rearview was tilted so it was too late when I saw them and realized the car was not slowing down. I feared it would swerve and end up in the ditch and possibly hit the pedestrians. It hit me instead. I don't know how, but I didn't impact my steering wheel, but my head hit the frame of the car above the windshield. I feared a concussion, and that's not good, because it would be my 4th. The next thing I knew there were people all around my car, 1 or 2 at a time, asking if I was ok. I didn't know if they were the other driver/passengers, neighbors, just who. I still don't know, except the one couple who identified as neighbors who heard the crash. One guy had on fatigues. It was almost surreal. I knew I needed to go to the ER, but didn't want an ambulance (not thinking rationally, thinking about the bill). I kept saying I hit my head and didn't know what to do. I was just scared. The officers called an ambulance, and I'm glad they did, because when I got out of my car, I felt tipsy. Away I went on a stretcher.

I do understand how you can think a car is slowing down, but not realize it's stopped, but when you see brakelights, aren't you supposed to slow down? I'm not angry, just perplexed and sad that I didn't go straight home. But my friend pointed out to me that maybe I was meant to be there so the other car didn't hit the pedestrians. If so, I'm glad.

I'm not glad about calling in this morning; they are going to have a hard time because who is going to answer the phone and come to work for me at 7:30 am? I'm still dizzy when standing up, though, so I'm not coming in. Anyway, I'm basically fine, but another head injury is not what I need.

And here's an akward/funny: as I was being rolled up into the ambulance, one of the pedestrians said "Thank you for stopping for us!" I think I was like, "ok." I was just in shock that it had happened. I feel kind of bad.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

This is terrible!

Hope you're ok and insurance takes care of everything!

Comment

You did the right thing, and yes, the other car was supposed to slow down - and then stop. Well, technically I think the law is framed as 'maintain a safe following distance' or some such, but it amounts to 'brake lights on means slow down'.

By Australian law, his compulsory third party insurance is required to pay your medical bills including the ambulance trip. I know you're in the US and this may not be the situation there: I'm hoping one of our US folks will be able to reassure you on that aspect of things.

I'm glad you're refusing to go in to work: concussion #4 (or even potential concussion #4) is Not A Good Thing!
      Your health is your top priority right now: even if you have children (I don't remember whether or not you do). Now is the right time to call in friends and family to care for kids, pets and houseplants while you let the doctors check you out.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wishing you a speedy recovery FL!

I was the (more aware than your pedestrians) flip side of this just the other day. Bicycling (legally) on the sidewalk, about to cross the entrance/exit drive for a business, so I look to see who may be about to turn into it. Thank Dog I did, as the person about to do so had obviously not seen, or didn't (unlike you) realize the chain of events that would ensue from from me crossing the drive as she attempted to pull into it. Either A.) Run me over, or B.) Stop in the middle of turning in, get t-boned by the (very close, very fast) oncoming traffic, and likely get rammed into me.

Driving IS MULTITASKING people. It takes effort and concentration. Always.

So I'm very glad you made sure your change in direction was completely clear before attempting it, and VERY sorry someone else wasn't as attentive.

Did the EMTs grab your dinner for you?

Comment

Seshat - Same basic laws here, but it varies by state. In some, a specific person is assumed to be "at-fault"/fiscally responsible. In others, it is done as "no-fault" instead (presumably shared expenses?)
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My dinner was still in the car, so I offered it to the firefighter who drove my car into the parking lot for me. That got a laugh. I reheated it when I got home; it was only 2 hours. I have liability only insurance, so the other will have to cover all this. My health insur. won't cover that particular ER; it's out-of-network. I'm not experiencing any brain delay that I can tell, so the last head injury--from a shower caddy falling on me-- was more serious? That's weird. I feel fine, except for some nerve issues in my neck, which have probably been exacerbated by the impact.

Comment

Doesn't matter about *your* insurance. It was *his* fault - both in fact and by the conventional rules of a rear-end accident - so *his* insurance will cover it.

It sounds like you're a bit more confused than usual. Rest, sleep, and don't even *try* to do anything strenuous until everything makes sense again.

Comment

I know their insurance should cover it, but I've run into more than one person who doesn't have car insurance, even though it's the law. People are broke and choose to take the risk. My adjustor told me I still have medical on mine, which I didn't remember at the time I posted this.

Comment

You've had some awful luck with head injuries.

Hope you're feeling better.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I nearly got rear ended in a similar situation a while back. I was stopped at a red light waiting to make a right turn. There was a break in traffic which should have given me enough room to turn, so I took my foot off the brake. A pedestrian decided that would be a lovely time to cross the street (she had a don't walk sign, as she was crossing in the direction of the red light, not the green light.) Anyway, I put my foot back on the brake, as even though the pedestrian was technically in the wrong, I still didn't want to hit her. The guy behind me apparently didn't see the pedestrian and almost didn't brake fast enough to avoid hitting me. I think an extra coat of pain on one of our bumpers would have been enough extra material to cause a collision. Thankfully it was all happening at 2mph, so nothing bad happened.

FL, I'm glad you're recovering nicely. I hope everything continues to work out well.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I know their insurance should cover it, but I've run into more than one person who doesn't have car insurance, even though it's the law. People are broke and choose to take the risk. My adjustor told me I still have medical on mine, which I didn't remember at the time I posted this.
                      Most legally required liability coverage has a non insured driver clause that will cover you in that event. When you are feeling better check your plan.

Comment

mathnerd, I find that people don't pay enough attention to pedestrians. I'm glad you did.

Comment

Ohmygosh, just read this. Hope you're feeling better! {hugs}
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hope you are recovering well.

Sounds like the police were on hand, so you should have lots of documentation and witnesses. Hopefully the other guy didn't slip away.

I don't have a car, but I believe Other party insurance is mandatory pretty much everywhere. As in, if you wish you can chose to not insure your car (usually a stupid move) but you HAVE to have insurance to cover if you cause damage to someone else. That guy's insurance should cover your medical bills, damage to your car, and possibly even your missed day(s) of work.

Once you get your head on straight, check into it, and maybe see if you can get a free consultation with a lawyer (preferably NOT one of the ones you see on daytime TV)

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                              a lawyer (preferably NOT one of the ones you see on daytime TV)
                              but, but, but, Captain KIRK tells us they're the ones to use!

(Don't know about your area, but up here, and in several other locations around the U.S., Shatner does commercials for ambulance chasing type law firms.)

Comment

Working...
                              X