X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes the yellow cement things will hurt your car

background-
    So here in 'omg i can see mexico' there is 1 comic book shop and a Hastings which we basically ignore... anyways... while i was away at school there was a fire. No one was hurt but they had to move shop.

Now across the street there was once a radio-shack. It closed up shop about a year and a half ago. So obviously the easiest place for their customers to find and the easiest move is... move across the street. and change our name. but leave the 'computer corner' and radio-shack signs in place.

so on to the story!!

so as the words computer corner might make you think the building is on the corner of the intersection. Their parking lot follows the curve the corner and people like to use it to skip the light when they turn right. Obviously after... a nano-second... the actually popular with their customers and routinely have 7 or more cars in their lot until like 10 pm everyday store said 'nope to dangerous'. Which it was it was kind of narrow along one road and the turn and there have been many close calls to accidents.
    So they get 5 cinderblocks. Paint them bright yellow. And place them at a diagonal across the corner so that both halves of the parking lot are useable but you can't leave out the other half.

Apparently some person said 'huh.... bright yellow cement blocks about as tall as my car is from the ground... i can make it over them'

She drove over the blocks. she lodged the block under her car and couldn't move forward. obviously if you cant move forward you must move back. so she put it into reverse and actually manages to break the block in half and reverse about 4 feet backwords before the block part lodged in the undercarriage of her tiny sedan catches something, probably a cement seam and she gets stuck in place.

as i drive by there are 3 guys staring at the broken block and a 4th guy starting at the car while on the phone obviously talking to either the owner or a tow company while miss driver is on her phone still in the car looking like the cement block jumped up and rear ended her not she drove over a cement block you would have to have no sense of the world around to not know it was there as they far enough away from the entrances to the parking that even someone in a redneck truck can see them.

i was giggling with sick joy.

side note-almost mexico has the weirdest parking lots ever. the entrances are in weird places and weirdest layouts. if you want to get into some you have to go to the street behind the actually restaurants or store and by behind i mean that you can't even see the restaurant or whatever from that street but to get into the parking lot you have drive down a driveway that is only accessible from that street. weird.

Back in NOLA, they have (or maybe had, by now) regulations that make it illegal to cut corners like that. Some enterprising businesses would actually lay down spike strips after-hours in order to discourage this behavior. As amusing as the thought of that was, the practice was quickly stopped by the local government, due to the risk of pedestrians stepping on the damn things. Most places just went to lights-on-cones, or, far more effectively, asking the local patrol cops to have a unit hang out there after hours.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

almost had my car written of by a rev-head dickhead cutting through a service station carpark to avoid the lights when I was going to fill up one night.

Based on the value of his car vs mine I was sorely tempted to break just a little too lightly.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
        Apparently some person said 'huh.... bright yellow cement blocks about as tall as my car is from the ground... i can make it over them'
        Your car had better be bright orange and have an 01 on the doors and a Confederate flag on top! I'm guessing not though and it ended up more like Rosco or Enos' car... :P

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Back in NOLA, they have (or maybe had, by now) regulations that make it illegal to cut corners like that.
          Same in Ohio. The charge is "Avoiding a Traffic Control Device". Depending on the locality, they either don't care, or love to generate revenue from it.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
            Your car had better be bright orange and have an 01 on the doors and a Confederate flag on top! I'm guessing not though and it ended up more like Rosco or Enos' car... :P
            military town, so there are a lot of sedans and suvs. about the only a people with trucks are from one of the 'suburb'. aka we are a town of 45k the towns around us top 6 k. most of the time they come here or Benson, which according to http://www.city-data.com/city/Benson-Arizona.html only has a population of about 5000 but is right on the 10 and thus has 2? walmarts, rv parks, various other stores like tractor supply stores and the like. People who aren't close to us or douglas (aka usually on the other side of the board patrol check sights or are on the other side of benson at least) go there. everyone else comes here. which is way we now have a hobby lobby, joannes, best buy, tractor supply story, some other ranch store who i think is is called CRL, a dollar store, a food co-op and 3 grocery stores just in the main area of town (form the main street to the mall) plus about 10 or so hotel/motels.
            Last edited by Sliceanddice; 06-09-2015, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X