Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever they're smoking, it's catching. The Princess Margaret Bridge in my city is still open to traffic (With a reduced tonage limit; trucks can still use it) despite concrete falling off of it. They just adjusted the netting underneath the deck to catch the concrete if more fell off.

(Granted that was a few months ago. It's FINALLY getting some reconstruction work done on it, including nightly closures this week)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
      Not to sound insulting, but WHAT ARE THEY SMOKING?! Whatever it is, I hope it's not getting in the water.
      I'd like to know that too! Whatever it is, they seem to have a shitload of it!

Seriously though, many of the road problems, is simply because the state "cheaped out" when they were originally built. The surface really should be thicker, to withstand the freeze/thaw cycle during the winter. That's part of it, but when most of our highways were built...they were built as "patchwork," which may, or may not have been built to the same standards. Also consider that PennDOT typically farms out work to private contractors...some of which don't have the best reputations. Last but not least, inside the Pittsburgh city limits, are roughly 300 bridges...many of which were originally built in the 1900s. Combine their age, along with all the salt/cinders thrown on the decks, and they'll eventually wear out.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
      X