This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right of Way!

I swear, everyone should have to take a driving test every few years or when they have to renew their license. I honestly believe some people just do not know some of the rules because they've forgotten or the rules have changed since they acquired their license and they're unaware.

Here I made a picture of what I encounter A LOT around here(this particular situation happened yesterday).
    The brown car is the one parked on the side of the road for whatever reason. The X meaning it's stopped.
    Green car is me.
    Dark gray is some woman thinking she's the shit in her giant obnoxious SUV.

So I'm driving. I see the car ahead parked on the side of the road creating an obstruction. Since there was no one in front of me for a while, all the cars were going around the stopped car. Perfectly appropriate since they had room!
    As I'm getting closer to the stopped car, I see the SUV approaching. I already knew what was going to happen. I expect it.
    I don't slow down, I move over every so slightly because I was on my way to work and wasn't int he mood to get into an accident, and as I'm passing by the stopped car, the SUV woman decides to not stop even though the obstruction is on her side, and keeps going, leaving maybe inches between my vehicle and hers.
    I honk my horn but she doesn't look. Idiot.

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but I believe if someone gets x number of points on their license within a year, they should have to retake the written test on the spot, with no preparation. If they fail, they lose thier license and have to start over, retake driver training, and go back to a learner's permit.

I also think we should put in some penalties with teeth, like Brazil's new DUI laws. If you get busted for drunk driving, you get a fine of something like $1500 US, and lose your license for a year. Second offence, you lose your license forever, get a $10,000 US fine, and they seize your car to auction off.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
      I've mentioned this before in another thread, but I believe if someone gets x number of points on their license within a year, they should have to retake the written test on the spot, with no preparation. If they fail, they lose thier license and have to start over, retake driver training, and go back to a learner's permit.

I also think we should put in some penalties with teeth, like Brazil's new DUI laws. If you get busted for drunk driving, you get a fine of something like $1500 US, and lose your license for a year. Second offence, you lose your license forever, get a $10,000 US fine, and they seize your car to auction off.
      I'd totally support that!!
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

What is this Right Of Way you speak of?

No one around here seems to comprehend it. Ever.

Even 4 way stops befuddle the locals around here. It's just habbit nowadays, even if someone is after me, I let them go first. There's just been too many incidents of people full out blowing the stop sign or having the mentality of "Teh world revolves around ME!" and going anyway, even if I was first....

Unless they arrive several seconds after me, I just let them go. It's so not worth it to get into an accident.

And there have been several times that I HAVE started proceeding, and the retards go to gun it before I'm even all the way across.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I kind of like the way they do (or did?) it in Germany (this has been relayed to me by more than one German acquaintance)...

Driver's license requirements:

- No less than 6 months of true classroom driving instruction
          - Written test
          - Multi-session driving test in all sorts of weather
          - License fee that runs upwards of (the equivalent of) a thousand dollars US

For this, you get one license, EVER. You get it taken away by the cops, that's it, NO DRIVE FOR YOU! -- Tho I assume that there is some sort of way to eventually get it back. Getting caught driving without one is apparently a very very major offense, there >_>
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

For some strange reason I'm thinking of the classic joke, now.

'What do you call an eternity?'

"Four Blondes at a Four-way stop."

Comment

Working...
            X