This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What on Earth?

Short one from the errand run yesterday.

Driving down one of the residential streets here to get to the highway, I came up behind an SUV stopped at a green light. There were oncoming cars, including two school buses, but no one was signalling, no one was actually turning, the buses didn't have flashing reds (necessitating a stop regardless of traffic lights), and there were no pedestrians.

The light changed to yellow and the SUV began rolling slowly through the intersection. Red light, and the SUV drove through at normal speeds.

"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Were the traffic lamps horizontal? If so, he might be colour-blind, and therefore unable to distinguish red from green. (And also lacking in common sense to read the rest of the traffic.)

Comment

Nope, quite vertical, and the nice LED ones too, so they couldn't claim sun glare on the lights confusing them (though considering it was close to noon, that wouldn't have worked anyway). Just...very confusing. I never did catch up to them to see if they pulled more stunts like that, since I was caught at that and the next light (the lights in this city are poorly timed).
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Um yeah, if he didn't know red from green, he shouldn't be driving.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Maybe they were distracted, and didn't know the light changed? I'd be surprised that no one honked though.

Comment

"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red
            again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a
            bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."

- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Comment

Huh. I've seen people slow by 10miles to go through greens, but never stop. Personally, I'm cautious at the busy intersections, but stopping, hmmm.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

On a few occasions, while on a major street wanting to turn onto a minor street where people were waiting at the stop sign to turn onto the major street (they had a stop sign, I didn't), I've stopped and waved them through. Of course, the minor street was narrow enough that with my 53 foot trailer I needed to use the whole width of the minor street in making my turn, so I couldn't do it if there were cars in the way.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Summerfly413 View Post
                  Maybe they were distracted, and didn't know the light changed? I'd be surprised that no one honked though.
                  I would have, but I didn't quite catch up to them before they ran the red. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                  X