This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick! He's Getting Away!

Stopped at one of my favorite Habitat for Humanity stores today. As I'm going to my car I hear the distinctive sound of vehicular impact. Looking to the street I see someone has run up on the curb and hit a telephone pole. Now, I have first aid training, so the first thing I do is dash back inside to have them call the cops and then make my way over to the car to see if the guy is okay. He's fine, but really shook up, so with it being as cold as it is, the people from Habitat took him into the store so he didn't have to stand in the cold.

That's when the police show up.

Two patrol cars surround the wrecked car and the officers get out to look the scene over. I flagged the officers down and let them know that the driver is in the store.

Officer: (yells to his partner that the driver ran in the store) Thank you ma'am. Well catch him.
    Me: ??? Uh, no, he didn't <i>run</i> anywhere. We took him inside because he's pretty badly shook up.
    Officer: He wasn't trying to flee the scene?
    Me: No sir! But making him stand out here in the cold when he looked like he was going to pass out didn't seem like a good idea.
    Officer: (looking slightly confused) Oh. Okay. Thank you for telling us.

I'm not sure, but I don't think he would have believed me if the young man hadn't come out of the store at that moment, one of the workers flanking him and very clearly concerned about the way the guy's hands were still shaking.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Drivers have been known to run away after an accident. Several yeras ago someone crashed into a parked car on my street, sending it through a fence and up onto a lawn. The driver ran away and was found several blocks away.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I forgot to mention... the White cop didn't seem concerned that the guy would have run until I described the young Black man to him. Hrmm.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I've never been in an accident but I just about ran over a median(small hump of concrete, barely raised, not painted, and bad headlights) trying to get into a turn lane. Ended up on the other side of the road's turning lane. Luckily they had a red light, and I drove back over the median to get into the proper lane and turned. But I was shaking for a good 15-20 afterwards. I could barely get my money out at the store I was shaking so bad.

Comment

Working...
        X