This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it kill you to signal?

...Because not signalling certainly seems likely to kill you one of these days.

I'm really starting to hate how the majority of people here don't seem keen on signalling when they're driving and changing lanes. (or turning, or pulling out of parallel parking spaces, or....)

On Monday, my husband got a notice in the mail that there was a package for us at the post office. We must've had a substitute mailman that day who didn't feel like delivering the package to our door because I was home all day and never heard the doorbell (we checked it; it's not broken again), and the regular mailman has a key to the stairwells in our complex anyway. I had a flimsier package that was rolled up and stuffed in our tiny box, but the package that wasn't delivered was too stiff for that treatment.

This necessitated a trip to the post office on Tuesday. For many parts of downtown, there are at least two driving lanes each direction. I was in the right-hand lane approaching an intersection where I intended to turn right. There were two cars in the left-hand lane. Apparently the second, a minivan, didn't want to wait for the car ahead of them to pull through the intersection because, just as I came abreast with their rear bumper, they pulled into my lane without warning. Thank goodness I had working brakes and that the roads were clear. Had that stunt happened today, I would have hit them.

Unfortunately, the post office couldn't find my package anywhere, so I had to go back again today (after receiving a phone call last night to let me know that it had been located). I headed to the post office with some of the least driving stress I've had since moving out here, since the snow kept most of the city's drivers off the roads. On the way back, though.... I was driving down one of the residential streets where there's only one driving lane each direction, and parallel parking on the sides of the streets. I'm going a very safe speed since the roads are potentially slick (at least if you slam on your brakes), and keeping an eye out for other drivers.

Then a Jeep with a plow on the front, sitting in a parallel parking space outside a little shop, suddenly starts to pull out in front of me just as I come up next to it. No signal, no taillights to let me know the car is on (because its headlights were off), no telltale exhaust because there's snow billowing around. Just a plow attachment suddenly pulling into where my front bumper is going to be in half a second. Thankfully I managed to tap the brakes enough and the other driver realized that my big red vehicle with headlights on was actually in the driving lane, and I was able to get ahead of them without crunching my front bumper on their plow.

Seriously, if they're not going to bother looking before they pull in front of me, would it kill them to signal so I at least have some warning?
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

I hate it when people don't use their signals. It takes like what a slight motion of a hand....

Comment

Oh me too....especially as a pedestrian. It seems if a car is turning and there are no other cars around but there are pedestrians....they don't even bother. Hello I need to know where you are going too!!! I'd rather not be crushed thanks.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

There's a joke here that nobody in NM uses turn signals because it confuses the natives.

Kogarashi - It sounds like neither of those would have mattered if they had signaled or not because they flat out didn't even look!
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Actually, I think they are trying to save energy. I mean turn signal powers a light which uses some power from the engine which uses gas. So in essence they save probably a fraction of a cent. Over time those fractions of cents become cents.....

Comment

That's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to driving around here. Driving along, another car in front, and then out of nowhere brake lights come on and I'm slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting them when they slow from 45 to 5 to make a turn, no signal whatsoever. The opposite end of the spectrum, some idiots around my neck of the woods like to drive with their turn signals on all the time. Are they going to turn? No one knows! It's gotten to the point where if I'm at an intersection with a stop sign waiting for people to pass by, and one has a turn signal on, I wait until I'm sure they're actually turning before I pull out.
            A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
              Actually, I think they are trying to save energy. I mean turn signal powers a light which uses some power from the engine which uses gas. So in essence they save probably a fraction of a cent. Over time those fractions of cents become cents.....
              Have you been watching "Superman III" again?

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
              That's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to driving around here. Driving along, another car in front, and then out of nowhere brake lights come on and I'm slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting them when they slow from 45 to 5 to make a turn, no signal whatsoever.
              Well, to be fair, you shouldn't be following that close. Just sayin'.

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
              The opposite end of the spectrum, some idiots around my neck of the woods like to drive with their turn signals on all the time. Are they going to turn? No one knows! It's gotten to the point where if I'm at an intersection with a stop sign waiting for people to pass by, and one has a turn signal on, I wait until I'm sure they're actually turning before I pull out.
              Oh, they're going to turn....sometime in the next millennium. They're just making sure that they've signaled far enough in advance.

The one's that make me laugh though are the one's with, say, the right turn signal on....and then they turn left.

Comment

So in essence they save probably a fraction of a cent. Over time those fractions of cents become cents.....
                Quoth Pagan View Post
                Have you been watching "Superman III" again?
                Tsk, tsk, tsk. On this forum the appropriate movie reference is Office Space, even if they were inspired by Superman III.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Over time those fractions of cents become cents.....
                  And these people could definitely use sense.

Comment

Yep just had some stupid tool lay on his horn at me because I just happened to "be in his way" when he wanted to change lanes, of course without signalling. How dare I not be able to read his mind and get in his way even though I legally had the right-of-way.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Tsk, tsk, tsk. On this forum the appropriate movie reference is Office Space, even if they were inspired by Superman III.
                      Awwww shaddup!

I have tried to watch that movie and just....can't. I don't know what it is exactly, but this movie annoys the hell out of me.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Well, to be fair, you shouldn't be following that close. Just sayin'.
                        Oy. I'm not talking the ones who slow down as they approach, I mean the ones who slam on their brakes and nearly stop to make their turn. It's not like I'm riding their bumper, but with no warning they're about to do this maneuver, it's enough to scare the shit out of you. That's the point I'm trying to make.
                        A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Awwww shaddup!

I have tried to watch that movie and just....can't. I don't know what it is exactly, but this movie annoys the hell out of me.
                          Well, in that case.... I've also seen movies that annoy the hell out of me, and still don't want to watch them even though I may know why they annoy me.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

But then again, I can appreciate why people might not use their signals. There are a few people who when seeing a turn signal to make a lane change will take that opportunity to speed up so they are just in your blindspot and then will make it difficult for you to get over.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                              Kogarashi - It sounds like neither of those would have mattered if they had signaled or not because they flat out didn't even look!
                              Ah, but if they had bothered to signal, I would've had some warning and thus less of a heart attack. And less of the following exchange:

Me: Gyaaaaah! ::slams on brakes::

Three-year-old in backseat: Mommy, what "Gyaaaah" mean? (seriously, she asks this every time I make some sort of surprised yelp)
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X