Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlights, Motherf**ker, do you have them!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights, Motherf**ker, do you have them!?

And just hours after posting a comment in this thread, which concerns people who don't turn on their headlights, guess what happens at work today?

Just to explain a few things first. The parking lot at the wholesale club is divided into two sections. One side is partly shared with the Wally World next door, and handles most of the customers who shop at our store. The other side (divided by a small hill with a median and trees and a footpath) is colloquially known as the "employee side" by those who work at the store, since most of us park on that side. (Though plenty of customers use it as well.)

A couple of weeks ago, the lights on the employee side and the two closest poles on the main side went out. Not sure why, but they apparently can't fix them because of an electrical fire in the wiring, which is buried under the dividing median... which itself is buried under about five, six feet of plowed snow.

So. That side of the lot is a lot darker than the main side. Onto today's incident.

Me and Hoss are outside collecting carts. Hoss is walking ahead of me, through the crosswalk, pushing our stabilizer carts, I'm behind steering the cart-pusher. Hoss has to stop to let a rather speedy little bastard zip past in his car, and moves on. I'm about to follow when I happen to glance left and then STOP, jumping a little to avoid ramming my ribs into the stopped cart-pusher.

Some motherfucker in an SUV was coming down on me. In a dark-colored car, in an unfortunately darkened lot, which only its running lights on.

To the asshole's credit, he slammed on his brakes as well and then flicked his headlights on. He waited for me to proceed, but I just angrily gestured for him to continue, trying to telepathically send the message "Go on, then, if you're in such a fucking hurry!" with such force to make him spontaneously hemorrhage in his brain. Sadly, it appears I'm not a scanner, so that didn't work, but the asshole did move on, albeit slower than before, and at least left his lights on.

Seriously, it's dark-- 9:00pm at this point-- even moreso when you consider the lack of streetlights in that part of the lot, and there's just enough fog to make what beams of light there are stand out a bit. Just because you're apparently a T-800 sent by Skynet to kill John Connor and can see in the dark doesn't mean the rest of us can! Headlights are not only for YOU to see, it's so OTHER PEOPLE can see YOU!
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

I see quite a few people driving in parking lots at night with no headlights. You would think they'd turn them on due to the possibility of there being pedestrians in the road, as it is A PARKING LOT!

Glad you're ok!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      I see quite a few people driving in parking lots at night with no headlights. You would think they'd turn them on due to the possibility of there being pedestrians in the road, as it is A PARKING LOT!

Glad you're ok!
      I see that quite a bit around here too. I think they are just too lazy to flip their headlight switch another notch. Every so often I see people with no headlights. And of course several people with just one headlight.

Comment

Sometimes the mistake can be understandable.

One 4th of July evening when I was about 13 or so, my family and I went to see fireworks in a big city. We were parked in the parking lot of a business some distance away from the fireworks location, but comfortably within a small business district with lots of streetlights and such. As soon as the show was over, we hopped into the car to head out so we wouldn't get stuck in the exodus from the parking lot.

So as not to blind the other people around us, my mom left the headlights off while we pulled out of the lot, but then in the press of cars around and the brightness of the streetlights, she simply forgot that her headlights weren't actually on. That is, until my sisters and I noticed someone flashing their lights at Mom, and she realized her mistake.

That said, you really have to wonder about the people who are driving where there are no lights (or at least no working lights) who still don't have their headlights on. How do they see where they're going?
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
        X