This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police are apparently exempt

So, where I live in Orem, UT, and just south of here in Provo, the police are known for being crooked, mean, and far too under paid. I haven't been pulled over in either city, but the one I did get pulled over by was definitely power tripping.

Anywho, I have a friend who lives up in Pleasant Grove, the town directly north of Orem, and found this wonderful mess in his apartment complex:

If that were my car, it'd have been towed within 5 minutes.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Wow, you live right by me! *also in Provo* It's true. The police here are terrible. I think part of it is that they're bored, but still. It's ridiculous.

Comment

I never ran into that with the police in Provo, but then I was a University student, not a regular resident, so I usually delt with Campus Police instead. Sounds like New Haven police, though.

Seriously. I saw one cop on the highway here who kept changing lanes without signalling. He got off the highway at the same exit as me, and went to turn into Walmart. There was a red light, with a No Turn on Red sign (like most of the city). He turned anyway. Go figure. Of course, almost no one in this town actually heeds the No Turn on Red (except where it's actually allowed; then they sit there until they get a green), and it seems like less than half the people here bother with signals when changing lanes.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

That's pretty damned sad.

Heck, where I am I can ticket an ambulance for sitting in a handicap spot during a non-emergency! Though, I wouldn't do that to the city's ambulances, which never do that; only the privately owned ones.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Citizen's arrest?

Story: a friend of mine was walking to school (so long ago that I don't want to think about it...) and saw a police car that didn't stop properly at the 4-way stop in front of the school. Turned out that the officer driving was at the school giving a talk about safety. When he asked if there were any questions, my friend asked him why he didn't stop like they tell everyone else to...

Apparently he didn't have an answer.

"Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/
            send that pic and any other ones to this site and if you think you can get away with it,apply the printable form on the windshield...

youparklikeanasshole.com
            two spots, one car
            ummm...a little too close
            too far away from driveway
            too close to my driveway
            over the painted lines
            diagonal parking: cool car
            diagonal parking: not so cool car
            move up!
            that’s a compact?
            other:
            (check all that apply)
            PARKING IS FAR TOO LIMITED IN OUR OVERCROWDED STREETS AND PARKING LOTS, AND YOU HAPPENED TO PARK LIKE AN
            ASSHOLE. GO TO THE ABOVE WEB SITE TO SEE WHY SOMEONE ELSE THOUGHT YOU PARKED LIKE AN ASSHOLE. DON’T BE TOO
            OFFENDED, WE ALL DO IT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER—IT JUST SO HAPPENS YOU GOT CAUGHT.

Comment

Most people respect the badge; everyone respects the gun.
              -Rober D'Niro

Comment

To be fair, if it was an emergency, I wouldn't want the police to waste time finding a parking spot. I saw fire trucks parked on the wrong side of the street the other day but I didn't throw a fit. I know their lights are off, but they don't always turn them on when they are in a residential area because it could attract a crowd.

I am just doubting the image. I don't know of many cities that let police cruisers go home with the police officer. I know some sheriffs take their car home. No offense.

Comment

I listened to a cop in Texas explain to someone that the "exempt" on the police license plates meant that they were exempt from traffic laws. That was patently untrue - it meant the cars were exempt from registration fees. Otherwise, ALL state government cars would be exempt for traffic laws since they all had "exempt" on their plates! Either a liar or an idiot.
                  Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Officers taking the cruisers home is pretty standard around here (Utah).

I know a Highway Patrolman who had his cruiser stolen from his driveway.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We had an incident like that on the campus I graduated from... when it was denied someone posted a few pictures on the student message board.. next week... it was stated that the cop and their supervisor would be suspended if a car was parked in the handicapped parking spaces.

Hence.. no more parking there!

Comment

Quoth casey13 View Post
                        To be fair, if it was an emergency, I wouldn't want the police to waste time finding a parking spot.
                        Wasn't an emergency. The officer lives in that complex. The car sat in that spot for 3 days. The photographer is a friend, who also lives at the complex. I doubt any emergency requires a lone officer be parked like that for 3 days, without any manner of backup being sent. :-)
                        Coworker: Distro of choice?
                        Me: Gentoo.
                        Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
                          Wasn't an emergency. The officer lives in that complex. The car sat in that spot for 3 days. The photographer is a friend, who also lives at the complex. I doubt any emergency requires a lone officer be parked like that for 3 days, without any manner of backup being sent. :-)
                          Whats the big deal, he is clearly handicapped because he can't even park correctly in the space or the part marked for not parking in. You really need to have the person who IS handicapped next to him, double park him in because the spot is being taken just to see what happens.

You could just leave a note saying you will contact internal affairs. A neighbor sent letters to IA about my Dad because my mom is a bitch and doesn't play nice with the neighbor. The guy who was tasked with investigation had a hard time connecting any wrong doing on my Dads part since his wife is a bitch and in no way other than being married to a cop connected to the police. Notice, I said let him know your going to do it and you probably won't even need to follow to because if he likes taking his car home. He probably shouldn't draw attention to illegal parking.
                          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I live in a really small town, and after I used to close the store I worked at I would sit outside the store, and talk to the closing driver. While we sat there we would see cops actually having drag races in their chargers down Main St.
                            Last edited by arminius58; 03-14-2010, 01:34 AM.

Comment

On a side note, I was once told by the Sherrif that he considered running red lights and speeding were considered perks of the job, and that he would consider stealing pizzas and cokes a perk of mine.
                              Mod Note

I'm going to head this one off before it starts.

Stick to the original topic folks.
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                              X