This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth casey13 View Post
    To be fair, if it was an emergency, I wouldn't want the police to waste time finding a parking spot. I saw fire trucks parked on the wrong side of the street the other day but I didn't throw a fit. I know their lights are off, but they don't always turn them on when they are in a residential area because it could attract a crowd.

I am just doubting the image. I don't know of many cities that let police cruisers go home with the police officer. I know some sheriffs take their car home. No offense.
    There are lots of agencies that allow officers to take their cars home with them. It's good for communities; drives down local crime. But it is expensive in the short term as you have to have one car for each officer rather than a fleet shared among officers. Long term it saves money on maintenance and mileage.

If you see a cop in a handicapped space or otherwise illegally parked for more than an hour, you can always call the non-emergency number and report it. Chances are his watch commander will tell him to move it.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
      There are lots of agencies that allow officers to take their cars home with them. It's good for communities; drives down local crime. But it is expensive in the short term as you have to have one car for each officer rather than a fleet shared among officers. Long term it saves money on maintenance and mileage.

If you see a cop in a handicapped space or otherwise illegally parked for more than an hour, you can always call the non-emergency number and report it. Chances are his watch commander will tell him to move it.
      True. But some localities don't have enough vehicles currently to allow one for each patrol officer, such as Greensboro. Currently patrol officers share vehicles and as a result, don't get to drive them home after their shift is over.

There's been discussion with the City Council within the past year about getting enough money to be able to do that, but so far they can't seem to come up with enough money right now.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        True. But some localities don't have enough vehicles currently to allow one for each patrol officer, such as Greensboro. Currently patrol officers share vehicles and as a result, don't get to drive them home after their shift is over.

There's been discussion with the City Council within the past year about getting enough money to be able to do that, but so far they can't seem to come up with enough money right now.
        Oh so tempting . . . but I won't get into fratching territory

I used to live in a community in Maryland where cops could take their cars home. It was great, especially cuz there were a lot of cops in my neighborhood. We had NO crime.
        Last edited by Sapphire Silk; 03-17-2010, 12:53 AM. Reason: Add thought
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
        X