Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many (pot)holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many (pot)holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall?

Answer; tons. And they're all on the roads round where I live. -.- It's ridiculous; I end up having to play pothole slalom trying to avoid them, and some are really deep and dangerous. O_o
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    Answer; tons. And they're all on the roads round where I live. -.- It's ridiculous; I end up having to play pothole slalom trying to avoid them, and some are really deep and dangerous. O_o
    apparently they were caused by the exceptionally icy weather we had, many have opened up recently in the roads round here as well.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

One of the potholes around here (which is now thankfully filled) was 5ft square. Impossible to dodge whatever vehicle you're driving.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Pothole dodging is a national sport in Canada Last year I hit what looked like a very narrow, shallow pothole that I didn't see until the last second...

Popped two tires and ruined one of my mag rims *sigh*
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

My favorite here was seeing a police cruiser having to be towed out of a pothole, it was so big. It was filled in later that day.

Comment

Pfft. There was a pothole on my road that was so big and deep (and impossible to see because of the way the light hit it) that it bottomed out the Oil Pan on an 18-wheeler. Apparently the impact snapped the truck's front axle like a toothpick and inertia decided to allow the bottom third of the engine to play 'bounce off of the roadway' for around ten feet.

The Truck driver got out, took a Dozen pictures of what happened, then, (with my dad driving after the truck was reported and towed for repairs) headed for the local municipal office to show off just how well the City's taking care or rural roads.

Last I heard, the city had to pay for the repairs to the truck, and earmarked an additional 5 million to actually working on rural roadways. (which is enough to repair ONE medium-length street)

Comment

Same around here. Between all the wet weather and puddling, and snow and all around wintery weather, I consider a potless road a blessing.

There's one on the way to work that Bleu just barely straddles, and it takes up almost the whole lane. I'm just waiting to blow a tire on it, and there's no other real way around it without swerving into oncoming traffic.

Comment

I think this guy might have an idea.

Comment

The main annoying one is right on the edge of the road; it's deep enough that a small dog could lie down in it, and it's really difficult to dodge. -.- I can dodge it usually on a motorbike, but anyone with a car is going to hit it square on with an outside tire.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Since I started learning to drive (mid January, with my test in 2 weeks time) I found out very quickly, some "roads" I have been practising on are not roads, they are potholes with little bits of road in.

Fortunately the two cars I have been using (Ford Focus & Nissan Note) have been very kind going through them.

C.
                    Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                      I think this guy might have an idea.

It just suddenly occurred to me that I got this joke. XD I've just heard it in a different context (Sonic Paradox) so I didn't get it at first. Good one.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Personally, I think my city has bigger worries than cutting down tree after tree after tree after tree and sweeping the streets.

Fix the fucking potholes, assholes. The main drag of town is nothing BUT potholes.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

At some point, when there are more holes than road surface, it would make more sense to just repave the whole road rather than filling in the holes, don't you think?

Oh, and regarding the Subject line:

Quoth Daily Mail, 17 January 1967
                          There are 4000 holes in the road in Blackburn Lancashire, one twenty-sixth of a hole per person, according to a council survey. If Blackburn is typical then there are over two million holes in Britain's roads and 300 000 in London.

Comment

A Day In The Life - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Welcome to my world. Pothole dodging is standard procedure come spring in my area. The freeze-thaw cycle combined with snowplows gives you a lunar surface to drive on.

Growing up, one of the local news stations would go out and broadcast wherever someone reported a bad pothole to them. They called it the "Pothole Patrol." Funny, any pothole that was on the evening news got filled in fast. Not sure if it was just the city trying to save face, or if they were liable for damages since the pothole had been publicly reported, but it was effective....
                              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                              X