This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varied

- I don't know what it is about this town, but we get cut off all the time with NOBODY behind us. WTF. (And of course, half the time they end up sitting next to us at the light five seconds later).

- Local library has a weird intended-to-be-read-by-public complaints system. One jerk wanted some of the many disabled parking spaces to be turned into expectant mother spaces. The official reply was 'We have as many disabled spots as the law says'. GGRRR.

- Another seemingly local phenomenon is pedestrians flinging themselves out into traffic without looking left or right.

Quoth Lots42 View Post
    - Another seemingly local phenomenon is pedestrians flinging themselves out into traffic without looking left or right.
    It's not local, I'm afraid. It happens here, too. I think people have gotten it into their heads that "I'm a pedestrian, therefore I've got the right of way and I'll just sue you if you hit me." attitude. While they may very well have the right of way (and depending on location, probably do), they should still be on the lookout for drivers that aren't paying attention.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

The flinging into traffic is definitely a universal phenomenon. I saw it too often to count at College Town, and now here on the other end of the country in University City, I still see it. With bicycles, too, which is arguably worse because they don't just step out into traffic, they rocket out. Harder to dodge.

Also, in this city, crosswalk signals appear to be for decoration. It never ceases to amaze me when someone actually uses them, rather than hitting the button, jaywalking when it's clear because they get impatient, and then traffic getting stuck at an all-direction-walk signal with no pedestrians in sight.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      "I'm a pedestrian, therefore I've got the right of way and I'll just sue you if you hit me." attitude.
      All well and good, except that it's hard to sue someone if you're a smear on the pavement.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

One one small one way stretch of road in town the other day I saw 3 separate totally oblivious people just wander across the road in front of cars. Granted, that street is pedestrianised.... between 10 am & 3pm, but this was 9am!

Also totally oblivious was the woman who had managed to miss a large blue left arrow sign, 2 no entry signs & the large NO ENTRY printed on the road & started to drive the wrong way up the same street.

Is it time to chlorinate the gene pool yet?
        Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          I think people have gotten it into their heads that "I'm a pedestrian, therefore I've got the right of way and I'll just sue you if you hit me." attitude.
          Assuming the driver paid just enough attention to have insurance.
          And may your smug feelings of superiority be a comfort to you as you enjoy a long and full life with no legs, a colostomy bag, and nearly 65% brain function.
          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I get the most hot and bothered over the pedestrians who go flinging themselves across the highways that go through town. I mean, we are talking 4 to 6 lanes of highway, speeds of 45-50 mph, and you are really going to risk that instead of waiting for the light?

I understand what it's like to not have a car. Oh trust me, I know what it's like to be stuck walking everywhere. And unfortunately, I know what it's like to have to run errands at busy traffic places. But why would you do something that stupid as to run out in front of 6 lanes of busy traffic?!!?!
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
              ... and nearly 65% brain function.
              I didn't know that getting hit by a car while jaywalking increases an idiot's brain function. What will they think of next?
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My brother lives in a small town, and it has a major highway that runs right through the middle of it. Now, downtown has plenty of stop lights and crosswalks, but at the north end of town they are few and far between, and its got hills and curves.

No matter how many signs and warnings they put up, including a 3' concrete barrier on both shoulders and in the middle,, some pedestrian tries to cross and gets nailed at high speed at least once a month, fatally as often as not. Almost always it's on a hill, on a curve, at night. What better place to cross a 6 lane highway?

There's a guy there who got hit about 10 years ago, he spent well over a month in the hospital and wound up losing his arm. 2 or 3 years after that, he got hit again, at the same spot, and lost both his legs. And as far as I know, neither driver was ever charged since they were found to be not at fault.
                Last edited by infinitemonkies; 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM. Reason: forgot a detail
                Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I have to say that the phenomenon occurs here too... but ....

I'm giggling over the 'flinging pedestrians' phrase. Too funny.
                  Make a list of important things to do today.
                  At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                  Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                    It's not local, I'm afraid. It happens here, too. I think people have gotten it into their heads that "I'm a pedestrian, therefore I've got the right of way and I'll just sue you if you hit me." attitude. While they may very well have the right of way (and depending on location, probably do), they should still be on the lookout for drivers that aren't paying attention.
                    They think that, but when something actually happens, they're fucked. My sister was at a light in town (we're in a college town), and the light turned green and some girl on her cell phone actually walked INTO my sister's car on the passengers side as she was turning left. I'm serious; there is a dent from this person.

She was flung back and broke her leg. There were SEVERAL witnesses to this claim. A couple months later she got something in the mail from this person's lawyer. She also got a copy of the police report which pretty much cleared her of any wrong-doing. Needless to say, the claim never got anywhere.

Comment

Quoth Lots42 View Post
                      Definitely not a local thing. And, as the tourist quotient goes up, it gets worse. Every summer, the closer down to the Plaza you get in Santa Fe, the more oblivious the damntourists get. One of the streets that goes around the Plaza is closed to motor vehicle traffic in the summer. However, the other three are not. Add to that that there are a lot of state gov businesses down there.

They seem to not realize that Santa Fe is a functioning city and is not just there for their amusement.

Quoth blas View Post
                      I get the most hot and bothered over the pedestrians who go flinging themselves across the highways that go through town. I mean, we are talking 4 to 6 lanes of highway, speeds of 45-50 mph, and you are really going to risk that instead of waiting for the light?
                      We get that occasionally, too. At some points, I25 and I40 are 8 lanes across. Every few months, some idiot will decide to try to cross one. At night. Do I need to tell you that they're always drunk, too?

I'm just surprised that it hasn't happened in the Big I....yet.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                      X