This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving?

Was at a stop sign tonight and had this sight. A young girl driving with her foot out the window and a cell tucked between her chin and shoulder. Here in WA they just in acted driving with cell in hand a primary offense. that and the reckless driving would get her in a lot of trouble. I dont see how you can drive like that, all scouched down in the seat and not being able to see out the windows.
    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Quoth pitmonkey View Post
    cell tucked between her chin and shoulder. ... cell in hand
    Wanna bet if she gets a ticket she tries to argue "but my cell wasnt in my hand!"?
    I don't get why drivers do this. Not only is it illegal, and unsafe, but I don't know that I've ever seen a cell phone that wasn't speaker-phone/handsfree capable. Certainly not in the last 10 years.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Personally, I can't drive with a cell phone in hand. I've tried in the past. Nope, can't do it. That's a bit too much multitasking for me, so I don't do it. I can't see how other people can do it...I know a small percentage probably can (scientific studies have shown they exist, but are a very small percentage), but if the majority are like me, then yikes!
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
        Certainly not in the last 10 years.
        Ok, I acknowledge that I'm not the best person to be commenting here, as I am actively avoiding having either a cell phone or a car. (I LOVE the city). However, if a person is over the age of 25 or so there's no reason that they wouldn't have an older cell phone. The old phones actually work fairly well. And remember that about 5-6 years ago the phones all fell victim to the "look how small we can make this, it fits in your pocket so well! Usability? What's that?" problems. So people kept their older phones. Once that ended, we were into the current "It's a really basic phone. All it does it take pictures and play music." problems.

Comment

I grant you the point, Magpie, but I suspect that people who use cell phones SO much they cant stop calling for 5 or 10 minutes to drive probably have newer phones with all the features.

Actually, depending on your area, many phones that old can't be used anymore because the type of signal that was most common in the 90s has been changed.

Personally, I hate the tiny phones. I got a new one around 2006, (nothing wrong with my old phone, but a free upgrade for renewing my contract) and I walked into the store and said "I want the largest, heaviest phone you have with the least number of features." The salesman looked shocked for a moment then replied "We don't have anything like that."
          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

"I want the largest, heaviest phone you have with the least number of features." The salesman looked shocked for a moment then replied "We don't have anything like that."
            This is why my husband still has his phone from ten years ago . And why my parents had the same model phone until 6 months ago (they wanted to get my mom a phone of her own, and it worked out to be worth it to get two new phones).

And I definitely understand your point. If you have a cell phone glued to your ear at all times it's probably a new one.

Comment

I love when I see people driving, talking on a cell phone, and smoking at the same time. I think, sweetie, you're out of hands. :?

Comment

Personally, I hate the tiny phones. I got a new one around 2006, (nothing wrong with my old phone, but a free upgrade for renewing my contract) and I walked into the store and said "I want the largest, heaviest phone you have with the least number of features." The salesman looked shocked for a moment then replied "We don't have anything like that."
                Maybe look into the special cell phones targeted towards old folks. They have large buttons and only make calls. I think one is called the Jitterbug. Here's a CNet link I found:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11282_7-6559306-1.html
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                X