This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
    Do you have to provide your own A/C units?

I think most A/C units have a condensate outlet that can be connected to a hose to channel the water to a drain. In my experience, most people don't do that.
    The older units had that. Newer ones have the fan slinging the water on the coils to evaporate it into the air (yay, more humidity) which also gives them a tiny bit more efficiency, so they can claim a higher EER than otherwise. The fact that it makes a sloshing noise all night long when you're trying to sleep is irrelevant to the discussion.

(Oh, and if they tried banning candles in my apartment I'd claim religious discrimination.)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
      The older units had that. Newer ones have the fan slinging the water on the coils to evaporate it into the air (yay, more humidity) which also gives them a tiny bit more efficiency, so they can claim a higher EER than otherwise. The fact that it makes a sloshing noise all night long when you're trying to sleep is irrelevant to the discussion.

(Oh, and if they tried banning candles in my apartment I'd claim religious discrimination.)
      I have one of the new "slosher" units. The fan/compressor is quieter but the water and fan erase that. However, it does have a drain. It came with a plastic attachment you could attach a hose to. It just drips onto my lawn, so i don't really care.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
        I've lived in three different apartment complexes (including the current one) that ban candles in the apartments themselves due to fire hazards. Understandable enough in the current place (hardwood floor in most rooms) and the singles' apartment (wood everything, just about), but it made no sense in the cinderblock building with cement floors. At our current place, some people just ignore the rule (and hide the candles when we have our thrice-yearly inspections) or light birthday candles in the community room, where it's allowed. I figure it's just something to put up with until we get our own place, and I have a candle warmer for my scented candles.

But no dripping AC units? That's nuts.

Oh, the cinderblock complex had a rule that was also a bit weird. Each apartment had a balcony. The balcony was connected to the apartment by a door, and to the external stairwells by a gate. Each apartment also had a door connecting to the same stairwells, right next to the balcony door. Lastly, the center balconies were connected to their neighboring balconies by a narrow breezeway.

Hubby and I were told we couldn't put a wicker chair on our balcony because it posed a trip hazard in case of a fire. Not that it was a fire hazard itself, but that if there was a fire and the building was evacuated, someone could trip over it. The only people who should be on our balcony in case of evacuation was us or our immediate neighbors who were connected by breezeway. Nevermind that the breezeway would only be used if one of the stairwells was blocked by fire. In the cinderblock and cement building. We ended up giving the chair away because it didn't fit in the apartment.

And yet we were allowed to chain our bike to the balcony railing. Go figure.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
        X