This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car alarms and Great Danes

As we departed Walgreen's, someone's car alarm went off. It was one of those really obnoxious ones, too.

I skimmed the parking lot to determine which car it was and if, in fact, someone was trying to bust into it. I saw the car, and...something...rustling about inside it, so I got closer to investigate.

Within the car was a very nervous-looking Great Dane. He seemed to be freaking out. As soon as the alarm shut off, he moved, and the alarm went off again.

Seriously, if you have a dog in the car, don't leave the alarm on, because the dog is obviously going to set it off! Especially a Great Dane stuffed in a puny sedan! I think the Great Dane is enough protection for your car...you don't need the alarm! (Even though every single Great Dane I've known have all just been cuddly adorable teddy bears! )

As we left, the obnoxious alarm was going off for a third time, and I was on the verge of going postal.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

That poor dog, he was probably scared of it!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Great Danes are scared of everything. Haven't you ever seen Scooby Doo?
      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Sadly, it's not that simple. How many cars these days have alarms installed, standard? How many such factory-installed alarms can be disabled while still actually locking the doors of the car? Not many.

Comment

and that is why you leave doggies at home and not alone in a car. with any luck the alarm will kill the owners battery. serves them right for scaring the hell outta their pooch.
          Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Actually, most factory alarms are push once to lock, push twice to arm the alarm.
            Last edited by Crawley; 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM. Reason: damn you typos!!!!!!
            If today is an indication of the rest of the week, I'm going to need to start drinking. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth Crawley View Post
              Actually, most factory alarms are push once to lock, push twice to arm the alarm.
              Many factory remotes will generate a horn chirp the second time you press the "lock" button, but the first press will arm the factory alarm. I've never seen one that you had to press twice to arm. Additionally, many vehicles will arm the alarm when you press the "lock" button on the door and then close it, or when you turn the key in the door cylinder.

It's uncommon for a factory alarm to include a motion or shock sensor, though; usually they only trigger when you open the trunk, door or hood, or if the ignition is activated.
              Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                It's uncommon for a factory alarm to include a motion or shock sensor, though; usually they only trigger when you open the trunk, door or hood, or if the ignition is activated.
                could be a custom job. my bro had one that went off in a strong breeze until it was fixed.
                Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Quoth siead_lietrathua View Post
                  with any luck the alarm will kill the owners battery. serves them right for scaring the hell outta their pooch.
                  ...and for leaving the poor thing in the car in the first place >_>
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'd ditch the annoying ass alarm if I have a dog in the car for many reasons. Dogs are great friends and if anybody tries to mess with you or your stuff they'll start kicking ass! I was coming out of the Publix by my old house and saw this rednecked out truck with 3 big Rotties in the bed of the truck...now THAT'S a car alarm!
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                    X