This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Across the Parking Lot

I almost got hit today when I was about to park so I could have lunch.

This particular fast food establishment is in the center of a large, often empty parking lot. It's laid out something like this:

Gas........................................[
    Station...................................[
    ..............................................[Stores
    ..............................................[
    BK..........................................[

Etc.

Most of the parking spaces far away from the stores and closer to the restaurants are empty, so lots of people drive straight across.

I'm driving up on the upper side of the BK per the map I just piddled out, in an actual DRIVING area. I turn in to park in a parking spot near the BK, but not in the actual BK parking lot, since it's rush hour and it's full/even if it's not, the drive-thru crowd will be a huge block at lunch time.

Some dillweed is just BLAZING through the parking lot from the side of the gas station straight to the BK and other eateries. And nearly HITS ME as I'm slowing my already-slow speed to park. I end up moving to a spot slightly over because this douche just hits the breaks and doesn't move.

Naturally, Dillweed went to the drive thru. Hate those people... hope they all get ticketed for parking somewhere they shouldn't.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Ugh... this drives me insane as well. When I go to the local Wal-Mart, for some reason it's always a freaking traffic jam in front of the store, so I always pull into the first aisle and drive up a bit to park there, and walk. Good for the exercise, anyway. Where I park, there's usually not that many cars because everyone crams into the spots closer to the store. Several times I've nearly been plastered by someone just barrelling across the parking lot aisles looking for a spot. One time I nearly got plastered by someone who drove through the parked cars, and didn't even stop to look if someone was driving up the aisle. It's like they forget all the rules of the road when they drive into a parking lot.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Not that it matters but I seem to remember from driver's ed that if you're going across a parking lot like that, you're supposed to stop everytime you're entering the driving lane.

Comment

What I remember from driver's ed is you're not supposed to cut across parking spots at all.

Of course, everyone does (including me, I will admit).
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

That is what I remember also (the No you don't drive through a parking lot and go through the parking spaces bit..unless you are actually parking). The exception being of course the lanes between the spaces. People do tend to ignore this however. If I had a $100 for every idiot I had to dodge, I might never have to work again.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I drive through parking lots, but I'm also EXTREMELY cautious. Usually i'm cruising at 3mph with my foot over the break.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I cut across parking lots all the time, but I take it slow, 3-10mph depending on visibility (generally closer to 3) and get as far away from the parked vehicles as possible to maximize visibility. I do it to avoid speed bumps and the obnoxious parking lot stop-signs-that-really-dont-need-to-be-there.

Comment

I do the same as you two. I'm very careful about it. Our Walmart is weird. You will be going down a driving lane and suddenly there are parking spot painted in. They didn't make it right.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I will cut across parking lots, but am very cautious. If it is near the store where most people park, i stick to the lanes but if it as at the edge with few cars I will do it, but go very slowly.

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                    Ugh... this drives me insane as well. When I go to the local Wal-Mart, for some reason it's always a freaking traffic jam in front of the store, so I always pull into the first aisle and drive up a bit to park there, and walk. Good for the exercise, anyway. Where I park, there's usually not that many cars because everyone crams into the spots closer to the store. Several times I've nearly been plastered by someone just barrelling across the parking lot aisles looking for a spot. One time I nearly got plastered by someone who drove through the parked cars, and didn't even stop to look if someone was driving up the aisle. It's like they forget all the rules of the road when they drive into a parking lot.
                    I do the same thing. I also park farther out so I can pull across because I refuse to try to back out of a parking space in that lot. Driving straight out of your space gets pretty dicey sometimes. I was over there fairly early on Sat morning trying to avoid the Labor Day madness and there was still rampant stupidity in the parking lot.

And a screaming child....at 8:45 am.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                      I drive through parking lots, but I'm also EXTREMELY cautious. Usually i'm cruising at 3mph with my foot over the break.
                      Yep, this is me. And I usually stop when I come to the part where people would be driving up and down. I treat it like a stop street (unless the lot is so empty I can see clearly)

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        I do the same thing. I also park farther out so I can pull across because I refuse to try to back out of a parking space in that lot. Driving straight out of your space gets pretty dicey sometimes. I was over there fairly early on Sat morning trying to avoid the Labor Day madness and there was still rampant stupidity in the parking lot.

And a screaming child....at 8:45 am.
                        I do the same thing, but on Black Friday, if I'm not working, I avoid shopping centers and malls on that day. I decided it was a good idea after the police were called to break up a fight over parking spaces in front of the Sears on that day a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X