This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i may be going crazy?

but the past 2 nights while driving ive been behind two different cars and their brake lights stayed on.

i swear. like you know how most cars have the break light in the rear window, that only lights up when you break? well these 2 cars had it on the whole time, and there was no differentiation between regular tail light and break light. seriously, wtf...

is this even possible?

Quoth sarasquirrel View Post
    but the past 2 nights while driving ive been behind two different cars and their brake lights stayed on.

i swear. like you know how most cars have the break light in the rear window, that only lights up when you break? well these 2 cars had it on the whole time, and there was no differentiation between regular tail light and break light. seriously, wtf...

is this even possible?
    Two possibilities
    -- Left foot brakers who left their foot on the pedal.
    -- Incorrectly installed brake bulb.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Two more possibilities;
      -- Dodgy wiring (Seen a car that had the brake lights on constantly, but flickered every now and then.)
      -- Brake pedal not released fully (some new Volvo's do this, doesn't let off the last couple of milimetres, but would come off with a small bump or next time brake is used)

It's most likely the incorrect brake bulb install as "It's me" said. I've managed to get one in backwards on my bro's car, so ended up with the brake lights on instead of the low-lights that come on when you have your headlights on. (brake bulbs usually have two filaments in, the bright ones for brakes and the other which comes on when you turn your lights on.)

On a side note, with a dual filament bulb, one filament can go which is why sometimes your brake light goes, but the low-light still comes on from the same bulb. Also some cars may have separate bulbs for braking and just being on for turning on headlights. (Dual-filaments are more common though, at least over here)

Well enough of my waffling. ^_^
      Last edited by alcaholjunkie; 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

well i figured if anything the brake pedal was maybe stuck. i didnt think of wiring's though.

no matter what though its annoying haha

Comment

Quoth sarasquirrel View Post

is this even possible?
          If old people were driving, I've heard that is the way they were taught to drive back when automatic transmissions first came out (1950s, 1940s, earlier?). Since the left foot wasn't being used for the clutch, some wingnut figured they would be able to stop quicker if the left foot was kept on the brake pedal. This results in the brake pedal being pushed enough to keep the brake lights on. It also results in the brakes wearing out faster.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
          X