This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle me this, Batman...

This was related to me by a friend/co-worker at lunch today.

You know how when the construction crews close a lane on a highway to work on it, they put up either cones or barrels edging over until the lane is blocked? Right after the cones/barrels is a big metal lighted arrow sign on a trailer?

With me so far?

Any guesses how fast someone would have to be going to hit one of the arrow signs and send it across 5 lanes of traffic into another car?

Apparently the aftermath of exactly that is what made him late for lunch today...
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Son of a bitch, the driver must have killed himself going at that speed!
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

The current guess is about 70mph. I didn't see the accident (neither did my friend. he only got the aftermath), and there's been no news report for it. I would think a fatal accident would get some coverage....
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Depends on the size of the vehicle. Inertia-speed relationship and all that. Full-size SUV? 60 at most, maybe as low as 40. (Believe me though, hitting something that big, you won't be feeling right in the morning.) Smart Fortwo? in excess of 180 -- I don't think a Fortwo can actually go that fast.
        Last edited by roothorick; 09-25-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Wow. I have no words for how strong the stupid was with that one!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

If this is the type of sign you're talking about, I don't believe they are very heavy. Probably less than a ton I would believe.

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
              If this is the type of sign you're talking about, I don't believe they are very heavy. Probably less than a ton I would believe.
              About right, but you're missing a bit more trailer (kind of like this one, but with the arrow sign), plus the built in generator.

Comment

holy crapping angels!
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                X