This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's A Reason I Pay Attention...

I nearly didn't make it to work this afternoon. Why? Well, I was at the four way stop connecting the east-west blacktop that goes into the town I live in, to the north-south state highway leading the town I work in, and an...interesting...incident happened. I was waiting for southbound traffic to clear, to that I could make the left turn to head south. Across the highway, a white car approached the right-turn lane, also to head south. I started to pull out, and genius in the white car pulls out at the SAME DAMN TIME! They hesitated for all of a moment, then whipped out in front of me. It's a damn good thing I wasn't going any faster than I was, or I'd have hit them! As my thread title says, there's a reason I pay attention to my surroundings when I'm driving, and idiots like that are it. Had they never heard of right-of-way? They obviously saw me, since they stopped partially on the state highway before they whipped out in front of me. Why? It didn't save them much! They ended up going below the speed limit, I believe talking on a cell phone, the entire drive! There are just some people out there that shouldn't have drivers licenses!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
    I nearly didn't make it to work this afternoon. Why? Well, I was at the four way stop connecting the east-west blacktop that goes into the town I live in, to the north-south state highway leading the town I work in, and an...interesting...incident happened. I was waiting for southbound traffic to clear, to that I could make the left turn to head south. Across the highway, a white car approached the right-turn lane, also to head south. I started to pull out, and genius in the white car pulls out at the SAME DAMN TIME! They hesitated for all of a moment, then whipped out in front of me. It's a damn good thing I wasn't going any faster than I was, or I'd have hit them! As my thread title says, there's a reason I pay attention to my surroundings when I'm driving, and idiots like that are it. Had they never heard of right-of-way? They obviously saw me, since they stopped partially on the state highway before they whipped out in front of me. Why? It didn't save them much! They ended up going below the speed limit, I believe talking on a cell phone, the entire drive! There are just some people out there that shouldn't have drivers licenses!
    I have cars do this to me all the time at STOP LIGHTS when I have the "LEFT TURN ONLY" arrow in my direction only. Almost makes me think they should have some indicator for the opposing forces.
    There Can Be Only One

Comment

I always hesitate at four way stops and other areas. Too many people are unable to see a red octagon that says STOP, or they think they can just squeak by and nothing will happen.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
        I have cars do this to me all the time at STOP LIGHTS when I have the "LEFT TURN ONLY" arrow in my direction only. Almost makes me think they should have some indicator for the opposing forces.
        They do have an idicator. It's called a "red light." Even if there was a flashing neon sign saying the opposite turn lane had the right-of-way, they would still ignore it.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
          ... I believe talking on a cell phone, the entire drive! ...
          Well, THERE's your problem!
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Let me see if I have all of this straight.

You were at a 4-way stop facing west, waiting to make a left turn.

There was a car that was heading south that was in the intersection while you were waiting.

Another car came to the intersection heading east-bound with the intention of turning right to also head south.

If all of the above is correct, and the car that was turning right reached the stop before the car heading south cleared the intersection, then they would have had the right of way, wouldn't they?

Of course, if they hadn't reached the stop prior to the south-bound car clearing the intersection, and you had already started moving before they had stopped, then they're just a self-absorbed douchebag.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andara--I was there first. They were just self-absorbed douchebags and should've waited their turn. Had I been going even a bit faster, I would've hit them at an angle. I just paid my car off, and I don't appreciate people trying to destroy it, either way!
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
                But it's thier God given right to turn right on red. Didn't you know? I hate this one too though. Especially if they don't do what they are supposed to do and meander into the left lane.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                  But it's thier God given right to turn right on red. Didn't you know? I hate this one too though. Especially if they don't do what they are supposed to do and meander into the left lane.
                  That's especially the case if there's a "No Right Turn on Red" sign, they think that doesn't apply to them. They honk if someone dares to follow that sign, as they're inconveniencing them. One intersection with those signs is a block away from a sheriff's station, so someone like that is at a greater risk of getting a ticket.

Comment

Working...
                  X