This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm pretty sure I ended up behind a drunk driver last night

Driving home from the mall, I wound up behind a red minivan that was bobbing and weaving all over the road. Into the gravel on the shoulder one moment, and half in the other lane the next.

Oh, but not to worry: To compensate for the lack of vehicular control, the driver went no faster than 50 on a 55 mph road, and on a couple occasions the van's speed dipped below 45.

And I had no choice but to stay behind him. I don't pass other vehicles on two-lane roads and this guy was all over the place to begin with.

Fortunately, not long before I got into town the van turned off on a different road.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I would have called the police and given them the plate number. That's very dangerous.

There have been times on my paper route where I see an obvious drunk driver. I've pulled over and waited for them to leave the area before delivering to that block. I prefer not to be on the same road as impaired drivers.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I would bet they were texting!! I actually came up on a girl in the left lane on the highway - doing 45 to 50 in a 65 - with her cell phone in the middle of her steering wheel - completely oblivious to anything going on around her. Grrrrrrrr
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann
      RIP Plaidman - you are loved & greatly missed.

Comment

Must've been a lot of texting then.

I didn't call the police because I wasn't 100% sure they were drunk, and because I make a point of not using my cell phone while driving.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've called the police plenty of times on suspected drunk drivers. Even if they aren't drunk, contact needs to be made by police with them as they may have a medical problem. Better safe than sorry, and that's one of the few times I'll use my cell phone while driving. Usually I just use the ham radio.

Comment

/offtopic

Did you know that driving tired can be more dangerous then driving drunk?

/offtopic

That being said, yes..I will call and report somebody if they appear drunk while driving. Now I just wish I could some of the people who talk (or text) on a phone with one hand while eating something with the other. *shudders*
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Even if they're not drunk, swerving around like that is dangerous driving. A police officer would certainly treat it as reasonable cause to pull them over, and it's definitely worth calling them so they can do it before they swerve *into* someone.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                I didn't call the police because I wasn't 100% sure they were drunk, and because I make a point of not using my cell phone while driving.
                Who cares why it's happening. They're a menace to everybody else on the road. I've called the cops on people like that more than once, and shall continue to do so.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I miss my free subscription I had to OnStar when I got my car.

One day this past July, I had to do overtime on a Saturday morning and left at noon.

I was on the second highway that I have to take to get home, and I was behind this smallish car that was all over the road, one minute on the fart strips (rumble strips), the next straddling the next lane. For several miles.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    /offtopic

Did you know that driving tired can be more dangerous then driving drunk?

/offtopic

That being said, yes..I will call and report somebody if they appear drunk while driving. Now I just wish I could some of the people who talk (or text) on a phone with one hand while eating something with the other. *shudders*
                    Yes, and if you're too tired to drive you should always stop and rest.

That being said . . . a good trick to keep yourself alert when driving is to chew something. You can't fall asleep if you are ACTIVELY chewing. Gum works.

Whenever I make the 5-6 hour drive to Mom's, I always buy a: 16 oz orange soda, a big bag of gummy worms, and a bag of salted sunflower seeds.

The work I have to do to chew on the worms or the seeds keeps me alert. Never fails.

As for potential drunks: I never hesitate to call the cops if I think I see a drunk on the road. 911 is easy to dial, put on speaker, and viola.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've called to report suspected drunk drivers, and those who were dangerous by driving excessive speeds and going in and out of lanes, nearly hitting me and several other vehicles. Those freeway signs even have a message regularly to report drunk drivers by calling 911. I've been the passenger in those cases, but I would put 911 on speaker phone if I felt the need to make that call myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X