This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green, it means GO

Is it just the area I live in, or is the phenomenon of stopping and/or staying stopped at a green light catching on in other places? People just sit there and idle with the foot on the brake before finally realizing 'oh! time to go!', and then they'll let off the brake and crawl under the light as if they're afraid something's gonna jump out and get them. It's especially bad when I go into the Gainesville area; you can literally sit still through several green lights and only move several feet.

WHY?
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

It happens here too. They won't move for green lights, and they run the red ones.
    Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

We have 'em too. They sit at the light long after the green and then sloooooooooooooowly get up to the speed limit.... and then when then get near the next iight they start slowing down waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back so that when they get to the light and it after it urns orange they can drift right through as it turns red......
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Around here it's;

inch forward while the light is red until you're almost blocking the intersection like you're in a hurry and then sit there when it turns green until someone honks their horn at you.

Comment

This is another group of people that I have a special degree of ire for. The light timing seemed to have been a failed grad student project around here and if you miss the green you can wait a long time. And when there is a green, its pretty short and there is always someone dillying. But I think my favorite is the person that slows down as the light is green forcing me to slow down and then speed up when it turns yellow, forcing me to stop.

Comment

I always take a second to look before I go through the green; just a second, because it's saved my butt several times when someone ran a red. Even so, I'm usually first out of the gate and see the herd behind me slowly catching up. Which I don't get, I'm not rabbiting, just slowly gaining speed.

Now I'M wondering what's up! Curse you!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

By any chance do you have red light cameras in your area? I notice people tend to react that way to camera-watched intersections.
              DJ Particle

Comment

In the metro area they probably have cameras, but in the country where I live I don't think we have them yet. People just dilly around at the green light on an open highway, with no one coming in either direction. I get taking that extra second to look just to make sure there's no maniac running the red light opposite, but after that, go. I don't do jackrabbit starts or anything, but I can never figure out why I leave the other lanes behind me, creeping along.
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I got in the habit in South FL to wait a few seconds after the light turned green because so many people run the yellow/red down there. It can be upwards of 2-3 cars.
                  Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                    Around here it's;

inch forward while the light is red until you're almost blocking the intersection like you're in a hurry and then sit there when it turns green until someone honks their horn at you.
                    That's because by that time they are under the light and can't see it change colors...

Comment

Oh gawd yes we have this around here! I like to joke that those people OBVIOUSLY aren't race fans, or racers. Green means get your foot on the gas and GO! Don't make me push you! My car is too pretty to be used that way! GO!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Must be a regional thing. Around here, if you're not moving by a half second after the light changes, everyone behind you will honk at you. I personally wait at least two seconds, sometimes three, before tapping the horn (and I don't lean on it, thank you very much).

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                          Around here it's;

We got some of their relatives down here, too. I've found that it's usually because their either yakking on a cell phone or texting.

Quoth laborcat View Post
                          That's because by that time they are under the light and can't see it change colors...
                          But the light is on the other side of the intersection.
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                            Must be a regional thing. Around here, if you're not moving by a half second after the light changes, everyone behind you will honk at you. I personally wait at least two seconds, sometimes three, before tapping the horn (and I don't lean on it, thank you very much).
                            I usually wait about that long too. If they haven't moved in the time that it takes me to think, "Hey, the light's green, you should go," and slowly move my hand down to the horn, then they get honked at. But I've been on the receiving end of people honking at me for not going the split second it turns, or not going when I have a stop sign and I can see traffic coming but they can't.

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            But the light is on the other side of the intersection.
                            Depends on the intersection, here. Most have the light hanging over the intersection, so the inchers end up under the light and can't see it. One intersection near my house, though, has a second light on a post across the intersection, but only for one direction for some reason, so there they have no excuse (and still do it).
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                              Depends on the intersection, here. Most have the light hanging over the intersection, so the inchers end up under the light and can't see it. One intersection near my house, though, has a second light on a post across the intersection, but only for one direction for some reason, so there they have no excuse (and still do it).
                              Ah, see ours here are all on posts on the other side of the intersection.

I would say that 99% of the time that I've had to beep (my horn honestly sounds like the roadrunner, which is appropriate for here I guess) at people, their heads are turned everywhere except where they should be lookin'.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X