This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
    Here in California, it's the law that bicycles MUST obey the same laws as other vehicular traffic, PLUS those specific to bicycles.
    Same here, but I never see it actually being enforced (once in a great while one of our awesome metermaids will "pull over" a cyclist who's being an ass, but in general I don't see any real policing). There was something on the table to make bicycles have license plates so they could be accurately reported for stupid stunts, but I don't know what happened with that other than it hasn't happened.

Now that the weather's getting nicer, those damn Razor scooters are back. I almost got pushed into the subway track pit by some kid screwing around on the (crowded) platform.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-05-2011, 03:45 AM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      Now that the weather's getting nicer, those damn Razor scooters are back. I almost got pushed into the subway track pit by some kid screwing around on the (crowded) platform.

Bring a small piece of wood with you. If I remember right, those small wheels cant run over it

If they behave, no problem, if not......

Comment

I used to carry a stick around until I got whined at by mom for it being "childish". Maybe I should start again; nobody has to know I don't really need a walking stick.

Comment

There was something on the table to make bicycles have license plates so they could be accurately reported for stupid stunts, but I don't know what happened with that other than it hasn't happened.
          And it won't.

Many states have proposed this idea many times(and they all think it's a great idea why hasn't anyone thought of this before, we're geniuses etc.), no state does it, or will ever implement it for four reasons:

1-cost
          Any bicycle registration program costs almost 2-3 times as much to operate as it brings in in revenue(my city it's 2x as much and they charge $10). Plus a lot of the people that ride bikes do so because they can't afford the expense of a car, so raising the price to cover operating costs would be discrimination against the poor.

2-where do you put a plate on a bicycle?

On the seat-um that on one of my bikes would cover up the reflector/taillight required by law, and on my commuter would be covered by my panniers/trunk bag-the tail light is attached to either my rack or my bag.

3-Safety
          the smallest you could make it and still have it visible from a distance would be the size of a motorcycle plate-which would be an issue for the rider(my seat is only 3 inches across, it would cause wind resistance, which can easily be a safety issue, plus if it was wider than my seat it could injure me if I scoot back on my seat for leverage). Small enough to not be an issue it would be unreadable, and drivers trying to get the plate number of the "bike that just ran a red light"(which is legal for bikes in some areas-my state is one of them) could cause a major accident.

4-enforcement
          if current laws are not being enforced, what's the point of adding more to not be enforced-so people can complain about some cyclists not obeying another law?
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

The only way I can logically see "license plates" on a bike would be by like RFID tags or something similar, like the toll-bridge passes you can get for cars now. Even so, the cost of implementation would be insanely high. I don't think there's a reasonable solution right now for the issue of keeping an eye on bike riders.

Comment

I've seen physical license plates on bicycles (now I can't recall where) that were legible and not obstructed by/obstructing anything.

Comment

I've seen physical license plates on bicycles (now I can't recall where) that were legible and not obstructed by/obstructing anything.
                Like this-which on my bikes would obstruct the required by law reflector(which is on the seatpost, as it is on 99% of bikes), and be obstructed by my panniers/trunk bag, as I said before-also I have a racing saddle, not a honking behemoth "comfort saddle"* like this 3 speed "crusier" does(cruisers are generally not used for anything over a couple miles). I've also seen the "fender" ones and none of my bikes have fenders, only crusiers have fenders. AKA hipster bikes, and hipsters by their very nature do not obey any traffic laws while cycling(I seriously believe they try to break as many as possible per ride to "stick it to the man")

*if you think you need a Comfort saddle, you are riding incorrectly. Bike saddle=/=easy chair(hint your weight should be more evenly distributed between your feet and hands, you should not have enough weight on your butt for it to be uncomfortable.)
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                  *if you think you need a Comfort saddle, you are riding incorrectly. Bike saddle=/=easy chair(hint your weight should be more evenly distributed between your feet and hands, you should not have enough weight on your butt for it to be uncomfortable.)
                  Actually, I do not ride to race or cover long distances. I ride because I live in a small town & would like to go to places nearby without paying petrol or parking fees.

The arches on my feet are collapsing & I'm very, very short (4' 10.5", most of the lack being in leg length - yes, my bike is one for ages 8-12) so walking anywhere takes me a very long time. Combine that with an excessive bust & a bad back (I could get signed off when it's flaring if I wanted to) & riding hunched over 'properly' is absolute hell.

I am happy with my comfort saddle & 'sit up & beg' bike, with the shopping divided between my backpack & the basket. People use bikes for more than one reason, so please be more careful when you're generalising about whether someone is riding 'properly'.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    Actually, I do not ride to race or cover long distances. <snip> People use bikes for more than one reason, so please be more careful when you're generalising about whether someone is riding 'properly'.
                    I believe I did address that...yup I did

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    like this 3 speed "crusier" does(cruisers are generally not used for anything over a couple miles).
                    and just for the record I have flat feet and scoliosis(15 degree curvature of the spine), also I tore out the PCL in my left knee years ago-arches or lack thereof on feet really shouldn't be an issue-as only the "balls" of your feet should be in contact with the pedal.

Comment

Can we cease with the sniping at each other and get back on topic, please?

If you have a problem with something someone has said, it's NOT okay to butt heads in the thread. That's what the report button is for.

Thanks.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                      X