X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm, red light means stop?

I've seen this before a few times, but decided to post today lol

So today on my way home from work, I'm sitting at a red light on a 4 lane road (two and two). the other direction gets a green first for the left turn arrow and everyone clears. Im still waiting for my light to change, as is the person to my right. Well...they just go. Light was still red, and its not like it turned green right after she went either. Like, you couldnt wait 30 more seconds? Just because there isnt anyone in the intersection, doesnt mean you can go. Its RED. I just shook my head and went on.

I do the heading shaking on a daily basis around here. More and more people are running red lights around here. I have taken to waiting at least a few moments before I move because I like my car and me not smashed up.

Also who ever thought blinking yellow turn lane lights were a good idea should be drug out into the street and beaten.
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I'm assuming this person was going straight. As far as I know, right turn on red is legal (unless the intersection is otherwise marked). Perhaps it's not smart, but it is legal...As far as I know...Correct me if I'm wrong!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
        As far as I know, right turn on red is legal (unless the intersection is otherwise marked). Perhaps it's not smart, but it is legal...As far as I know...Correct me if I'm wrong!
        Here, it's legal, as long as there's no "No Turn on Red" sign is posted. Otherwise, you're allowed to turn right on red...provided you come to a full stop before. If you don't stop, you can be cited for running the light. Also, many people do not look to see if traffic is clear...and will pull out, and get nailed by an oncoming vehicle.

Some places, you're allowed to turn *left* on right as well. One place I can think of, is in Oakland, on the side streets that cross Fifth Avenue. In that area, some of the cross streets (and Fifth itself) are one-way. However, if you pull out to turn left without looking, you're an idiot. City buses approach from the *left.* Do you really want to see what a bus can do to a car?
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

i should clarify she was going straight.

right on red is legal, unless otherwise marked, but that doesnt stop anyone either.

also, crosswalks. cant tell ya how many people run those while they are in use. actually saw one today..

Comment

it depends on the state; in most places in washington, right on red is legal if its clear; oregon, right on red is a ticket if they catch you and in california, right on red is legal if you're fast enough to beat the cars coming your way.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Going straight on a red light: Stupid and possibly deadly. Stopping, looking both ways, then turning right on red: Legal. That's how it is around here. Thanks for the clarification!
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

The only time a right turn on a red light is illegal is when there's a sign saying "No Right Turn on Red" and even then, that doesn't stop some people from turning, or more likely, honking at those of us who don't want a ticket.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                  it depends on the state; in most places in washington, right on red is legal if its clear; oregon, right on red is a ticket if they catch you and in california, right on red is legal if you're fast enough to beat the cars coming your way.
                  Um NO. Oregon right on red is legal.

And little used is the stop light can be treated as a stop sign if traffic is clear. I only do it between 3 and 5 am and haven't needed to for years. Most people are unclear on the actual rule for it and I am getting fuzzy memory myself.
                  GFY

Comment

Unless they've changed the law, in Ohio you can do a left on red only if both the road you are on, and the one you are turning onto are one-way roadways. Right on red is allowed under the conditions above (stop-look-go if clear).
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth sarasquirrel View Post
                      also, crosswalks. cant tell ya how many people run those while they are in use. actually saw one today..
                      If I had a nickel for every time someone's tried to kill me while I was in the crosswalk, I could quit working for a living.

It's so bad where I work, that I've been thinking about keeping some ping-pong balls in my purse. Bounce one of those off a car that's thisclose to hitting me, and give the driver a heart attack, like he's trying to give me one. Fair's fair . . .

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                        It's so bad where I work, that I've been thinking about keeping some ping-pong balls in my purse. Bounce one of those off a car that's thisclose to hitting me, and give the driver a heart attack, like he's trying to give me one. Fair's fair . . .
                        I like this idea. Harmless, so it doesn't violate the CS TOS, and it won't hurt anyone - but it may give some drivers an idea of what the hell they're doing.
                        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
                        X