X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubs pwned a honker

Posting this on behalf of Hubs.

He had just gotten off the interstate, and was at a red light waiting for traffic to clear to turn right, when the car behind him starts honking. This is one of Hubs' greatest pet peeves. So, since he's not legally obligated to turn right on red, he proceeded to sit and wait for the light to actually turn green, just to piss off the impatient honker.

Mr. Impatient proceeded to tail Hubs. They turned onto a road where the lanes are divided by a wide median. Since there were no other cars, and Mr. Impatient was being a tailgating douche, Hubs proceeded to crawl along the 35mph road at a mere 20mph. Because of the median, Mr. Impatient could not pass, and had to wait until Hubs turned off (at which point the road drops down to 25mph, so you have to slow down anyways).

Yeah, don't piss my husband off on the roads, because he has the luxury of time and will not hesitate to fuck with you.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. In those states where right-turn-on-red is allowed, and if you are turning right and traffic is clear, you ARE obligated to turn, or you are blocking a lane of traffic. So the person behind him was (sort of) right to honk at him. And as to the "going 20 in a 35 zone", well, that's a maybe also - depends on what the (usually unposted) minimum speed limit is. If it's 25, then he was also violating the "safe speed law" and also was "obstructing traffic."

It may have felt good to him to do it, but it may be that hubs is on shaky legal ground. Sorry to play devil's advocate on you.
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Oh, no worries. If I was in the car with Hubs, I'd be bitching him out. Whether what he did was legal or not, though, I'm sure it pissed off the guy behind him, and that's all he was going for.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I read your title as "hooker"... Which would have not really fit this section...

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
          It may have felt good to him to do it, but it may be that hubs is on shaky legal ground.

Mr. Impatient was being a tailgating douche

when the car behind him starts honking.
          um last I checked tailgating is illegal in all states, and using your horn except to prevent an accident is illegal in numerous states-two wrongs don't make a right but her hubs was not the only lawbreaker.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
            I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. In those states where right-turn-on-red is allowed, and if you are turning right and traffic is clear, you ARE obligated to turn, or you are blocking a lane of traffic. So the person behind him was (sort of) right to honk at him. And as to the "going 20 in a 35 zone", well, that's a maybe also - depends on what the (usually unposted) minimum speed limit is. If it's 25, then he was also violating the "safe speed law" and also was "obstructing traffic."

It may have felt good to him to do it, but it may be that hubs is on shaky legal ground. Sorry to play devil's advocate on you.
            Most of the laws say right on red is permitted after a full stop and traffic is clear. No you are NOT obligated to turn right on red. I won't say anymore so we don't hit fratching territory if I haven't already.

Comment

Wikipedia has a nice article about right turn on red all around the world. I didn't read the whole article, but the section on the US descirbes the national standard, and local deviations therefrom.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                Most of the laws say right on red is permitted after a full stop and traffic is clear. No you are NOT obligated to turn right on red.
                Yep, here in PA you don't *have* to turn right on red if you don't want to, even if it's permitted by there not being a sign. But, if traffic is clear and you're not going anywhere, not turning is just being annoying Also, in residential areas, there's no minimum speed limit, so you can't be busted for doing 20 in a 25mph (or 35 or whatever) zone. The only minimum speed we have here, is 45mph on the limited-access highways. But, many people will slow down if they're being tailgated. They feel if you're in that big of a hurry, you should have left earlier.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I will slow to the speed limit when tailgated. And just why, exactly, do I get tailgated when I'm speeding?
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Mom used to mess with tailgaters, but recently there have been some newsworthy incidents of overblown road rage (one poor guy was followed and stabbed by some gangbangers after dropping off a friend; something started at a red light).

While dad will still mess with obnoxious jerks on occasion (one tailgater got so angry he failed to notice the cop car next to us), he's very careful as there's a tale that some percentage of all drivers in his state have CCW permits and weapons in the car. Not sure how true that is, but we both figure why take chances.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                    X