This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 way stops

so with the storm last week, lots of traffic lights were out, and were supposed to be treated at 3 way or 4 way stops, what have you.

there is this one particular one i have to drive through everyday. its a big and busy intersection. and every.damn.day i would sit there in line and watch people completely forget how to act at a 4 way. theres like 4 cars in the middle and no one knows whose turn it is, and other people are sneaking up behind and tagging along with other cars. im surprised that intersection didnt have like a major pileup.

thank goodness its now functional. but there are still other, smaller intersections that are still not working and people just blow right through them.

ct drivers suck.

There's two 4-way stops that I go through regularly that have always been 4-ways. Nobody knows how to work them.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

They don't know here, either. And roundabouts are a risk to one's life.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

When the stop light at the intersection our store is located at looses power it's crazy. The main road in this town intersects 2 smaller roads and no one, it seems, on the main road wants to stop. I have to cross the street to catch the bus home and I crossed when the people going north stopped for me but then someone going south blow by me as I was getting ready to cross the middle line. I was pissed and everyone was like
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

They're doing construction on a major road here (started at the beginning of summer) and thus the lights are a 4-way stop.

I don't understand why people that are scared to drive even bother going through there; just take a detour!

I've sat behind cars that would just sit there and watch cars go like they're waiting for some magic sign that says "You can go now, your highness!". One set of cars pass, fine, you weren't paying attention to the flow. Second set, I'm getting annoyed and my hand is one the horn. Third set? Really? You're getting honked. You're giving me the finger? Gee, thanks, how thoughtful, MOVE!

I'd offer to say your situation was due to bad weather = drivers become idiots, but sadly, they're just idiots.

Comment

4 way stops....meh, several by where I live here. Maybe one out of every five people understands them.

No, it's not a yield sign.

No, you cannot just follow the person in front of you through the stop sign.

If you didn't get there before me, you better not go before me.

I generally anticipate nothing but the worst from others, so I can usually see someone trying to slide through without stopping or is just romping to go and not wait for my turn first.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My house is at the end of a long road about two miles from the main road. So I turn left off the highway onto that road, and follow it to the other end, where my house is.

Along its two mile length, there are several intersections. Half of these are four way stops. Half only have stop signs for the crossroads, and not the road I'm on.

I cannot TELL you how many times I have been passing one of these crossroads only to have some asshat pull forward from a stop sign and nearly cream me...and then start shouting and cussing at me for not stopping to let them go.

I DO NOT HAVE A STOP SIGN! Pay attention for cripe's sake!

At the very end of this road I have to take a left to reach my driveway. This is another four way (rather, three way stop since it's a T intersection) and just yesterday as I reached it, I stopped as usual.

I saw a woman approaching from the right and start to slow down, so I take my foot off the brake to proceed and start rolling forward a little (I don't hit the gas because I don't trust anyone around here to do what I expect them to do).

Sure enough, she only slows down, rolls right through the stop sign, and takes a left turn onto the road I'm on. As she's directly in front of me she gives me this sheepish little wave like 'yeah, oops, aren't I silly?'

Yeah, you're lucky is what you are. Lucky I DIDN'T hit the gas and T-bone you.
              My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Funny enough, when we had a large-scale power outage everyone did a better job of dealing with the traffic lights being out than they do when the power's on. Even the Linden & Woodman intersection, where I see people hanging out in the intersection after the light change almost daily, ran cleanly.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

We have a local intersection to my work that is insane on most days.

Strangely, when the signal is out and it turns into a 4-way stop, people behave much better than when it's working. Baffling.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    There's two 4-way stops that I go through regularly that have always been 4-ways. Nobody knows how to work them.
                    Quoth blas View Post
                    If you didn't get there before me, you better not go before me.
                    Ugh, this. There's a 4-way stop right by our apartment complex that occasionally has this problem. Just today, we reached the stop signs right at the same time as a driver to our left on the cross street. We both stopped at the same time, so the person to the right (us) goes first, yes? Except that as we started through the intersection, so did the other driver.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

That rule about the person on the right going first? I observe it when I'm on the left with someone on my right, but I never, ever, ever assume that someone on my left is going to know it and let me through first.

Comment

CT drivers do, indeed, suck. I took to giving myself twice as long to get anywhere, just because of the lights being out.
                        EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
                        ~-~
                        Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

The bus route that goes past the front of the apartment complex I live in has several drivers who are regulars on the night shift for the route. Every last one of them has a lead foot and no clue that unpowered traffic lights are stop signs. They apparently believe that if the traffic light is out, it means they don't have to stop.

I've filed complaints on these guys before, but it never does any good. When the power is out, it's almost impossible to catch a bus, since they're going WAY too fast to see someone waiting at a bus stop, and they typically blast through intersections at twice the speed limit, minimum.

Comment

it's not just your state. when i was in Virginia Beach no one obeyed that law either. and to be honest... at that point I don't know if anyone could obey it - i mean not without getting rear-ended.

here down in the south i've seen it in action however. although not often as... i've only seen a street light out once. but everyone obeyed the rules so there was no problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X