This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedestrian crossing

So, I frequently walk to work. This requires me to cross [main street], where they just installed a sign that says "Traffic Turning Left Must Yield to Pedestrians" because no one pays attention there. That's all just generic cars trying to run me down. It happens almost daily, and I expect it. (I warn guests at the motel about that crossing, and we've had guests and employees get into accidents there on multiple occasions. )

No, today I'm going to refer to a couple instances further up. You see, I also cross a driveway that goes into a pretty popular shopping center.

The creeper

So, as I'm starting to cross, an oncoming van wants to turn left into the driveway. They begin to turn, but see me and stop. At this point they're still in their turn lane. They're on the line, but they're in their turn lane.

As I stroll along, they start to creep closer and closer, taking up the traffic lane for their oncoming traffic. I find this interesting, because I swear I can hear a car coming up behind me. Just when I cross enough for them to squeeze by, the van guns it. Sure enough, I hear another car behind me accelerate, the car that had been blocked by the van blocking their lane. All because the van was too impatient to wait a few extra seconds for me and the car to pass.

No, that's not why they're stopped

I start crossing the driveway, when a car wanting to turn in there comes up from behind me. They signal their intent, and stop to let me cross. You know, like they're supposed to.

Cue a car coming the other direction, wanting to turn into the driveway. They don't see me, just the car that has right-of-way stopped with its turn signal on, and somewhere in their mind that translates to awww, they stopped just to let me, the speshul snowflake, turn first! So they wave at the car, start to turn...and I dodge out of the way! They gave me the little "oops" wave as they squeezed by.

Really?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The little "oops" wave deserves a grenade.

Comment

Aaaand that's when I stop and stare at them until they stop the car.

Seriously. People drive like maniacs and it's amazing that we don't hear about more accidents from incidents like yours; pure luck and good reflexes!

But on the flip side, there's the pedestrians that don't know where the hell they're going, and you're constantly trying to guess what they're going to do while your driving. I go nuts in parking lots trying to anticipate the moves of 20+ people! And of course, nothing you do is right. You stop, they wave to go, you go, another person yells at you to stop, you turn to give someone room, they keep walking towards you...etc.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
        The motorcyclists call that a SMIDSY (short for Sorry Mate I Didn't See You).

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
          I prefer a good, solid thumping with a closed fist on the side of the car. Makes a hell of a sound inside the car itself.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            I prefer a good, solid thumping with a closed fist on the side of the car. Makes a hell of a sound inside the car itself.
            If on a motorcycle: I have a mini train horn, if on foot.. I agree completely lol.
            Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
            pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Working...
            X