This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No way.... I really did....

See someone riding their bicycle on the freeway. Guy was about 50 years old and in the FAR LEFT lane, so that would put him 5 lanes away from any off ramp. I called DPS (Department of Public Safety) whom was sending officers to check it out.. Death wish much?
    Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
    pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Here in our county at least, I know you can legally ride your bicycle along the interstate shoulder, except in [our city's] limits. I don't know about the far left side when the ramps are on the right, though...that's just insane.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Its actually legal in Arizona, necessary in some places do to the lack of roads, and if you look you'll occasionally see signs saying bicycles must exit here (107th Ave exit on eastbound I-10 comes to mind, though with the recent construction that might've changed). That said though, they're required to ride in the right shoulder.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

True there are some bike accessible freeways, (107th I take you might live out near me heh) and they are all marked tho the Loops 101,202,303 and SR51 are all marked for NO bikes due to their nature of just being connecting freeways. Guess I could have stated he was on the 101 Agua Fria south bound side for clarification to those zonies.
        Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
        pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Interesting how it varies. Around here (western upstate NY), there are signs at the highway entrances announcing that pedestrians, bicycles, and horses are prohibited on the highway.

Hasn't stopped me from spotting at least one pedestrian in the past two weeks, however. :sigh:
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Typically they are prohibited, but if you look at a map of AZ, you can see why they're allowed in some areas. Just picture going to say Prescott from Phoenix. There's not many roads that go there.

As to 107th Ave, nope, i deliver newpapers and magazines, and am the distribution manager for one book, so i get around. That sign is actually out of date, five years ago, the freeway probably would've been your only way to get out to Buckeye except maybe the MC 85 a few miles south, so it made sense, but now, its fairly easy to get out there without using the freeways, and getting easier every year as the county grid gets filled in.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

First time I drove out to Colorado, years back, I was bemused to see signs on I-76 "Trucks Keep Left". Someone explained to me that in Colorado, a bicycle is legally a motor vehicle (!) and thus allowed on freeways, albeit on the right shoulder only. This being the case, they want large trucks as far from them as possible, so they keep to the left lane.

Comment

the far LEFT lane?

I mean I see from the replies here that "no bikes" is not universal in all states but... the far LEFT lane? The lane where people speed?

Comment

In theory, there could be some small motorcycles that are legal on interstates in Michigan but not Ohio, and others that are legal on interstates in Ohio but not Michigan. Why is that? Because one state (forget which) imposes a minimum displacement of 125 cc, and the other imposes a minimum power limit of 5 HP.

Would be interesting to see what happens to 130 cc 4.9 HP (or 120 cc 5.1 HP) bikes.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

In Arkansas, if it can't go faster than 45 mph, it has no business being on the freeway. In fact, the on ramps all have signs that clearly state: "No pedestrians, bicycles, or parades are permitted on this road."

That's fine. There's usually a major highway or two dozen that run in the same direction as the freeways, so we see long-haul cyclists working their way down them.

I just have to wonder who was silly enough to try to bring a parade onto the freeway....
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
                      See someone riding their bicycle on the freeway.
                      That's Old Pete Striittza.
                      Quoth raudf View Post
                      I just have to wonder who was silly enough to try to bring a parade onto the freeway....
                      Westboro BC? (hope hope hope)
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post

We did a big rally on I-90 for Girl Scouting's 90th anniversary several years ago. Of course, that was planned well in advance, and the DOT closed a portion of the floating bridges for us to use. (I was in the background in a photo that made the front page of the paper the next day...at least my backside was! )
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                          In Arkansas, if it can't go faster than 45 mph, it has no business being on the freeway.
                          In PA, the minimum speed limit on the highways is 45mph. For the most part, that keeps the bicycles, tractors, and anything else that takes 6 months to reach 55-65mph off the highways. But, not everything. Locally, there's one asshole who *insists* on riding his scooter on the parkway. That piece of shit can barely get out of its own way, and tops out at about 30mph. Every morning, I'd see people (myself included) hitting the horn and/or flipping him off. He basically causes a rolling bottleneck, which pisses people off. Get off the parkway, asshole!
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That's pretty much the rule here, but they make exceptions when the freeway is the only way to get to where you're going, which tends to happen out here since AZ is mostly made up of population clusters with very few roads connecting them.
                            Seph
                            Taur10

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              In PA, the minimum speed limit on the highways is 45mph. For the most part, that keeps the bicycles, tractors, and anything else that takes 6 months to reach 55-65mph off the highways. But, not everything. Locally, there's one asshole who *insists* on riding his scooter on the parkway. That piece of shit can barely get out of its own way, and tops out at about 30mph. Every morning, I'd see people (myself included) hitting the horn and/or flipping him off. He basically causes a rolling bottleneck, which pisses people off. Get off the parkway, asshole!
                              Not saying it doesn't happen in Little Rock.. out in my neck of the woods (butt-crack of nowhere), they'd be street pizza. I-30 is "we're barely paying attention to the speed limit as we blow past it." Even the state boys don't like pulling people over. They do it anyways, but they don't like it at all.

In LR, there use to be a radio traffic reporter who'd call those types "self correcting errors," because as he put it, "they'll either get off themselves or the cops will nab 'em."
                              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                              X