This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY!?!?!?!

We are supposed to have a little bit of a snowstorm today. In fact, it's already started. Large, wet, white flakes coming down. Lots of them. Visibility is reduced.

And you are driving a silver car, WITH YOUR LIGHTS OFF, because why?

Because you're brutally stupid?
    Because you got your drivers license out of a box of Froot Loops?
    Because you're so traumatized by the thought of your parents bumping uglies to produce your brutally stupid ass?
    Because you think it would be cool to drive an invisible car?

Thanks to this idiot, I nearly got in a accident on my way home from work that technically would've been my fault. I was making a right turn on a red light and the silver car in question had the green. Luckily I was able to see it in time and the snow hadn't yet started to stick to the roads.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Clearly he's trying to get his entry into the Darwin Awards.

People are idiots, Irv. Remember this.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Because you're so traumatized by the thought of your parents bumping uglies to produce your brutally stupid ass?
      First:
      Then:
      Finally:
      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Thank God for automatic headlights. Honestly, the auto makers did one thing majorly right. They helped the perpetually forgetful or plain stupid remember to put their lights on.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Ah, see, Irv around here the silver cars drive in the snow with their lights on.

It's the white cars that don't use their headlights here.

Last time it was snowing hard (near white out when the wind gusted) every vehicle I saw without headlights was either a white sedan or a white SUV.

Idiots.

Comment

Now come on. If they got their license out of a box of Froot Loops, they'd be better drivers.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              Thank God for automatic headlights. Honestly, the auto makers did one thing majorly right. They helped the perpetually forgetful or plain stupid remember to put their lights on.
              I'm just too lazy to turn mine one, and I'm afraid that I'll forget to turn them off when I get wherever I'm going.
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I think one trend that has led to quite a few people failing to turn on their lights on is electroluminescent dashboards. (I've seen them on Honda and Nissan, and I'm sure they are used elsewhere.) On a conventionally lit car, if you don't turn on your lights, you can't see the dash very well when lighting is poor. With many newer dashes, your instrument panel is lit brighter when the lights are off.

Whatever idiot decided to pair that up with no sensor lights (or at least Daytime Running Lights) should be shot.

Comment

And you are driving a silver car, WITH YOUR LIGHTS OFF, because why?
                  I saw a lot of morons doing that yesterday when I drove to work.

The rain was pretty bad - severe thunderstorms and I think we had more tornado warnings. Poor doggy had to do her morning toilet in the rain too.

On top of drivers not using headlights (seriously? Why don't you want to be visible??) there were others who thought they could drive 80mph on a 70 road despite the wind and the fierce downpours. The ones who didn't manage to skid off the road (I counted 3 cars stuck in the median on my way in) kept having to slam their brakes on when they realized the cars ahead weren't speeding.

I mean seriously... the flow of traffic was about 65-70... so trying to push 80 is dumb.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post

It's the white cars that don't use their headlights here.

Ditto for round here. I drive a small white car and I'm completely neurotic about putting my lights one, I tend to turn them on whenever I'm in the car (I'm used to Volvos with running lights anyway).

I was driving up the motorway on friday afternoon in a hire car, loads of spray with very little forward vision. Went to overtake two lorries which were trying to get passed each other (one in inside lane one in the middle lane) so the spray was really bad and all of a sudden almost rear ended a Korean Eco-box doing about 63mph* in the outside lane with NO lights on.

The worst of it is I don't think the driver even noticed that he almost got totaled by a huge black 4x4 because once we were passed the lorries and the two inside lanes were clear he continued to do 65 in the outside lines for a good couple of minutes until he actually noticed the massive queue of traffic behind him.

*Lorries are limited to 60 (I think it could actually be 62mph - ie 100kmh) to he was properly creaping past.
                    Not y3k compatible

Comment

60's the legal limit in the UK but many modern limiters are wired to 56 to match the 90kph Euro limit. +1 to the compact driver for slowing down while driving through the spray, but -100 for not putting their lights on! Honestly, if you can't see where you're going, why is it so hard to think that others might have the same problem?

I've put yellow bulbs in my front fog lights for added noticability, as my car's a big slab of grey otherwise...
                      Last edited by RealUnimportant; 03-18-2012, 10:51 AM.
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I've noticed that cars that are either black, white or silver are the most likely to not have their lights on, especially in bad weather, but also at night. There's nothing quite like that little frisson of fear that runs down your spine from your lizard brain when the black vehicle you never saw coming up behind you, because they didn't have their lights on during full dark), blows past you in traffic.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                          I've noticed that cars that are either black, white or silver are the most likely to not have their lights on, especially in bad weather, but also at night. There's nothing quite like that little frisson of fear that runs down your spine from your lizard brain when the black vehicle you never saw coming up behind you, because they didn't have their lights on during full dark), blows past you in traffic.
                          That's true, some friends of mine got into an accident because of a black car that was stalled, and even the hazard lights were off. This was at night obviously, and with no lights at all on that car, the driver didn't see it until it was almost too late.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                            I've noticed that cars that are either black, white or silver are the most likely to not have their lights on, especially in bad weather, but also at night.
                            Similar trend here too. It's always the idiots in the dark-colored vehicles that refuse to turn their headlights on. Sorry assholes, but even with your parking lights on...I still can't see you!
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth ADoyle90815 View Post
                              That's true, some friends of mine got into an accident because of a black car that was stalled, and even the hazard lights were off. This was at night obviously, and with no lights at all on that car, the driver didn't see it until it was almost too late.
                              Something similar happened to the brother of my sister's boyfriend last Christmas Day.

He was turning onto a road leaving a friend's house, heading home in his mom's brand new SUV. He'd just gotten past the train tracks and at this point the road forks.

Some idiot in a dark car was sitting IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROADWAY with NO LIGHTS whatsoever on and the boy tried to slam om brakes but still hit the vehicle.

Then the guy got out of his vehicle, had some choice words with the boy and then took off.

Not sure if the cops ever found the dude . . . haven't head any updates from my sister.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X