This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking the intersection

So, we're in the left turn lane, with a green light but no green arrow. The car ahead of us missed one nice, big gap to make it. They started slowly rolling out into the intersection, waiting for the next gap. Rolling...rolling...rolling.

I think they rolled so far that they could no longer see the light, as it went yellow, then red, and they were just sitting there. Cross traffic began to honk. After about 20-30 seconds, they realized that hey, oncoming traffic has stopped. However, they'd rolled so far ahead, they couldn't make the turn. They had to back up to finish it. That's right, folks. For a simple, 90-degree turn, they had to do a three-point in the middle of the intersection.

They immediately pulled into a FF restaurant, where they promptly cut someone off who was leaving the drive-thru.

Bonus

So after all this, we got the green arrow. We start to move. Woman in oncoming lanes is turning right onto the same road as us. She stops, makes direct eye contact with us as we are already moving, and at the last moment as we are completing our turn, proceeds to pull out in front of us! Cue Hubby slamming on the brakes and flipping the bird (horn was broken). I can't tell what this woman was thinking, but we came within inches of hitting her!

And a double-bonus: as we're behind this woman, I see a little head pop up in the back seat to turn and look at us. Her kid couldn't have been older than three. Mother of the Year right there, folks!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Why do people not understand right-of-way?????????????
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      Why do people not understand right-of-way?????????????
      What are you talking about? THEY have the right-of-way. Always, in all situations. YOU are the one who doesn't understand that you must give way to the ruler of the universe. Silly Food Lady, rules are for other people, not them.
      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

People hear the word "RIGHT" in right-of-way and think it's something that benefits them. Actually, you can't take right-of-way, it's only something you can give.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
          People hear the word "RIGHT" in right-of-way and think it's something that benefits them. Actually, you can't take right-of-way, it's only something you can give.
          pretty much the only rights that matter are theirs. everyone & everything else - including the law (even the laws of physics) - must bend to acknowledge their rights.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            pretty much the only rights that matter are theirs. everyone & everything else - including the law (even the laws of physics) - must bend to acknowledge their rights.
            You mean guys like the black Lexus coming off an on-ramp onto I80 when it was reduced to 1 lane by construction? Of course, the on-ramp had a "Yield" sign, but with bumper-to-bumper traffic on I80 there wouldn't be any gaps. I let the first car (a Subaru) in, but the Lexus tried to force his way in ("zipper" merge wasn't good enough for him, had to be "everyone from the on-ramp, then one vehicle from the highway"). Eventually, the Subaru stopped to let the asshat get in front of him, after it was clear that I wouldn't let him cut in.

Lexus driver obviously didn't realize 3 things:
            1. "Yield" means you are required to let the other guy go first. In heavy traffic, it's a COURTESY if someone creates a gap to let ONE car in.
            2. The right side is called the "blind side" for a reason.
            3. Pick on someone your own size - if there had been a collision, side impact beams don't mean squat against an 18 wheeler.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
            X