Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please learn basic US geography (kinda long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth auntiem View Post
    Zihuatanejo

Then they found out the price and went to Hawaii
    Zihuatanejo? Sounds interesting.

And, I'd be willing to bet roughly half of their friends went running for a map after being told they went to Hawaii anyway. "That's that part that sticks off Alaska, right?"
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I don't think that the lack of geographical knowledge is limited to Americans though. Case in point: several years ago, I went to Martinique over Christmas. We were staying with a family who's daughter was an exchange student a few years previous. Her brother was 20 or so, and studying to be a teacher. When he asked me where I was from and I said Minnesota, he didn't know where that was. He did know Wisconsin though, because that's where his sister stayed for a summer.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
        Zihuatanejo? Sounds interesting.

And, I'd be willing to bet roughly half of their friends went running for a map after being told they went to Hawaii anyway. "That's that part that sticks off Alaska, right?"
        Haha - you're probably right.

I just have to say that I just got off the phone where a client actually said "I'm sorry, I just realized I'm not prepared to do this right now. Let me go look at a map and call you back". Kudos!

Comment

Ok, I have to start out by saying that I am a nerd - I love geography, and just about every other subject. So I know that not everyone quizzes each other on state capitols, just for the fun of it, as my brother (fellow nerd) and I used to do. Having said that, I think it is important to know basic geography, not only of your own country but of the world. While I agree with one of the previous comments (sorry, can't remember which one) that there are plenty of more important things to know, I don't think you can call yourself educated without having a basic grasp of where places are, starting with your own country, the U.S. for example. Even if you can't name all the states by shape alone, you should have a basic idea of the general area of the country each state is located in - Northeast, Midwest, Plains, etc., and locate that region on the map.

Same goes for world geography - at least know the continent a country is located on! And there are enough countries that you can easily pick out as landmarks so that you can relate other countries to their general area.

I have noticed that most Canadians seem to be better at knowing U.S. geography than vice versa. I asked one of my Canadian customers one time if most Canadians knew where most of the U.S. states were located and he said yes, and my conversations with our customers seem to verify that. I was really surprised one time when I had a Canadian customer who had no idea where Pennsylvania was. He knew where New York was so I told him PA borders NY. That seems to be the exception though and not the rule (at least from my limited observations).

I don't know if schools here still teach much geography or what. When I was in middle school we spent quite a bit of time learning world geography, but that was back in the Dark Ages so I'm not sure if it's still taught that thoroughly. In any event it makes me sad to see stuff like that video on You Tube.
          Last edited by CurlyLocks; 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot a word
          "Full price for gum?! That dog won't hunt, monsignor." - Philip J. Fry

Comment

Quoth TheRoo View Post
            I don't think that the lack of geographical knowledge is limited to Americans though. Case in point: several years ago, I went to Martinique over Christmas. We were staying with a family who's daughter was an exchange student a few years previous. Her brother was 20 or so, and studying to be a teacher. When he asked me where I was from and I said Minnesota, he didn't know where that was. He did know Wisconsin though, because that's where his sister stayed for a summer.
            Well, to be fair to him, that's like expecting people to know exactly where Castile y Leon is located in Spain. (yes, I'm too lazy to do accent marks)

I do think it's a good idea for people to have half an idea where countries are roughly located, especially ones that have an impact on us as a nation, such as Iraq. But then, I have a terrible time with African and former Soviet Bloc countries. I can't keep them straight.

I did wow a persian girl one time, simply because I knew which Ayatolla was which, and pronounced their names correctly.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
              I thought the post was kind of funny. But if he does things you don't like under your name, or such like, are you sure this guy is a keeper?
              Nah, he's a keeper, but yeah, thank you for understanding. I really couldn't believe he WOULD do something like that, even if he did say something funny you don't impersonate another person/friend/partner unless they have given full permission to do so (and that’s pretty bad form), and don't worry I went ape on him, he's not going to be doing it again any time soon. I think I may have over reacted slightly, but yeah he won't do it again....I hope
              I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Quoth CurlyLocks View Post
                I have noticed that most Canadians seem to be better at knowing U.S. geography than vice versa.
                Yeah, but that's because the what goes on in the US is more important to Canadians than the other way around*. Also, the bulk of Canadians live within 200 km of the border, so they're closer to the border than most USians are to Canada.

* And my experience says that most Canadians prefer it to be that way, thank you very much.

Comment

I guess that's probably true.
                  "Full price for gum?! That dog won't hunt, monsignor." - Philip J. Fry

Comment

Quoth Binky View Post
                    I know what you mean most people in the US can't even point out where Australia is on the map. But I can understand that. Australia doesn't have electricity yet. We just had a bush telegraph installed last year. Soon Im going to have to go down to the river to get some drinking water, as we don't have taps
                    I've already seen your reply that this wasn't you, but wanted to tell a story. I was in New Zealand just a couple months ago and a tour guide liked to joke with us that New Zealand had just gotten TV, but it's black & white with no sound.

One of the first things we had to learn in 7th grade Social Studies was how to draw New York state freehand. I can still do it if asked.

Here's a game I've had a link to for several years that's a fun five minute break.
                    Place The State
                    Place all the states on a map of the US. Your score is based on the time it takes, and how far off you are when placing them. The order they come up is random. I found I can get in the 90% consistently. They've also got several other geography games.
                    Sheppard Software
                    Last edited by Ree; 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you. I wasn't trying to say that you should know each and every city in the US, just that if you are going somewhere it helps to know exactly where you are going. Assuming the state on the basis of the city name can HURT. Portland anyone?

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
                        Here's a game I've had a link to for several years that's a fun five minute break.
                        Place The State
                        That is a great game! Thanks!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                        X