Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have to go with penny guy. That sounded like a cold hearted act of revenge. He was waiting for the manager and it sounded like he had it planned out.

Comment

People try the "pay with pennies/coins" all the time at my store. When my cashiers ask me I tell them "no, they can go to a bank if they want bills for their change, my tills are not set up for large amounts of coins rolled or not" which isn't a lie. This is usually in the case of a lot of change not a buck or so. The big bill thing though, they get $5 bills for their change, and if we had $1 bills here in Canadia they'd get those lol.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
        They do that because technically the cashier HAS to accept it since it's legal currency. They're deliberatly being a complete dick when they do that. There should be a special place in hell reserved for assholes like that.
        Actually no. A business can refuse to take whatever they feel like refusing. (If that weren't the case, you wouldn't see the ubiquitous "We don't take bills $50 or higher" signs.) If a business only wants to take payment in copies of Super Mario Bros., Zimbabwaen Dollars, or Monopoly money, they can do that too.

Comment

I have been that total a-hole who gives rolls of quarters as change for 100s. I would always vote for the 100 dollar bill people. I just worked two third shifts and they should KNOW that at two in the morning the only thing they're getting for change is whatever ones I have in my drawer and however many rolls of quarters will come out of the safe.

It's my way of saying: It's the middle of the night, fuck you and the horse you road in on you ignorant asswipe.

But then again it might be because we don't have to put change in our drawer. We have machines for that stuff. And I don't bother counting it anyway. I make them count it out in front of me. If they want to count it out then they can pay with whatever they want.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
            Personally, I'm not quite sure why anybody carries around $100 bills. If you are poor and don't have a checking account, you likely don't have so much money that $20's will be a problem. If you have a proper bank account, there's also never any need to worry about needing bulky quantities of cash, as more is just a quick ATM trip away.

I could understand $100's before ubiquitous ATMs, but not now.
            Two words: tipped employees.

Like me. Take today. While it's been relatively slow recently, today I had a good day, making almost $300 in tips. At the end of my shift, I cashed out those tips, not just to make my wallet happier, but to make the cash drawer better and easier for the closer, who inherits my cash drawer. (The second bartender gets a fresh cash drawer unrelated to my cash drawer.) On days like this, you better damn well believe I take the fifties of hundreds. I usually end up depositing them in my bank, but sometimes spending them is unavoidable.

Also, my roommates give me their rent and utilities, and I pay the apartment complex and utility complex. Often my roommates pay me wholly or partially in hundreds, and I am fine with that. Actually makes my life easier.

Remember, just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't ever make sense.

Of course, just because it makes sense in my life, doesn't mean that a lot of these people paying with hundreds aren't still douchebags.

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
            I had a lady once who paid me a $30 purchase in quarters and yes they were all loose. I had to put most of them under the cash drawer that lifts out and after that the drawer was really heavy for a while.
            I still remember the time at my first waiter job where I made a killing (for me, for e time, for the business, but definitely nothing special today). Part of it was $21...in quarters. (This was from accumulated tips, mind you...no one was a dick and paid just in quarters.) That was the last day I ever kept my change in my rear pocket.

Quoth Brojekk View Post
            They do that because technically the cashier HAS to accept it since it's legal currency.
            In addition to the aforementioned comment about businesses who often DON'T accept such currency, I remind you of the phrase "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." Meaning not only don't I have to accept that bag of pennies, I don't have to sell you that item, for your pennies or any other cash you may have.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Coins is worse.

That said, anyone who carries around $100 bills and pays for anything less than $75 dollar orders with them is on my permanent enemies list.

Comment

It's a toss up. Penny guy is the bigger asshole, but $100 guy is more annoying. You can dump pennies in the cash drawer and the only person who gripes is the cash office. Getting a $100 will typically wipe you out on smaller bills. Both are assholes, penny guy should roll that shit up, $100 guy should make a larger order or break the bill at a bank.

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                They do that because technically the cashier HAS to accept it since it's legal currency. They're deliberatly being a complete dick when they do that. There should be a special place in hell reserved for assholes like that.
                At least in the US, businesses are allowed to refuse service to anyone (except on the basis of a protected status like race, gender, sexual orientation, etc). It's typically management who will say you HAVE to accept it since it's legal currency.

Comment

If you're buying $70+ worth of stuff with a $100 bill, that's fine. Perfectly understandable and acceptable, and I usually have enough change for that. It's the ones who make very small purchases, usually $5 or less, and pay with a $100 bill that tick me off, especially first thing in the morning when we darn well don't have that much money in the till.

And the all change guys...cash registers are not built to handle that much loose change. The change compartments in my till are each roughly half the size of a teacup. No way can you fit $10 worth of pennies in there!

So yeah, go to a bank and exchange your loose change or $100 bills there for more usable currency. The next cashier will greatly appreciate it.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Jester has a good point about tipped EE's -- I've been in that situation, myself x.x

But I at least acted contrite to the cashier the few times I've ended up doing that >_> Many of the custys I've experienced/heard of doing that (a) are smug about it and (b) have a wallet literally stuffed full of smaller bills.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      If you're buying $70+ worth of stuff with a $100 bill, that's fine. Perfectly understandable and acceptable, and I usually have enough change for that. It's the ones who make very small purchases, usually $5 or less, and pay with a $100 bill that tick me off, especially first thing in the morning when we darn well don't have that much money in the till.
                      And this is really the thing. I take $100's and $50's all the time, it's usually for a hotel room that STARTS at $70 + tax. I don't mind the big bills, it makes counting out the drawer at the end of my shift easier too. Of course, buy a $2 water at the sundry shop with a $100, and we'll have issues.

Its not dickish to use a $100 at the grocery store for your weekly shopping, or the last place I used them was a store selling me a $400 item, 4 100's and $20's for the tax, everyone was happy.

Comment

Neither scenario in and of itself really phases me much. I can usually break down and count change fairly quickly. If I have change for $100 bills, then it's not a big deal to me for that either. Whatever gets them in and out as quickly as possible so I can move on to something else.

Here are some things I do hate in no particular order:
                        1. If you bring in a large amount of change, don't bitch that you're in a hurry. I don't give a crap about you at that point. I'm the one responsible for the money in the drawer. Since it's my butt on the line, we're playing the game my way, or you can take your change and shove it elsewhere.

2. If you expect to use $100 bill to pay for a small purchase, don't bother asking for special change requests. Take what you get, and be glad I accommodated you at all. Also, you don't get sympathy if I am running low on change. That's just your tough luck. I don't want to hear it, and will promptly make it clear that I don't give a damn about your whiny problems.

3. Don't bother with fake bullshit "apologies." I know better than that, so just stop with the nonsense. Get your shit and get out of my sight. If you really were sorry, you wouldn't pull this crap in the first place.

I haven't vented on here in a while because I just try not to think about this stuff when I'm not at my station in Hell. These are just some of my thoughts while on duty, and customers are the biggest reason why I generally volunteer to do trash, coolers, cleaning, or just about any other task that doesn't require social interaction. Despite my hatred for the general public, I really do like some customers who have proven themselves to be awesome people, but I still hate the general public because I work in retail.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                          Personally, I'm not quite sure why anybody carries around $100 bills. If you are poor and don't have a checking account, you likely don't have so much money that $20's will be a problem. If you have a proper bank account, there's also never any need to worry about needing bulky quantities of cash, as more is just a quick ATM trip away.

I could understand $100's before ubiquitous ATMs, but not now.
                          I know at least one person who carries around large sums of cash in mostly 100's. There's a darned good reason he doesn't keep money in a bank account right now, but I don't want to go into details on a public forum.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

The guy with the $100 was probably more for impression than actual need for the $100. Sorry, dude. You'd impress me more if you HANDED me the $100 and told me to "keep the change."

There is absolutely nothing more irritating than having both types in a row. When I worked at WM, I had a little ol' lady decide to pay $10 in change from her purse... followed right after by the paying for the $3 purchase with a $100. Nothing like that combination to both slow you down and wipe out your till.

So, to answer the question, YES.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                            X